Problem R25

Jodi

Tadpole
We have a beast of a 25 giving us a bit of grief.

The main problem is coming from the "cold start solenoid". There is a rubber diaphram inside that is brittle and cracked. As hard as we have tried no-one seems to have any idea if this part is available.

I would love to hear from anyone who may have had this problem "apparently all 25's" suffered this fate & could suggest a solution.

Which model 25 is it?

There were two versions, both with different injection systems. The pre 1986 B29E which runs on leaded petrol, and the later B29B with Renix injection (Injection Renault being cast into the air intake) which only takes unleaded fuel. The model designations being on the oval plate under the bonnet, or written in the vehicle guarantee card.

Simon said:
Which model 25 is it?

There were two versions, both with different injection systems. The pre 1986 B29E which runs on leaded petrol, and the later B29B with Renix injection (Injection Renault being cast into the air intake) which only takes unleaded fuel. The model designations being on the oval plate under the bonnet, or written in the vehicle guarantee card.

Ours is a B29E (leaded) 1/86

If you need decent Renault spare parts advice and service, have your oval plate numbers ready (including engine type and serial number for this one I think), grab your Visa card and contact Marchants in the UK (http://www.marchants.co.uk)

I have dealt with them before (specifically for R25 V6i parts) and found them very helpful. They are fine with international shipping - I have received about 3 or 4 deliveries without incident. They'll tell you if the part is truly unobtainable or not, and may even be able to offer advice if there is difficulty sourcing the part.

Let us know how you go!

Last edited:
Europa said:
If you need decent Renault spare parts advice and service, have your oval plate numbers ready (including engine type and serial number for this one I think), grab your Visa card and contact Marchants in the UK (http://www.marchants.co.uk)

I have dealt with them before (specifically for R25 V6i parts) and found them very helpful. They are fine with international shipping - I have received about 3 or 4 deliveries without incident. They'll tell you if the part is truly unobtainable or not, and may even be able to offer advice if there is difficulty sourcing the part.

Let us know how you go!

Thanks for that!! This car has been giving us grief for about 3 1/2 years. There seems to be one problem after another. We also own an R19 which is not much easier!!

OK, My leaded GTx had the same problem.
The only way to fix it is to actually remove the diaphram completely. The engine will be fine, but just idle a little slower and may need a start or two in winter, but otherwise no dramas.
I actually mended my diaphram, and it worked a treat? I use a this piece of bike tubing and used contact adhesive to stick on the torn part of the diaphram.

As far as I know you can not buy this component (otherwise I would have).

Hope this helps.

BTW - My R25 has 350000kms on the clock is is trouble free for a car this age and mileage.