R12 vs R12 Gordini Chassis

Azure

Fellow Frogger
Bonjour a tous!

Well ... I finally managed to get a hold of a R12 Gordini engine for my R12 which I plan to Gordinise. Other than the bonnet scoop and rear wings, are there any major 'structural' differences between a R12 chassis and that of the Gordini. In particular, is the R12 chassis as stiff as the R12G? Dave, would you have any idea???

:) Sylvain

Howdy Sylvain (yawwwn)...check this old thread:

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000133;p=" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000133;p=</a>

Stuey

<small>[ 07 November 2002, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Stuey ]</small>

Good morning Stuey! (or is that good night??)

Thanks for that ... it's the perfect thread :eek: )
Now I need to find an old 17 ..... mmm :rolleyes:

dance Sylvain

love those graemlins approve

The 12G shell is basically similar to the stock 12 shell, but there is reinforcing under the front chassis rails like the 15/17, as well as some reinforcement on the rear trailing arm mounts as used on the 15/17 and really early 12's. If you want to make a proper look-alike replica you would have to fit a fuel filler in the LHR quarter panel, likely the one from a 12 wagon and use a 12 wagon tank, then fill the hole in the rear panel. If you really want to go to town for an "authentic" replica, you will also need a LHD firewall, as all 12G's are RHD from the factory :).

Simon

I think there might be a typo there - 12G's are LHD from the factory?

I suppose you could also get picky about the fuel tank - the 12 Wagon solution would be good for a faux 12G, but to go the whole hog you need the full on long range tank (80 litres?)

Oh and don't forget the extra dials & switches on the dash :)

The 12G is actually built on a 17 floorpan not a 12, not much difference between them except that the 17 is stiffer. No 12G's were built in RHD, quickest way to pick an original if you can't remember the 1173 number is to check weather it has a LHD firewall or not. All 12G's have been converted and finally the fuel filler for the 90 litre (not 80) tank on the left 1/4 panel is deeper than the 12 wagon, the 12 wagon will do as the reel thing is impossible to copy without having one to copy from and uses a much larger fuel filler, they use the same filler neck as 504, aftermarket locking caps will say suit 504/12 Gordini. The 12 sedan fuel filler in the back panel next to the number plate is a recessed panel not just a flat panel like people think it is. Any other questions?
By the way I bet no one knew that one of the original 6 R12G's was sold last week, I'm not saying who's as it's the new owners job to announce it (if he wants to).

David.

Cool,

Thanks guys ... you're a wealth of information!! No more questions for now untill I actually start working on the project ... I'll have to pay my parents off for the engine first :) So come on ... who's the new gordini owner!! Own up :) hehe

My parents live in France ... so maybe i'll try and get a r12G chassis from there ... I've noticed a few Gordini's sold over there this year. Also, from what i gather, you can import a LHD car over 30 years old and register it here in victoria without converting it to RHD.

Sylvain

Azure:
Cool,

Also, from what i gather, you can import a LHD car over 30 years old and register it here in victoria without converting it to RHD.

Sylvain
Yep, and that way you get to keep the quick rack as well!

Sylvain,
If you want to import a genuine 12G I can put you in touch with someone in Melbourne who imports cars for a living, he knows French cars, knows all about 12G's (cause I earbash him enough)and is already responsable for bringing in various Alpines and Gordini's. I am also interested in bringing in a genuine 12G to use for parts but I don't speak French and trying to get them to reply to Aussie emails about a car they've got for sale seems all to hard.
My problem is, I can get it here but I can't buy it over there (unless I go there myself).

David.

well hi all as dave said a 12 g was sold last week i am the owner i am rccv member for several years an i renault 12 nut so this is my ultyimate car for me i have a page in rccv mag bedrocks renault ramblew on all things renault an no a far bit about 12s my family has owned for 30 years an my personel 12 is clean an as dave can attest as he sold it to me a very clean car with a few mods been done so there u have it folks the 12g is mine an going to be an ongoing project

Bonjour David,

I'm able to get stuff in France thanks to family ... the R12G engine is currently sitting in their garage. Yes, getting in touch with someone who imports cars will be very useful. If you need any help with the French language, I'm happy to help ... I miss speaking French since my folks left ... ... but I still have the Renaults :)

David Cavanagh:
Sylvain,
If you want to import a genuine 12G I can put you in touch with someone in Melbourne who imports cars for a living, he knows French cars, knows all about 12G's (cause I earbash him enough)and is already responsable for bringing in various Alpines and Gordini's. I am also interested in bringing in a genuine 12G to use for parts but I don't speak French and trying to get them to reply to Aussie emails about a car they've got for sale seems all to hard.
My problem is, I can get it here but I can't buy it over there (unless I go there myself).

David.

well azzure u wanna no who i am well are u a renault car club memebr becuasde maybe u should be but if your not i have had several award winning r 12s through the yeRS AN MY CURRENT ONE is the r12 which will be on display in melbourne at the wheels car of years display an any reanult fan can tell u my white 12tl is anything but an ordinary 12 with the mods been done to it an work gone into it it makes for a great road car an hnady but not qiute quick enough car but is very neat an tidy to look at an handles very nicely an has never been restored just very well looked after an most of it is all thanks to dave as he sold me the damn thing a few years ago but dave wil agree it is a neat car

Congrats Daniel! :)

No i'm not a Renault Club Member yet ... how do I join? I so must go to the car of the year display ... when is it on? It's great to see r12 in such good condition. Take extra care of your new baby wink

Sylvain

well the car show is in at federation square in melb on tuesday all day the 23rd or 26 th of november an i will have car club information with me an photos of the 12 g so i will be there all day an if u can get hold of either the diamond valley news or the heidleburger my car is going to be in those 2 leader papersas that is my local area sorry so long for the reply been in hospitl so hope to see u there bye for now