R15 for $7,500 on eBay!

Yeah, I buy photographic gear on eBay - the protection that's best is the feedback system. That is, if the seller has few sales, forget it. If they have a good number of sales and less than 98% positive feedback, forget it. If the item is very expensive and the person has less than 100% feedback, forget it. If the person asks for strange payment terms, forget it. If they give retaliatory feedback, forget it... Basically, I don't buy unless the person seems squeaky clean. And I simply wouldn't buy a car on eBay under any circumstances...

(Alastair, good to hear!)

Stuey

The 'Weiss Bar' is back, still dreaming of $7,500.

Ren

The 15TS is a great car! Just got back from my 6 day trip trip around western NSW with some car enthusiasts. The only thing that went wrong was the blinkers, which I fixed with a new flasher can. The car did about 36mpg (sorry - I can only understand mpg) travelling between 90 and 100kmh.
So for $650, you too can buy a great car, but not for $7,500 for a Weiss Bar!!

Alastair Browne said:
So for $650, you too can buy a great car, but not for $7,500 for a Weiss Bar!!
$650 for a running R15TS has got to be a bargin. Then again, you could put it in a shed for 18 years and you could then add a zero to your $650 and offer it for sale at $6500.

Ren
:cheers:

There has to be more to it. why did he bother restoring it? so it could look nice in his garage for 18 years? i wouldnt touch it with a 40 foot pole.

Last edited:
BogMaster said:
....plus I look back and sometimes regret having hammered Daniel quite so hard over his R19 auto - it was unkind...fun at the time but in retrospect unkind
:snail:

Bogmaster,

You big hippy!

Looks like you're going soft.

"this is the dawning of the age of Aquarius........"

camlv said:
There has to be more to it. why did he bother restoring it? so it could look nice in his garage for 18 years? i wouldnt touch it with a 40 foot pole.

Well, they did drive it around for a short time after the restoration but yes, it does sound very odd doesn't it. Spend a wedge of cash doing up a car to your tastes and then stick it in a shed for the best part of 2 decades. You'd hardly do it as an investment but I guess there are some eccentric people around.

REN TIN TIN said:
Well, they did drive it around for a short time after the restoration but yes, it does sound very odd doesn't it. Spend a wedge of cash doing up a car to your tastes and then stick it in a shed for the best part of 2 decades. You'd hardly do it as an investment but I guess there are some eccentric people around.

At least the car ended up being restored, I bet there are many "gunna" restoration jobs from 18 years ago that have been left with windows down and are now beyond redemption. Even though that 15 isn't really to my taste it would hopefully have a nice rust free body that will be around in another 18 years! What with the price of original good quality Hot Rod conversions from the 1950's and 60's of 1920's to 30's cars, that 1980's interpretation of a 15 could be worth much more than a stock 15 in another 18 years!! :)

Simon said:
At least the car ended up being restored, I bet there are many "gunna" restoration jobs from 18 years ago that have been left with windows down and are now beyond redemption. Even though that 15 isn't really to my taste it would hopefully have a nice rust free body that will be around in another 18 years! What with the price of original good quality Hot Rod conversions from the 1950's and 60's of 1920's to 30's cars, that 1980's interpretation of a 15 could be worth much more than a stock 15 in another 18 years!! :)
Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that someone went to the trouble of restoring this R15. There are too many good <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" /><st1:Sn>Renaults</st1:Sn> going to the crusher that could easily be restored to running condition, and for not a lot of money (but probably more money then they’re worth).

I just have an issue with the price being asked.

Where did this figure come from? A condition 1 R15 (if you can find one of course) would be lucky to reach $2,500 - $3,000. It may not be as good as this particular R15 but it would probably be registered and roadworthy and have some recent history. The guy probably did spend a wedge on the restoration but, again, that was 18 years ago and it is a very rare event when someone actually recovers the money one spends on a restoration when they sell the car.

Also remember that this is an auction and the $7,500 is the starting bid only, presumably he’s hoping for more.

Ren
:cheers: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><o:p></o:p>[/color]

<o:p></o:p>[/color]</P>

</P>[/color]</FONT>

Last edited: