QLD Grand Display

Reno17

Fellow Frogger
What a great day the Display was. Don't think you could have asked for better weather was an impressive turn out out by all.
I took some snaps, I'll have to get them scanned and put on here.

Ash

Wow, that was quick... Yeah it was a good day. I think ill feel a little burnt tomorrow though.

Is anyone planning on going to the dyno night on friday?

[This message has been edited by Phasis (edited 15 July 2001).]

Great turn out alright !!

My faves for the day were that wicked little Renault 5 Turbo2 , the 504 that had the worked 2 litre , 15 inch steel rims and was dumped on its guts, looked very tough !!

jr, that is one clean as a whistle 205 you have there, but whats weird is the fact its a series 1, and has a series 2 dash and seats.

That **massive** land barge of a Citroen with the Maserati V6 and the 6 headlights was a treat, as were the Pallas Wagons (always loved em) and the guy who pulled the front and rear guards and wheels off his DS to show the workings of a 57 Citroen, well done, very interesting.

Great day all up.

Chipper

P.S. Reno 17, sqw your beast, and Phasis, you have more of my drool on your 306 again now
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Chipper (edited 16 July 2001).]

Who had that 205 with the MI16 engine. I didnt get to meet him/her. That looks sweet, and i bet would go like the clappers. Love to go in it sometime.

Phasis,

Thats jr's machine. I was looking into doing the twin cam conversion for my 205....not any more !!!.....way to much work for me to tackle. Looks like lots of TLC has gone into that car, and when jr said it just fits, he wasnt joking (there is more space in "this" word than between the inlet runners and the radiator)....

Chip

Hi

Yea thought it was a great day.

Actually, I was impressed with the pugs this Year, there was a good turnout. Saw a few hot 205s ,206s and 306s. Was pretty impressed buy the blue 206cc. Liked the pug with the commodore 3.8 donk in it too, looked factory.

Also liked the blue 306 with the big wheels, and all the rest done to it.

That 504 was well done too. Quite tough.

Meets like that should happen more often I reckon.

Ashley

chipper, did not see u at the fcd, not many 205's really.3 in total excluding mine, that red one owned by mr wong was pristine, was it restored? why do u say my car is "weird", it is a series 2, the very first of them. the series 1 had the square 'rattly' dash, the series 2 had the new round dials console and of course the series 3 had power steer etc. have i been smoking the wrong stuff?? phasis, i came over to have a chat but u were gone, the lower look sets it off!! you need the quad h/lights...very tasty.

------------------

Yeah, i went about 1/2 after the awards...g/f duties. I was at your beast too, but you werent around. Wanted to see what mods you had done to the MI16 as its basically the same as mine.

BTW there is a dyno night for the PCQ on friday at G&A mech. Soine Street Sumner Park. The details I have ATM are $25 for a test...no tune:-( 7pm. Ring Chris Bengtson, the club sporting dir. His name is in the mag.

jr,

Yeah, i got there a tad late to find a good sparkin pot for my 205 , had to wash the car before i left and it cost me time
wink.gif

Umm, the only reason I thought it was "weird" is the fact you still have the series 1 tail lights and I was under the impression you had a series 1 and a 2, the 2 being unmodded. Maybe i have been smokin the wrong stuff
wink.gif
hahaha . Mind you, my brother has seen about 3 other 205's with the series one outside and the series 2 inside...maybe we get a mish mash of different bits when they change the series?? either way, it looks very trick mate.

Next year i will be there earlier, and take a packed lunch with me and stay for the day.

Chipper

Chipper,

The series 2 dash was introduced in 1988. The white blinkers didn't arrive until the early 1990's. The reflector type insert between the tailights, the 15 inch wheels and the rear disks were available in Europe from the time the 1.9 GTi was released in 1986. For some reason the 15 inch wheels, rear discs and reflector insert weren't made standard on Australian spec cars until the introduction of the white blinkers and power steering.

Basically the Australian 1.9GTi sold during the late 1980's was 1.6GTi spec, with a detuned 1.9GTi engine and gearbox.

Regards,
Dave

When I was in Europe in mid 1987 I saw quite a few 205 GTis with the reflector insert and 15 inch wheels. I thought they looked great, and could never understand why Australian 205s didn't get these until the early 1990s.

Dave

Dave,

Spanner in your works, mine is an 87 model 205 with the full length rear reflector between the tail lights and my brothers is an identical year and has the grey plastic rear trim !!

I assume its original as its in a sun damaged condition, along with some other exterior plaky bits
frown.gif

Just seems we get a mixture out here. I was also told/read somewhere that the red reflector denoted the 90kw engine , i dont know what to believe anymore
biggrin.gif

Was it 75kw until the series 2 or do the red reflector'd cars have 90kw?

Chip

Chipper,

I neglected to mention that the red reflector was an option, fitted to some early Australian spec cars but not many. I think you had to specify it when you bought the car (like mudflaps, etc), although I know one guy who bought a new 205 in 1988 (series 2 dash) and he had to specify the grey insert, because his car already had the reflector and he didn't like it.

As far as I know, Australia didn't receive the 90kW engine until the white blinkers and power steering was released here. In Europe however, the 1.9GTi always had atleast 90kW (I think they were actually 130hp, which is about 98kW), from the time it was released in 1986. I think the 15 inch wheels and red reflector insert were standard on all Euro 1.9GTi's from the beginning. Either that or they were a very popular option, because it seemed like every 1.9GTi, that I saw in Europe in July 1987, had them.

Dave