R15's in Oz

Stuey

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Simple one - was the R15 only sold here in Australia in the 1565cc version, or did we also get the 1289cc?

Stuey

Only the 15TS R1302 1565cc version was sold in AUS. Although there are at least two private import 15TL's kicking around with the 1289cc motor.

Simon said:
Only the 15TS R1302 1565cc version was sold in AUS. Although there are at least two private import 15TL's kicking around with the 1289cc motor.

I don't know about only two 15TL's kicking around, I've got one and I know of at least two others over here. Mine is an R1300

David.

David Cavanagh said:
I don't know about only two 15TL's kicking around, I've got one and I know of at least two others over here. Mine is an R1300

David.

Note that in my reply I did say at least two 15TL's. I'm in no doubt that there would be a few more around the place. Just like that there are at least two of the big sunroof version 17's kicking around in AUS.

Hmmm...thanks. I'm looking at a TS this weekend - a bit of a scrapper, but apparently an ex-show car and with loads of parts and panels. A nice project for 2004. We'll see.

Stuey said:
Hmmm...thanks. I'm looking at a TS this weekend - a bit of a scrapper, but apparently an ex-show car and with loads of parts and panels. A nice project for 2004. We'll see.

Beware! 15's and 17's rust in all sorts of unusual places!! Front door pillars, check for rust at the base of the pillar adjacent to the sill, this is the visible part, it can mean the double skinning where the door bolts on to is very thin or that the top of the sill has rusted away, check plenum chamber inside the engine compartment, check the double skinned rear panel under the tailgate, also top of tailgate and the rear edge of the roof and the front of the chassis rails adjacent to the lower wishbone mounting (the sides of the rail, the bottom is a double skin). These are all in addition to the usual rust checks of floors, sills, bonnet, front guards.......

Thanks Simon. I've gone off it a bit because the guy said it's an auto that's he's converted to a manual. Don't like the sound of that. Still, I wouldn't mind the motor, front brakes, anti-roll bars etc. etc. to reco and stick on a 12, and he's asking a mere pittance for it....

Stuey

Stuey said:
Thanks Simon. I've gone off it a bit because the guy said it's an auto that's he's converted to a manual. Don't like the sound of that. Still, I wouldn't mind the motor, front brakes, anti-roll bars etc. etc. to reco and stick on a 12, and he's asking a mere pittance for it....

Stuey

Auto to manual trans conversion is no big problem, if it is done properly, you just lose some footroom for the clutch because of the bigger trans bulge.

With the front brakes, if the car is in pieces, make sure that it has the full set of vented discs, 15/17 front hubs, two piece calipers and bigger caliper brackets. Otherwise you could end up with a mix of incompatible 12 and 15 bits.......

Europa said:
I wonder if the auto "le bulge" is the same as the R17TS/Gordini 5 speed bulge?

Certainly that is a little intrusive, but does provide a handy clutch foot rest :)

Non, la bulge d'automatique est plus grand que la bulge TS/G.

Simon said:
With the front brakes, if the car is in pieces, make sure that it has the full set of vented discs, 15/17 front hubs, two piece calipers and bigger caliper brackets. Otherwise you could end up with a mix of incompatible 12 and 15 bits.......
Simon, the car's in 'good running order' so the brakes etc. should be OK. I was just going to check that the ventilated discs were there - I thought they were a bolt on to a 12 - are they? Incidentally, he has a shed load of panels and parts, and had stripped the manual 15 that he got the box from. Still, 'er indoors is asking where I'm going to put it while all this stripping is going on - assuming that I buy it. :mad: My shed's already full of bits and pieces.:whistle:

Stuey said:
Simon, the car's in 'good running order' so the brakes etc. should be OK. I was just going to check that the ventilated discs were there - I thought they were a bolt on to a 12 - are they? Incidentally, he has a shed load of panels and parts, and had stripped the manual 15 that he got the box from. Still, 'er indoors is asking where I'm going to put it while all this stripping is going on - assuming that I buy it. :mad: My shed's already full of bits and pieces.:whistle:

Stuey,

1. Previous owner replaced auto with manual? There's the first plus!

2. Shed full? Can't be. There's always room for something else!

3. Not bad cars - sort of fastback R12 with the 16 motor. Quite sweet. Can you buy tyres???

JohnW

Stuey said:
I was just going to check that the ventilated discs were there - I thought they were a bolt on to a 12 - are they?

Yep, just swap the hubs and caliper brackets over onto the existing 12 stub axle carrier. Also the 15/17 has a larger diameter master cylinder, so while its all in pieces it may be worth changing that over too.

John W said:
3. Not bad cars - sort of fastback R12 with the 16 motor. Quite sweet. Can you buy tyres???

JohnW

I quite like the idea of a 15TL it has the 15 body with my fave iron block motor :)

As for tyres, who knows how long 155x13's will be made before they become rare and go into "classic" production like TRX's and 145x15's?? :)

Stuey said:

Stuey

The auto bulge is a plus, as it means you can put a 5 speed in it!

Also where is it? If you don't want it I could do with some spares. :rolleyes:

Ahhhhh...thanks guys. Another thing I didn't mention is that it has "Renault alloys" on it - I assume Cosmics - so 155's are unlikely!

We'll see...

Stu

Simon said:
Yep, just swap the hubs and caliper brackets over onto the existing 12 stub axle carrier. Also the 15/17 has a larger diameter master cylinder, so while its all in pieces it may be worth changing that over too.

I quite like the idea of a 15TL it has the 15 body with my fave iron block motor :)

As for tyres, who knows how long 155x13's will be made before they become rare and go into "classic" production like TRX's and 145x15's?? :)

Tyres - the risk is that they won't be made at all, even as "classic" products. Michelin do not make a tyre the correct size for a Renault 16. Full stop.

JohnW

Well, I had a look. Virtually beyond restoration because of rust, as I suspected, but worse because of small dents and off-coloured panels. It'd had a shunt in the front at some time in it's life, too.

The guy had a full set of spare panels in good nick, including a good bonnet and two hatches, but the sills were shot. The interior was absolutely terrible, and it had what looked like really bad condition Fuego seats in it. The gear conversion was shoddy too, by the look of the gear stick mounting. Also had a Fuego steering wheel. Contrary to the advertisement ('good running order') it had a flat battery, so the running qualities couldn't be checked. And yes, the wheels were Cosmics. I'm still considering whether I can stand having the body around while I strip it of its useful hardware.

By the way John W, the guy showed me photos of it lined up at the Perth FCD a few years ago. ("ex-show car" - Harumph!) It's red, still with the Automatic badges on it.

Stuey

Last edited:
Stuey said:
Well, I had a look. Virtually beyond restoration because of rust, as I suspected, but worse because of small dents and off-coloured panels. It'd had a shunt in the front at some time in it's life, too.

By the way John W, the guy showed me photos of it lined up at the Perth FCD a few years ago. ("ex-show car" - Harumph!) It's red, still with the Automatic badges on it.

Stuey

I vaguely remember a red 15 that turned up one year at Claremont - could easily be 8 - 10 years back. It didn't sit in my memory as a particularly good car, whatever that means. Being Perth, it sounds as if the car hasn't been garaged and maybe has been in the western suburbs!!

If it's cheap enough the wheels sound nice.... If any of the trim and external fittings are any good, there's some hard to get bits but it doesn't sound too promising. The sort of car where all that's left is what never wears out anyway...

JohnW

John, yes, it's too far gone. I decided I didn't want it in the front of the house (the only space I have) while I strip it down. If anyone wants the details PM me, especially if you need panels for a 15/17. It's only $200.

Stuey