R15 with hot cam and twin webers

deja vu 25

Fellow Frogger
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could give me any rough ideas of the extra performance I will gain with a hotish cam - say phase 3 or 4 grind and dual 40DCOE's?

Am I wishful thinking in the 0-100kmh range of 8 to 9 seconds?? say an extra 20 hp?

I would love to have performance figures from other owners of R15/17's that have hotted up their cars.

Cheers

Luke

Hey Luke

I've recently placed a warmish 807-10 engine in my R17.
Alan Moore probably knows more about it then I do as he assembled it.
It has a bigger then normal cam, specs are unknown.
Ports have been cleaned up.
Bottom end has been balanced.
I had the 40DCOE's on it, but I found that they went out of tune too easy. It was just annoying for me as I use the car daily.
So for the time being I have stuck the standard carb back on. Which works fine.

Mind you I don’t have extractors, my exhaust consists of 1¾’ inch system.

I think a standard R17TL ran a 11 sec 0-100 time, so you'd probably get a lowish 10 or maybe 9 sec time.

In taking the Webers off I've found that I haven't lost a great deal of power it’s just off the line its not as good, and the response isn't as good. I can handle that though.

With the single carby on, it Idles very lumpy, sounds tuff though

I'll probably be putting them back on soon, as I miss the sound.
I also want to see what HP I can get out of it.

Then I’ll go turbo.

Hey Luke,
I added a free flow exhaust (2-1/4") and twin dellortos to my 17, as most people will tell you, you should do the cam/head at the same time. I didn't (I am building another motor) but I definitely noticed the difference- around 10-15hp and sounds heaps better too.

From a similar post that I made here, most seem to agree that a cam, carb, exhaust and a little head work result in about 30-40hp gain, of course that depends on how agressive you want to be- with the cam and head work.... Ray Bell reckoned that a particular piston design used in the 70's was the key to unlocking more power , however I have to go with what my budget and availability allows....

Performance from my R17 (now with fuego gearbox and motor -1647cc) does around 10 secs 0-100- only revving to 5500rpm though- until I get the new(stronger) motor ;)Hope that is of some help...

Ben

As far as performance goes I've tried timing my cars and the nearest I can get is the 17G 0-100 in 9.5 sec and a top speed of 180kph and the 12G 0-100 in 8 sec and a top speed of 210kph. This should give you an idea of what a 120hp R17 and a 160hp R12 should do.

David.

i don't know the figures but the i remember taking a 17 for a drive that had been turboed and that seemed to go fairly well
i don't know where the car ever ended up
last time i saw it it was in moss vale
brown coloured 17 that on the outside looked totally standard :D

My fairly hot 15 with Webers, cam. compression, valves etc, ran 16 flat on the quarter,at 89 mph with a 2.6 sec 60 ft, but I had a slow starts on standard tyres. Top speed was 210 at 7200rpm with a 12 diff.