R10 Conversion Problems

John's Renaults

Fellow Frogger
Hi everyone!,
We have installed an 807 engine into an R10, have left the R18 radiator and fuel tank in standard positions but can not get enough clutch travel using the R16 bell housing.
We've tried altering pedal to cable hook up point and altering cable to clutch fork hook up points to obtain more travel, but the pedal pressure is HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!
Please offer suggestions, as I am going bald trying to work it out! I've still got a 74 TS and an 81 R18 wagon waiting for attention!

John

<small>[ 11 July 2002, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: John's Renaults ]</small>

John,
Often the pedal bush is well worn causing the pedal arm to scrape against the floor as it is going down. Also in the arc that the extended pedal fulcrum point has, it may well be scraping hard against the floor. Where did the clutch come from? If it is some modified one, go back to a standard one as a Sachs will cope OK with even a modded 16TS in a much lighter 10. A standard Sachs has 1150lbs clamp, a Verto (Valeo)has 850lbs.
Alan.

In addition to the above, there were about three different bellhousings and consequent clutches for 16's. It could be a case of incompatible parts causing problems.

John,
This may or may not help you. When my son fitted a modified 1.4 engine to his 10, with a machined flywheel, we had to have the thrust bearing modified. Put simply, a new bearing extension was made up (that revolves with the actual bearing), in order that there would be sufficient travel to compress the pressure plate. It was a simple job at a machine shop, and worked very well after that.

This would at least solve your travel problem, without having to lose mechanical leverage through relocation of the cable to fork attachment point. Thus, the clutch actuation pressure should remain reasonable.

Cheers,
Kim.

Thanks for your help guys.
Still haven't solved the problem afer trying a multitude of different cable hook up points, both on the pedal and on the clutch fork, I am beginning to think that the spring pressure on the pressure plate is excessive because the pedal pressure becomes extremly heavy as the clutch fork appears to approach the point of clutch release, even though it still won't release. :mad:
The 16 bellhousing is from a 74 model TS and the clutch kit is an ALT Late 16/18 assembly. I'm going to have to take it all out, make up a dummy engine and gearbox setup and try variuos cable setups in the convenience of my garage( instead of lying on my back in the cold under the car!)
One thought that has been suggested is to go to an R17 or R18 bell housing, the advantage being a more direct clutch fork orientation, in relation to the cable. Thats all I can think of at the moment. I appreciate all the suggestions offered, Keep em comin! PLEASE!!!!!!! mallet

On my 750 I am using a 17 bell housing in which I use the cable outer to move the clutch arm, being that the inner is fixed. You just need to leave a bit of extra length in outer in an arc to take up the movement of the clutch arm.
Alan.

On my 750 I am using a 17 bell housing in which I use the cable outer to move the clutch arm, being that the inner is fixed. You just need to leave a bit of extra length in outer in an arc to take up the movement of the clutch arm.
Alan.

Alan,
How did you connect the outer cable to the inner, or have I mis-understood your explanation?
What advantage did this give you?
Also, what brand of pressure plate did you use?

I think we have found a substantial difference both in spring pressure and travel to point of release between the ALT pressure plate and a VALEO. The VALEO needs much less travel to disengage!!!!!! HOORAY!! :)
Does this seem correct to anybody else?

John,
The inner is fixed to the block, and so when it is pulled the outertries to straighen out. the cable is run with the cable having a hump near the engine end. This hump straightens out when the pedal is depressed, moving the clutch lever towards the rear of the car.
My current clutch is a little over the top for the 750. It is a Fiat Croma Turbo 228mm pressure plate (sachs) with a Citroen CX25 GTI Turbo driven plate.The clutch covers the complete flywheel and has 1650lbs clamp.Jim Berry of Raceclutch (Italia spares)PH 07 3891 6114 in Brisbane is a good guy to talk to. I do not remember how much movement it takes to release, but it works on the 750 with an 8mm extension of the pedal pulling point.
Alan.

Alan,
Thanks for the information, I get your point. You sure have gone for a heavy preassure plate, thats for sure!!! As of today, I think we are on a winner with a VALEO late 16\18 pressure plate. It seems to have slightly less spring pressure and only about two thirds the disengagement travel of the ALT pressure plate.It also feels a lot smoother on actuation.
I hope its going to work as well as it did on the garage floor when it goes back in the car!!!
I'll keep you posted !!
:) -John