R12 Starter Motors

REN TIN TIN

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
The Paris-Rhone starter motor in my R12 is starting to play up (solenoid) and I have to do something about it very soon.
I have a couple of reconditioned Bosch R12 starter motors that I can use but am reluctant to put one of these in because, being longer than the Paris-Rhone starters, they’re such a pain in the arse to fit.
Does anyone know of an easy way of getting a Bosch starter in (and out) of a R12 that doesn’t involve removing (or undoing) the off-side engine mount?

Ren
cheers!

REN TIN TIN:
The Paris-Rhone starter motor in my R12 is starting to play up (solenoid) and I have to do something about it very soon.
I have a couple of reconditioned Bosch R12 starter motors that I can use but am reluctant to put one of these in because, being longer than the Paris-Rhone starters, they’re such a pain in the arse to fit.
Does anyone know of an easy way of getting a Bosch starter in (and out) of a R12 that doesn’t involve removing (or undoing) the off-side engine mount?

Ren
cheers!
Rennie, I may have a new solenoid (I have a pile of them but not sure if they are for the Paris Rhone so I'll have to check against a spare starter I have here)) in the cupboard somewhere. If I have the right one you are welcome to it for the cost of postage. I'll check on Saturday.

cheers!

<small>[ 24 July 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

I went out in the cold then and checked the cupboard. I have a Paris Rhone Solenoid new in box (several of the mongrels).

cheers!

Ren, just one thing. Don't know what your symptoms are, but my P-R played up and it was the big rivets at the end of the casing - they weren't making decent contact. I peened them over with a ball pein hammer. This was causing the starter to not work, or just click, from memory. How I noticed was by the blue sparks around the rivets.

Stuey

BogMaster:
I went out in the cold then and checked the cupboard. I have a Paris Rhone Solenoid new in box (several of the mongrels).

cheers!
I've decided to stick with the Paris Rhone myself because of size and ease of replacement.

Will you sell me one of those solenoids too?

Ta

JohnW

Thanks guys.

The problem I have with the solenoid is that the heavy copper strip attached to the solenoid plunger is badly pitted and burnt and doesn’t make proper contact with the fixed terminals.
The solenoid engages okay but there isn’t any power getting to the starter motor itself. I might have to try the starter up to a dozen times before it finally makes contact and the motor turns over.
The fixed contacts themselves looked okay after a clean but the moving contact didn’t improve much after I cleaned it. I suppose I could get a piece of copper, cut it to shape and fix it over the existing copper strip.
Anyway, I’ve already got these reconditioned Bosch starter motors (and an additional reconditioned Bosch solenoid) and I hate wasting things. Some poor bastard went to the trouble of fixing these up and then found no one wanted them.

Bog, can you send me an EMAIL with how much you want for the solenoid, where to send the payment etc.

Ren
cheers!

REN TIN TIN:
Thanks guys.

The problem I have with the solenoid is that the heavy copper strip attached to the solenoid plunger is badly pitted and burnt and doesn’t make proper contact with the fixed terminals.
The solenoid engages okay but there isn’t any power getting to the starter motor itself. I might have to try the starter up to a dozen times before it finally makes contact and the motor turns over.
The fixed contacts themselves looked okay after a clean but the moving contact didn’t improve much after I cleaned it. I suppose I could get a piece of copper, cut it to shape and fix it over the existing copper strip.
Anyway, I’ve already got these reconditioned Bosch starter motors (and an additional reconditioned Bosch solenoid) and I hate wasting things. Some poor bastard went to the trouble of fixing these up and then found no one wanted them.

Bog, can you send me an EMAIL with how much you want for the solenoid, where to send the payment etc.

Ren
cheers!
OK fellas, I don't want to dud anyone. There are at least three lots of solenoids in the cupboard ,marked Paris Rhone. The list I was given with the parts has three entries but it is old and the part numbers are illegible.

I will dig all three lots out tomorrow and iuf need be post jpegs here to make sure that what I have is what you need. My spare motors turned out to be Bosch and Ducellier.(I've got Ducellier solenoids too if anyone needs one).

I reckon that $10 all up including the postage would be fine as I'm never going to use the things at this rate and I've already covered the cost of the parts by flogging off other bits.

Once I post the pics just let me know and I'll post out the correct solenoids to people who are interested. I'm not sure exactly how many are there but there are several.

If you can give me a Renault part number or a Paris Rhone model number (stamped on the solenoid) it might make things easier.

cheers!

<small>[ 25 July 2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

I'm still working on the jpegs...need new batteries for the camera.

However I have retrieved what I think is all the Paris Rhone solenoids from the shed.

The Renault part numbers are:

08 55 740 400

These solenoids have an elliptical plate at the operating end. It has four holes, presumably for bolts or rivets. The plunger is around 10mm diameter. There is a cut out section at the end of the plunger and this is pinned through by a rivet. The Paris Rhone number for these ones is CED 401

These ones attach to the starter motor through the four threaded studs protruding from the plunger end.

The plunger is a threaded rod

The Paris Rhone number is CED 408

The trivial pursuit info is that the CED 401 solenoids were used on mercury outboard motors. Some of the boxes I have are Renault boxes with the Mercury labels stuck over them.

Anyway let me know if this info is enough. If not I'll charge up the batteries and post pics.

cheers!

The Renault part numbers are:

08 55 740 400

These solenoids have an elliptical plate at the operating end. It has four holes, presumably for bolts or rivets. The plunger is around 10mm diameter. There is a cut out section at the end of the plunger and this is pinned through by a rivet. The Paris Rhone number for these ones is CED 401

HMMMM, Bog, looks like the solenoids you have are different from the ones I need.

There aren't any numbers on the solenoid itself (without dismantling the starter/ solenoid).
But the solenoid is the 3 stud type and according to the Renault parts manual, the part numbers could be either 7701 012 237(a) or 7701 017 406(b).
(I don't know what the a and b mean. Never could decipher the Renault parts manual.)

Thanks for looking Bog.

Ren
cheers!

Usually the (a) and (b) refers to a running part change. IIRC, checking the bottom of the page will indicated the oval plate number range that the part numbers apply to.

Remember the old owners manuals - The Oval Plate numbers are what you need for all parts requests! :D

Thanks Europa, always wondered what that meant. The oval plate isn't going to help. The motor (and starter motor) are from another car, a 1980 Virage.

In any event, the solenoid is a three stud type and the on'e on offer are four and neither part number is remotely close to the part number that Bogmaster has quoted.

Ren
cheers!