Povo Fuego

renaulturbo

Tadpole
The damaged Fuego i bought for $150 is a bit of an oddity; its an 85 model labelled with 'TX' badges instead of GTX (although has GTX on chassis plate) has distributor under induction manifold but has no power steering :confused: , no electric windows, central locking, aircon, fog lights...!!!

Whats the deal with this povo-Fuego?

Then its a TX.. a rarity in Oz. Not sure if it should have GTX plates though.. I saw a TX once, almost bought it as it had the 2.2l dumped into it and EFI. Went a bit better but not worth all that hassle.

The TX was sold here as a base model to the GTX, not many sold as there wasn't much price difference and the GTX was a bargin compared to it. The TX came in about 85 so it had the late motor with dissy under the carby but no power steering or air cond (although all I've seen have been fitted with aftermarket A/C)They also had no electric windows or central locking. We've got one that comes into work and we hope it never needs a replacement window regulator. I don't even think Renault Australia believes they were sold here, thats how unknown they are.

David.

Seem to remember a GTS for sale in WA a while back

Haakon:
Seem to remember a GTS for sale in WA a while back
GTS's are private imports, there was an auto one here in Adelaide too at one stage. I've seens contemporary AUS ads for late Fuego's promoting the TX in a price panel, but never actually seen one in the metal. I like these AUS oddities, the TX Fuego in the same realm as 25 Versailles (Series II 25 with 4 cylinder motor) I think danielsydney mentioned he has actually seen one of those though, and the 12L's and 12LE's of the 70's.

David wrote:
"The TX came in about 85 so it had the late motor with dissy under the carby but no power steering..."

Hi David,

I didn't realise there were two variants of the Fuego 2 litre that came to Oz?

I have an 85 Fuego (no pwr steer), and the dissy is located at the rear of the cylinder block, and not under the carby.

Are the differences mainly aesthetic, or did one of the variants have slightly more grunt than the other?

thanks,
Damien

I thought the dizzy was put under the manifold only on cars with AC AND power steering. Those with only power steering or AC had the dizzy at the back of the head and the steering pump or AC compressor where our AC compressors are. I guess later on Renault simply stopped making two versions and put all varients dizzys under the manifold for ease of production.

Haakon:
I thought the dizzy was put under the manifold only on cars with AC AND power steering. Those with only power steering or AC had the dizzy at the back of the head and the steering pump or AC compressor where our AC compressors are. I guess later on Renault simply stopped making two versions and put all varients dizzys under the manifold for ease of production.
That's pretty bizarre really considering they took the opposite tack on what is virtually the same motor on the 20TS...power steering and air con hanging off the lower front quarters of the engine.... dance

BogMaster:
Haakon:
That's pretty bizarre really considering they took the opposite tack on what is virtually the same motor on the 20TS...power steering and air con hanging off the lower front quarters of the engine.... dance
and also on R21 & R25. But all these cars have a whole lot more room to work in the engine bay, and they dont use that dicky front engine brace/bush which takes up any room that could be used for the steering pump.