R12 (1289 ) to Virage (1397)

Others may know more, but I thought it was a straight swap of liner/pistons. Not sure abut the crank stroke, but either way, the 1289 block is the same as the 1397. Don't think you can go much more than 1400 because you run out of liner wall at the base where it goes in the block.

That said, I would have thought finding a Virage spare engine to swap it straight in wouldn't be that hard.

Why the question? The 1289 is probably the better engine of the two. Has less torque, but revs higher, easier.

Hi,

the 1.4 block is different to the 1289 and the 1397 liners do not fit. The 1397 liners fit in to a tapered seat in the block and uses an o-ring seal rather than sitting flat with a paper seal. There are options to go beyond 1397, but you tend to get little increment for the dollars spent. You can bore the liners and put bigger pistons in, 77mm with standard head gasket; 78mm and above will require a special head gasket, readily available but exxy (although some will say you can stay with the standard gasket at 78mm and assemble with care!).

Other than this I agree with Schlitzaugen, the 1.4 has more torque but seems to run out of breath at the top end.

Regards,

George

I am not sure why Renault kept doing this trick with the different seats between engines using virtually the same block. They did it with the 807 (block) engines too but there is no reason liners can not be swapped from one block to the next because the fitting diameter is the same. If this is the same with 810 block based engines I don't see why the 1397 liners would not fit.

It can be done, but you need to bore out the 1289 block to accept
the 1.4 liners.
The 1.4 crank is heavier and tends to be less responsive if you are looking for
an *enjoyable" engine.
Sticking to the 1289 crank and rods also means you don't have to worry about
flywheel and clutch etc.
Can't remember if you have to modify rods to take a different diameter wrist pin.