Power Steering - 405 16v

Pug_405_Mi16

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
All,

I have always had some slight problems with the power steering in my 405 16v *series 1*.
When I got the car the belt was very very loose, and used to squeal when on full lock, it was determined that the tensioners were already on as far as they could go.....
So first thing was we tried a thicker belt...as the belt on it was the shortest Peugeot offer....this made no difference !
After searching my mechanic found a slightly shorter belt, that peugeot had made to 'fix' this problem, as I was told it's common on early 16v's.
This fixed the steering for a while...even with this belt the tensioners were still full on...but now the belt has got bad again ! so bad that when the car is cold and you rev it the belt slips ! when driving it's OK just squeals on full lock !

I think the length is 40 but dont quuote me !

Any ideas ??

Ben

I had the same problem until I purchased the right belt from Peugeot, then tensioned it as per the manual.

slightly off topic but has anyone had any trouble with their 306 power steering cylinders (rams if your a cocky) leaking ?
i have had a leak for a little while now and has gradually become a little worse so i climbed under the car to find that it is the cylinder leaking and not what i was hoping (a loose fitting)
does anyone know if you can get seal kits for them or do you have to buy a new cylinder

Yeah, mine has a small leak, nothing major though. Will probably get it fixed soon.