R12 Gear ratios

Azure

Fellow Frogger
Quick question ...

I was wondering what were the gear ratios for a standard 12 box, if anyone has them handy??

Merci,

Sylvain

1969-1976 R12 4 speed
Diff Ratio 3.778:1 (9 x 34)
1st 3.61
2nd 2.26
3rd 1.48
4th 1.03
Reverse 3.08

1976 onwards 4 speed
Diff Ratio 3.778:1 (9 x 34)
1st 3.818
2nd 2.235
3rd 1.48
4th 1.03
Reverse 3.08

12 Gordini 5 speed
Diff Ratio 3.77:1 (9x34)
1st 3.62
2nd 2.34
3rd 1.61
4th 1.22
5th 0.94
Reverse 3.08

Ok, Simon, if you think you're so clever... :D

My 12 is around the changeover point of the boxes in '76. How do you tell which one you've got? I was told by Norm from Caravelle ages ago (ie. when he was still there) but have forgotten.

Cheers

Stu

No, I'm not so clever really.

In a big nutshell though, if the car is a 12XL(later dash, four spoke steering wheel, different bumpers and grille), 12 1.4, or Virage it will have the later gearbox with lower first gear. There are a number of different gearboxes used in the AUS spec vehicles, so without the ovalplate number of the car it is difficult to give the exact type which would have been fitted originally.

Simon

Simon

Wouldn't the type number number on the gearbox indentify the ratios. eg. I think the early boxes were type 352/21. etc.

Ren
cheers!

I was describing the kerbside non clothes dirtying rule of thumb method of determining whether a 12 was likely to have an early or late gearbox. Obviously the tag on the gearbox (if it is lucky enough to still be on there) is the primary identifier of the gearbox.

But there are at least 25 types of gearbox that were used in 12's throughout the world.

Simon

Now I remember a conversation that one of the Renault Newstar competitors was having with Peter Brock at Phillip Island...

Was there someone named Roberts? Anyway, it was one of the leading Thicktorians. He was claiming that John Bourke was using a station wagon gearbox for the improved ratios.

All AUS spec 12 sedan and wagon gearboxes are the same, and equivalent age sedans and wagons have identical gear ratios as detailed in the original post. However as a number of comptitors seem to have been Renault Australia employees, they could have had access to the parts book that detailed more favourable ratios for small production versions in different countries like a 29 tooth and 32 tooth top gear. But to answer the question no Renault 12 transaxle was exclusively used in the wagon version. All types were used in both sedan and wagon models.

The only difference in overall ratios being that the wagon had 165 x 13 tyres originally fitted compared to the 155's on the sedan.

The bending of the rules may have been found in scrutineering sometime though, as it really did seem a controversial series where some cars were stipped to find if they did indeed conform with the rules.

Simon