R12 seat belts

Stuey

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Does anyone know how to remove the front inertia reel belts from a '76 R12? Where are the bolt/nut heads? Inside the car's sill, or do the plastic covers come off the reel to reveal the nuts?

Thanks

Stuey

Rip off the alloy strips from the door sill, pull down the carpet, bolts are at either side of the reel housing. The reel bolts to the side sill.

The upper mounting bolt is under the plastic cover, push it upwards to get it off.

Don't know abouth an 86 model, my 80 model has two bolts either side of the reel-box, under the carpet.
I think the 86 model was Aussie-assembled so could use locally sourced belts and be different.

Ren
cheers!

REN TIN TIN:
Don't know abouth an 86 model, my 80 model has two bolts either side of the reel-box, under the carpet.
I think the 86 model was Aussie-assembled so could use locally sourced belts and be different.

Ren
cheers!
Hmm, do tell more about this Aussie assembled 1986 model???

Actually all 12's and Virages originally sold in AUS were Aussie assembled, apart from this mysterious '86 model that I've never heard about :).

All the 12's onwards from Jan 1975 and Virages to the end have the same system of bolting the inertia reel to the sill. The later 12 1.4's and Virages with cut pile carpet have the bolts covered with plastic as the carpet doesn't extend up the sills.

Simon

Hi Stuey

What are you going to replace them with ... or are you going to have the webbing replaced by those guys in Welshpool who are the only WA police-approved belt repairer?

They are produced, they seem to be a fairly generic design. R12 ones were listed in a seat belt replacement catalogue in one of the big auto accessory places here.

Simon

I'd seen a listing on the back of a Securon (brand) seat belt box in Marlows, for another car. However, on closer inspection today, I noticed they only list static belts. I wouldn't worry about myself, but I occasionally carry my youngsters in their booster seats, and the belts are a bit tired to be safe.

Stuey

Following Simon's tip, I'd try Repco and Coventry's to check out alternatives. You can also ring Klippan Safety Products direct - 1 800 804 588

Otherwise, try Aircraft Upholstery Service, 93A Leach Highway Kewdale for re-webbing - Ph. 9353 3932

Virage Racer:
Following Simon's tip, I'd try Repco and Coventry's to check out alternatives. You can also ring Klippan Safety Products direct - 1 800 804 588

Otherwise, try Aircraft Upholstery Service, 93A Leach Highway Kewdale for re-webbing - Ph. 9353 3932
Many thanks for this information - just what I needed as well, as it happens.

Cheers

JohnW

Simon,

Okay, I stuffed up; the 86 should have been 76 (although 12's were still being built in 86 in South America, Turkey and possibly other places).
And yes, the 80 Virage didn't have carpet extending up the sills originally but the one I was looking at had been recarpeted with the earlier type carpet that extends up the inner sills. (I think the earlier carpet that covers the sills looks more 'finished'). The Virage had black vinyl glued to the inner sill.
I know the 76 plated 12’s were Aussie assembled but wasn’t sure about the 1980 type as it would have been around this time or slightly after when Renault Australia pulled the plug. If you say all 12’s and Virages were assembled here, I bow to your greater knowledge.

Ren
cheers!

Stuey:
I'd seen a listing on the back of a Securon (brand) seat belt box in Marlows, for another car.
Securon belts are really dodgy looking garbage. Unfortunately many auto parts stores (like many Repco branches) only stock them and not the much superior Klippan products.

Klippan seem to be the best belts generally available. I just bought 2 inertia reel Klippan belts for the front of my 505. They cost $90 each.

Dave

fiveohs

Securon belts are really dodgy looking garbage. Unfortunately many auto parts stores (like many Repco branches) only stock them and not the much superior Klippan products.

Klippan seem to be the best belts generally available. I just bought 2 inertia reel Klippan belts for the front of my 505. They cost $90 each.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I hadn't actually looked in the boxes. (How come my quotes aren't in bold?)

Stuey