R10 shop manual?

Gus

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi folks,

I've been looking for a workshop manual for my "new" Renault 10. I've found a few different books I could get, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend one.

I'm looking for a manual which is comprehensive (most importantly for rebuilding the engine), and which describes things in a way that you can follow without already knowing them :D (IMHO this can be the main problem with Haynes manuals, at least their Pug 505 manual.)

The publications I've found are:

- "Drake Publishers, NY: "Renault 10 1967-1972 Workshop Maintenance & Repair Manual"

- Intereurope: "Renault 10 R1190, R1192 Workshop Manual"

- Autopress: "Renault 8 10 1100 1962 71 Owners Workshop manual"

PS If anyone has a manual they'd like to get rid of, please get in touch!

I just found out there's also a Haynes manual, for the "Renault 9 and 10"... I didn't even know there _was _a Renault 9!! It's on eBay if anyone else wants it.

I also found two french manuals. (Shame I don't speak French as they're probably the best ones!!)

Hi Gus!

For my money, go with an Autobooks manual by Kenneth Ball. My R10 manual has an orange cover. Shouldn't be too hard to find one secondhand, they're a pretty common brand.

Good luck with your 10.

It was a typo on the manual (R8 and R10 essentially the same thing), but there is still a R9. Its basically an R4 on steroids.
I just always used a Haynes manual for my R10s.

Haakon:
It was a typo on the manual (R8 and R10 essentially the same thing), but there is still a R9. Its basically an R4 on steroids.
I just always used a Haynes manual for my R10s.
An R9 a 4 on steroids?? A 9 is a totally different car, three box transverse engine introduced in 1981 (and 1981 COTY). It was never sold in AUS but there are a few private imports.

As for workshop manuals for 10's, my first pick is the Haynes 8 & 10 book, at least it has lots of nice pics to follow and isn't as vague as the later 12 books by telling the repairer "take it to your nearest Renault agent" . Next pick would be the Kenneth Ball Autobook, but that relies heavily on having access to Renault special tools. InterEurope manuals seem very vague.

Simon

My mistake, I'm thinking of the R6, which is a mini R16 or a big R4 depending on your viewpoint.

I picked up a Haynes manual over eBay for like 2 quid from the UK. :). The shipping cost a bit more, but I still paid less than $20 for it.

I saw another one up in Mullimbimby while I was on holidays, but it didn't look as good (I forget which publisher now, but it wasn't Haynes and I can see what people mean about vague.)

The Haynes manual seems great. I've read some, but I haven't referred to it for much yet, cos I'm about to move house and hopefully will be able to monopolise a garage at the new place to entirely strip down, derust, repaint, rebuild...

So, in short, try eBay or <a href="http://www.abebooks.com/" target="_blank">http://www.abebooks.com/</a>.

Over the years, I've found the Haynes manual the best for my R8. Just personal, I guess. I've also kept Intereurope and other manuals as they all cover something better or differently - for example the Intereurope manuals that I have give a better description of some of the later design changes. This is for the R8 of course, but most cover both.

I'd suggest taking time to find a factory manual too. There are plenty around (English edition) for the R1130 (early type of R8) and these give excellent drawings and specs.

Finally, try and get a factory parts manual, which appear from time to time at shows and the like. They give absolutely fabulous drawings of everything, dismantled. They're works of art really. I've seen the factory manuals for $30-40 in recent years.

Good luck

JohnW