R10 Wheels and 10S Dash

John's Renaults

Fellow Frogger
Hi everyone

I'm looking for some wider wheels for my R10, and if at all possible, a 10S dash. Ive tried R16 wheels on the back, and got a nasty little surprise when they sheared through both brake lines!! lol mallet

What are the best wheels I can put on the car,and does anyone know were I could get them?
( I currently have the standard 15 by 135 wheels, bike tyres lol!)

Do 10S dashes, have the same wiring set up to the normal 10's, or do you have to modify them?

Help me out if you can everyone! It would be much apreciated! cheers!

Wider wheels for the 10 have to be custom made, or you can get the 4.5x15" rims off of a 10S. I think Damien Gardner with the turbo 10 was selling some wider wheels, so you could probably go back through previous posts to find out if he still has them.

As for changing the wheels, what are your plans with the car? 145x15 XZX's are cheap at $90 odd each (when available) and cope with 90% of the driving requirements of a 10 too.

The 10S dash is basically Australian VDO gauges, tacho, speedo and fuel gauge. You will also need to obtain (or get fabricated) a 10S speedo cable (different thread on the speedo head) and matching 10S fuel tank sender unit. The tacho will also have to be wired in, the wires are not just in the normal 10 loom.

Simon

Simon

John's Renaults:
Hi everyone

I'm looking for some wider wheels for my R10, and if at all possible, a 10S dash. Ive tried R16 wheels on the back, and got a nasty little surprise when they sheared through both brake lines!! lol mallet

What are the best wheels I can put on the car,and does anyone know were I could get them?
( I currently have the standard 15 by 135 wheels, bike tyres lol!)

Do 10S dashes, have the same wiring set up to the normal 10's, or do you have to modify them?

Help me out if you can everyone! It would be much apreciated! cheers!

I have done a conversion to 10S dash before, and its a doddle. There are very few wires on the instruments so its just a matter of taking out the old instruments, working out what wire does what and hooking it all up. Run a wire from the negative terminal of the coil up to the front for the tachometer(I fed it through the parcel shelf with the main loom and tucked into the groove of the door surround trim - the one that trims the headling - and behind the dash with the main loom again).
Had the speedo cable modified for new speedo.
Fuel gauge worked fine on standard sensor, but I think the speedo calibration was out. Dont know if I had a dud speedo or if the drive at the diff is different.

Me again, as memeory serves me (it was a while ago) you also have to join the main battery supply leads - the fat ones that normally have two bolt down terminals on back of instrument housing - together.
Just sit down with the circut diagram and become familiar with what everything does. Pretty hard to get wrong (famous last words?!)

A friend of mine converted his dash a while back. The two teenage kids of another friend did it for him actually.

Very straightforward.

The speedo cable needed to be replaced with the one from the donor 10s and the tacho needed to be wired as described in other posts.

The speedo does now seem to be out but that could have other explanations such as the non standard tyre size on the car. Everything else is fine and it looks a treat. tongue

<small>[ 31 July 2002, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

Hi guys,
I've got a R10 with a datsun radio that I dont want where the dash should be. Thinking that I can either replace the hole thats left with an old glovebox lid (original gone) or just put a whole new dash.
Any thoughts? Does anyone have leftovers? Is a 10s dash 'better'?

Also if anyone can help me with these much obliged (suggest where to or if have spares).

Gearstick nob (without stupid spider or insect in).
Clips for metal trim on outside of doors.
Window felt and rubber scrapers (have got advice previously on converting HQ spares thankyou).
Side view mirrors.

Also thinking of trying to repair torn upholstery with upholstery vinyl. Anyone ever tried this?

Further - has anyone ever tried repairing the little triangular gussety bits behind the boot in front of windscreen when rusted? They are kind of a tricky spot.
Thanks a lot. Any R10 lovers in Sydney love to catch a a_drink sometime.
Pete

Pete,

Most of what you require I would probably have in my spares pile (including that whole R10 you didn't want to buy before!)except for the window rubbers.

The only difference between a 10S dash and normal ten is the instrument cluster (the rectangular speedo unit replaced with seperate VDO gauges and warning lights as Simon described earlier). The glovebox side is identical. Whilst I did have a few spare 10S dashes (mostly missing one or more gauges) I also converted a normal 10 dash to be similar to a 10S dash but with one or two extra gauges which was very easy - just by making a new front panel out of scrap steel or aluminium. The original frame does have to be hacked away in a couple of places to make way for the speedo and tacho but this is no big deal.

Email me seperately if you wish and we can make arrangements for you to obtain some of those parts if you wish.

Kevin.

Hi,

Interesting discussion on dash conversions.

Recently I have replaced my R10 dashboard with a new 'blank' cut to the same size as the woodgrain panel(New panel matt black). To this I have inserted the speedo and tacho from an R12(Older round dials). (Chopped of the bit with the guages.)

Speedo cable screws straight on. Speedo seems pretty accurate, as does tacho. Slight hammer and chisel modification to frame behind guages.

Need to add a fuel guage (VDO make one) and indicator lights for ignition, oil and blinkers. Very easy and cheap. Total cost about $50 maximum and a day of tinkering around.

Looks damn good!

Regards, Leigh

Well done. Sounds like you've done a nice bit of work! Did you originally have a tacho in the 10 or did you connect the whole thing? What do you mean by cut the bit off with gauges?
pete

Hi Pete,

Merci for spelling 'off' correctly. The R12 guages are in three round sections, all molded into the one housing. With a hacksaw I just chopped off the round guage section with the Temp, Fuel and Ign guages/light (Right hand one). Without doing this, the back of the guages will not fit into the space the original dash occupied (with a bit of manual adjustment). Discard the printed circuit and solder appropriate wires to existing dash lights

The front woodgrain replacement panel has two circular holes cut to allow the Tacho and Speedo circular faces to show through. Simply run a wire from the distributor to the correct tacho connection and voila!

Also I purchased little round warning lights of appropriate colours for the blinkers, ign, oil warning light. Used metal hole punches slightly smaller than the diameter of the lights and located them to my preference on the new facia panel and just connected the correct wires from the wiring harness to them.

Warning!! This conversion actually makes the car go faster, as well as looking good.

Match this with a steering wheel from an R18 and it will go even more faster.

Of no relationship whatsoever, by using a very small replacement oil filter, the oil pressure comes up a little faster. Good protection for exotic traffic light escapades.

Regards,

Leigh

Sacre Bleu! I must edit my text before I post. Gauge, gauge, gauge. 'guage' ain't quite it folks!
One of my two typing fingers must be faster than the other!

Leigh

Seems lots of ppl are modifing dashs in 10's. Today i installed a R10s vdo tachointo my 10. I chucked in it the driver side air vent. dunno how acurate it is but better than nothing i spose. Hopefully a fake 8G dash will be goin in it in the future. Is it true citroen GS had similar sized dials to those in an 8G (possibly even jaeger)??

cheers

Jensen

I'd probably keep my 10 dash in original if it was in OK condition but since its crumby - I'll probably try something. Sounds like a good effort Leigh. Is putting a tacho in difficult if it didnt previously have one or if havent done before?
Pete