Question for 16TS owners

Damien Gardner

1000+ Posts
Can anyone tell me what the approx' speedo reading, would be at 5500 rev's in 4th gear. Assuming standard wheels, tyre pressures etc. I'm expecting somewhere between 150 & 170k/ph.
:cheers:

Hi Damien,

Sorry I don't have any exact figures at hand, but I seem to remember that at 110km/h (my usual cruising speed), the tacho said about 3700 RPM. this could be wrong, but I don't think it's far off. I hope that helps. I drove a manual R16TS for about 8 years. Wonderful car.

:renault: :renault: :renault: :cheers:

Damien Gardner said:
Can anyone tell me what the approx' speedo reading, would be at 5500 rev's in 4th gear. Assuming standard wheels, tyre pressures etc. I'm expecting somewhere between 150 & 170k/ph.

Damien,

My tacho has started sticking at 4,500 rpm so I can't go and check!

I have an old memory of 5750 rpm at 100 mph (i.e. 160 kph).

Cheers

JohnW

Thank you all for the info, John W, using those figures, if i can find a straight long enough to wind the R10 out on, should give top speed of 200k at 7200 although realistically i doubt i'd get it past 6600 in top gear, around 180 kph
:renault: spanner:

Damien Gardner said:
Thank you all for the info, John W, using those figures, if i can find a straight long enough to wind the R10 out on, should give top speed of 200k at 7200 although realistically i doubt i'd get it past 6600 in top gear, around 180 kph
:renault: spanner:

How many bags of cement do you have in the front for 200 kph? I ran the R8 with one bag for about 15 years. But then the R10 doesn't have the aerodynamics of an R8. Maybe with that spoiler, one bag would be enough?

I'd wear size 12 underwear too.

Seriously, Damien, take care at those speeds! Lovely our rear-engined Renaults are, but a tad flimsy too!

JohnW

Yes, do be careful. I had one of R10s very briefly "off the clock" on a long down hill :D stretch of road, must have been doing around 160 - 170 kph. It was VERY SCARY - I kept having these flashs of blowouts, and all that front end lift turing into the front wheels completly leaving the ground.
But the sound of that little motor screaming its lungs out in the back was quite good - it seemed to love it :dance:

John W & haakon, i agree with what your saying, though this R10 is not the first of it's genre` i've owned. In my '65 R8 i used a bag of cement, and had no trouble even when racing. However The RULES have changed heaps. What i'm presently building, is 20 mm threaded rod with attachment points to the chassis rail bumper mounts. I've been collecting used wheel weights for some years.
So far, i've cast 6 x 10kg doughnuts of lead. Varying amounts can be placed on either side at front of car, as needed and locked in place with a nut & washer.

I too have enjoyed the thrill of a Renault R8-10 at off the clock speeds, the Melbourneites here will know, Wheelers Hill on Ferntree Gully Rd Wheelers Hill, Down hill dropping some 100metres over 2k, now 2 lanes either way with T/light obstacles. Not so in '72, it was one lane each way, no stops until Stud Rd, 5k from top of hill.
Scene set. 9-30pm no traffic bar me.
Well by the bottom of the hill it was off the clock, and the needle appears in the next window, from memory i think it was the fuel gauge, when it came time to stop, it boiled the bloody brake fluid, AAAAAAHH the follies of youth. Not. Thank God the Stud Rd, lights were GREEN.

Damien Gardner said:
when it came time to stop, it boiled the bloody brake fluid, AAAAAAHH the follies of youth.

I did the same thing in my Old Man's R16TS a few weeks after I got my license. 166 km/h down the freeway/bypass through town, then took the exit ramp down onto the main street. Entered the exit ramp at over 160 km/h, with probably only a couple of hundred metres to stop the car, DOWNHILL. Needless to say, as I pressed progressively harder and harder on the brake pedal, the stopping effectiveness progressively evaporated to the point where I was literally standing on the pedal to bring the car to a halt towards the bottom of the ramp. As I did so, a gentle tail wind wafted the trail of smoke from my brakes over the roof of the car. What a sight. As I was rather worried about what I had done to the brakes, and how I would explain this to Dad, I stopped at a servo about 1km up the street and upon inspection noticed that the brakes were still crackling as they continued to cool down and there were circles of green/purple discolouration around the disks - the kind of discolouration that steel gets when its been heated to the point of glowing red hot.... Indead, the follies of youth....

:eek:

Make a note... here's how to work out revs @ speed...

mph per 1000rpm:

tyre diameter (in inches) x 2.975
diff ratio x gear ratio

To convert to kmh, multiply the result by 1.609

So, with a tyre diameter of 24" (well worn 195/70 x 14) on a 504 sedan (1:1 top gear, 3.89:1 diff) you get:

24 x 2.976

That becomes

The 504 then gives 18.355 mph per 1000 rpm on those tyres in top gear.

Last edited:
Im interested in this topic as Im having a bit of trouble with the Dauphine at high speed. With 13" wheels and limiting revs to 7,000 and a 4th gear ratio of 24km/1,000revs I get about 165kms top speed.
On a smooth curcuit at this speed no problems however on the Targa on closed roads usually very bumpy at 155 to 165 things get a bit exciting!! The car tends to wander around a bit and generally doesnt inspire a lot of confidence. I dont like the idea of weighting up the front as this will effect my acceleration so looking for any advice that might improve things.
When I have the wheel alignments done (usually just before the Targa) the best we can get castor is 10 degrees one side and 7 degrees the other. I suspect the front subframe is bent so I guess this doesnt help. Damien does that front wing help?
Any other advice would be great

Thanks

Ross :renault:

Ross,
The front spoiler works well, the only time, i've experienced front end wander, was just after fitting the new rear wing, the new profile was so effecient, that at 5000rpm 2nd geat the front lifted to the point of no control!! A tad scarey at a twisty hillclimb.
A good indicator of how effective the rear win is, was during trailering the R10 to Dave C's. The down force crushed the wing supports till it rested on the engine cover :roflmao: That wont happen again.

Haakon,
I've had it to 6200 in top gear, with the R10 g/box & 14" wheels at Winton, long before the corner, thinking come on there's gotta be more.
The car has always been rock solid on the track, the 6 point cage stiffens the chassis enormously, 2 1/2 deg Neg Camber on the front makes a huge difference to cornering. I don't have pic's but i'm told, it picks up the inside front wheel 6"+ in tight corners. With the classic Rear eng'd Renault throttle controlled over/under steer.

The handling capabilities of an R10 on the limit never ceased to amaze me - stupid amounts of fun to drive hard.
When I said I was a bit scared at 160 kph in the R10, it was only due to me thinking of the very limited amount of steel around me and all those trees whizzing by. The car itself was very composed on what was a fairly undulating and patchy stretch of bitumen. And that was on the standard 135 tyres too. The only nervousness exhibited was a small degree of front end lift, but still sat on the road very well.