Pug 405 605 Steering Rack Bellows

sparkey

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Any suggestions where I may be able to obtain 405 605 rubber steering rack bellows locally (the elastomer version is an absolute shocker - prone to cracking)?

They are required for Citroen Xantia but share the same part as above

Have already tried Regans (Melb), European Auto Imports (EAI), Pug mob in Newcastle, SWEA

Currently trawling fleabay

Allegedly Borg & Beck do a rubber kit BSG3164 but EAI said nil availability til Sept '23 (Ukraine war) and Oz delivery early '24!!!

Which boot(s) are you after? There are three pieces required for a rack. The LH comes as 2 pieces and the small end covering the inner tierod often doesn't survive the process of removal. The RH boot needs the urethane rack buffer to be in place to retain it correctly. What model Xantia?

you can call your local peugeot place and try their parts dept
they wont have it but their system should list if any other dealers in aust still have the part

otherwise, its likely you'll have to get one from europe/uk

Lewin partridge bris 0733534448 might b a chance

I have only ever fitted one on a 405 .i think it's the left one that has to go over a spigot heat it up wit boiling water lots of silicone spray ,stick a big table spoon up the centre of it and lay the spoon over that spigot ,I was amazed when it went on ,you may have to squash the spoon a little in the vice to reduce its width

Seems a lot of effort, when you can easily remove the rack from the pinion and slide the boot on.

RH side is easy, but be careful of the rack buffer rubber as it has a groove to locate the factory boot, will be fragile now and is NLA. LH on XM/Xantia I've found easy enough if you remove the LH track rod, remove the LH rack mounting bolt, slacken the RH bolt, free the ram so it can be slipped off the post and slip the new boot on over the post and around the corner. Not too hard like that.

Which boot(s) are you after? There are three pieces required for a rack. The LH comes as 2 pieces and the small end covering the inner tierod often doesn't survive the process of removal. The RH boot needs the urethane rack buffer to be in place to retain it correctly. What model Xantia?
For a Series II Xantia, here is the fleabay alleged RUBBER Borg & Beck version. Every other provider do it in ELASTOMER

I have a Sasic RH boot that is rubber, not plastic, and marked for XM/605 part# 0664294. This is apparently equivalent to 406629, which is for earlier XM with the thinner diameter tie-rods and NLA from Citroen. The tie-rod thickness was increased in later models. Although not marked as suiting Xantia, it might, because the later part 406642 is shown as common to both XM and Xantia II and the only difference would be the size of the tie-rod hole. You can slip a piece of hose in between a too thin tie-rod and a too-large small end of the boot. Try your local dealer if you want the genuine 406642, but that's not a rubber boot. It will probably be about $80 over the counter.

For the LH inner boot, you are really better off using the factory 'plastic' type as it clips onto the rack at both ends. EAI sold me a rubber one a few years ago and it was a pain to fit vs the original factory 'plastic' part. I have a Sasic 664304 and it's equivalent to Cit 406630.

For Xantia: 406630 LH inner. RH is either 406637 or 406642. The LH outer #14 is 406621, for the smaller diameter tierod. These are always rubber, not plastic.

Are you planning to replace all three?

1681906484996.png

For XM II you have these components:

1681907057969.png

I have a Sasic RH boot that is rubber, not plastic, and marked for XM/605 part# 0664294......
Appreciate your efforts David S. Apologies Pug people for this Cit stuff on your site but was getting to some dead ends

Using my VIN, have sourced a SASIC kit (Elastomer - might last 20 years) from Euro Auto Imports, Box Hill - $39. This works out bucket loads cheaper than fleabay (and I prefer to support the local man/woman)

Every Xantia I have looked at in recent times have had these steering rack boots torn to shreds (even low km 80k example)

The Xants is a beautiful car and I'm saving it from the crushers (also I'm interchanging its spheres with my GS's on a needs basis) - How good is that; 1973 GS parts interchangeable with a 2000 Xantia?

EAI only mentioned 2 boots - will be alert to this

The GS spheres won't be correct for the Xantia if it has Hydractive suspension with the 10mm tubing. They will screw on and work OK, but will give you an overly floaty ride because Hydractive uses a 3rd sphere at each end and the damper in a Hydractive sphere has a smaller hole in it for that reason. Just be aware of the difference.