Pug 405 stuff

Jez 405

Fellow Frogger
New here - a couple of niggles with my auto 1992 405 S, owned since January with currently 117'500kms on the clock.

The hubcaps on the alloy wheels have a tendancy to spin themselves off whenever I take long interstate trips. Any suggestions on how to prevent that? I lost 2 before taking them all off. Blue tack doesn't work.
Otherwise, anyone got a set of 5 Mi16 alloys (14inch) to sell in Melbourne?

Also, the engine tends to run rattly when it starts cold, usually for about 10 minutes. Oil level is fine. Suspension also tends to squeak noisily on bumps, again only for the first 10 minutes after startup.

Is it normal for the temperature guage to read 90degrees in city-type traffic, with A/C off?

Thanks alot,
Jez

To keep the inner hubs on try slightly over bending the holding clips(X4), when you put them back on your car, ease them on with a flat screwdriver so as not to loose that tension.
I also had this problem & had to purchase a replacement not long after we purchase our 405, then my mechanic showed me this tip.
Haven't lost one since
wink.gif

Thanks, Gibgib. I'll give it a go once I find a pair of replacement hubcaps. There must be Pug emblemed hubcaps all across the rural highways of Victoria, because just about every alloy wheeled 405 I see doesn't have them on!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gibgib:
To keep the inner hubs on try slightly over bending the holding clips(X4), when you put them back on your car, ease them on with a flat screwdriver so as not to loose that tension.
I also had this problem & had to purchase a replacement not long after we purchase our 405, then my mechanic showed me this tip.
Haven't lost one since
wink.gif

No Probs, hope it works.

We are probably the only ones with standard 405 wheels in here which could explain why I'm the only one with a suggestion
biggrin.gif

Your car appears in the Gallery now.
James has his car within too.

gibgib

I'm new here too - some comments

[[QUOTE Originally posted by Jez 405:
New here - a couple of niggles with my auto 1992 405 S, owned since January with currently 117'500kms on the clock.

The hubcaps on the alloy wheels have a tendency to spin themselves off whenever I take long interstate trips. Any suggestions on how to prevent that? I lost 2 before taking them all off. Blue tack doesn't work.
Otherwise, anyone got a set of 5 Mi16 alloys (14inch) to sell in Melbourne?]]

I have a 405STI (last of series runout) which I purchased new in 95. It has the same wheels and this is a problem with running over bumps. Yes you can modify the clips a little but take care because if you bend the holding clips too much, the hubcap wont sit properly against the wheel. They are a real pain - however new ones only cost about $48.00 + GST.

[[Also, the engine tends to run rattly when it starts cold, usually for about 10 minutes. Oil level is fine. Suspension also tends to squeak noisily on bumps, again only for the first 10 minutes after startup.]]

This sounds like it could be the catalytic converter in the engine pipe - right behind the engine in the centre of the car (underneath). I have just had the same problem on my STI - a replacement unit (here in Sydney) cost me $500 which is far less than the $2,000 - $2,500 for a genuine Pug catalytic converter.

[[Is it normal for the temperature guage to read 90degrees in city-type traffic, with A/C off?]]

No - sounds like the cooling system needs attention. I find that the only time the temp reaches 90 will be on a very hot day with the A/C running - otherwise closer to 70 seems to be about it.

Denis

car should run at 70 degrees?
are you sure?
i think 88-92 is the optimum temp?
mine runs in that range, fans come on at about 92 degrees, i only ever see 70 degrees when i first start the car, mid 70's on the freeway on a cold day.

Andreas

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andreas:
car should run at 70 degrees?
are you sure?
i think 88-92 is the optimum temp?
mine runs in that range, fans come on at about 92 degrees, i only ever see 70 degrees when i first start the car, mid 70's on the freeway on a cold day.

Andreas

Your'e correct - I just looked up my Haynes manual and that is the range for the 405. However, my car today - live update - outside air temp 22 - 23 C, A/c running in traffic in Sydney - temp gauge at 72 -73C (as near as can be read). This is how the car has always run since new - higher temps never appear except on those hot 35C summer days + A/C operating.

So unless Peugot installed a thermostat with different set point - or unless gauge is just inaccurate .. anyway engine has always been fine re operating temp and performance.

Denis

Thanks for the reply, Denis. I'll have the cat and cooling system looked at next time I service it (around 1000k's time). Meanwhile, due to cold weather, the temp sits around 75-80, so not much cause for panic at the moment hopefully! Also, the fuel guage is off, but I guess that's normal, in aircraft anyway. When it says there's 35l in the tank, I can only squeeze in 20. No big deal.
I've decided to leave the hubcaps off until I fit some decent tyres (the crappy dealer fitted ones are going to go soon!).

I bought a replacement hubcap for $42 in Melbourne. Drive down here, lose 4 hubcaps and save $24
smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Denis:
Your'e correct - I just looked up my Haynes manual and that is the range for the 405. However, my car today - live update - outside air temp 22 - 23 C, A/c running in traffic in Sydney - temp gauge at 72 -73C (as near as can be read). This is how the car has always run since new - higher temps never appear except on those hot 35C summer days + A/C operating.

So unless Peugot installed a thermostat with different set point - or unless gauge is just inaccurate .. anyway engine has always been fine re operating temp and performance.

Denis