Pollen replacement C5

Leanmor

Fellow Frogger
Morning people

Quick question about replacing the pollen filter, is it something that can be easily replced or should it be left to the mechanic?

If it is indeed easy to do where is the best place to obtain replacement etc.

details 2008 exclusive C5 X7

Cheers

Hi Leanmor, You can do what I did contact Citroen Customer Care 1800 898 058 (Sime Darby Motor Group) Have your Vin number ready ask for tech department and ask where the pollen filter is satiated in your car and they will give you the info required, in my C5 hdi 2010 build it is in the passenger side of the car right up against the firewall, I had all different places from some, under the dash, in the glove box, in the engine bay. web www.sdmg. com.au. as for a replacing it is an easy job and no need for a mechanic to change it.

Hi Froggers,

That is good information. I have a replacement pollen filter that came in my Fram filter kit from the UK but have not fitted it yet - one day soon I suppose. I have also had trouble with leaves getting through the grill near the wiper blades and down into the fan blades (I think). They make the fan really noisy until you wear through them. From the spare parts diagrams, it looks like you can twist out the fan motor and blades from the housing. Has anyone out there tried this?

Also do you know if the Sime Darby customer help line still works if you vehicle is out of warranty?

Cheers,

Ken W

Hi Froggers,

That is good information. I have a replacement pollen filter that came in my Fram filter kit from the UK but have not fitted it yet - one day soon I suppose. I have also had trouble with leaves getting through the grill near the wiper blades and down into the fan blades (I think). They make the fan really noisy until you wear through them. From the spare parts diagrams, it looks like you can twist out the fan motor and blades from the housing. Has anyone out there tried this?

Also do you know if the Sime Darby customer help line still works if you vehicle is out of warranty?

Cheers,

Ken W

Ken,

There is no reason that Stewart Newson will not assist irrespective of the age of your Citroen.

He has been helping me with a 40 year old Citroen!

As for for your Fram filter, just today I pulled out of the cupboard a Fram Air Filter for a Fiat 1500 that goes back 50 years! (Made in Australia by JB Morgan would you believe) It was interesting to read advice / instruction on the pack - "EVERY 2500 MILES, REMOVE AND TAP LIGHTLY TO REMOVE BUILT UP OF DUST / DIRT OUT.

Pretty sure you could do likewise with your Pollen filter. I will be doing so with my C5 pollen filter in due course.

As for geting to the fan motor, sorry, I have had no need to do so as I constantly clean out the grill of leaves. I would nevertheless be interested in your findings for future reference just in case.

Regards,

JAJEA

Thanks to all those who responded.

I did ring & asked for the location of the filter in my car with the response its in the heater core area, great any additional information would be greatly appreciated to guide me in the correct procedure to get to the heater core area.

Thanks in advance.

I've had no interest in looking for it until now.

Nevertheless, I'll be watching this Thread with interest, it is not under the bonnet. I would have it as guess without going outside that it is under the glovebox or in the centre console.

I hope that somebody that knows responds.

JAJEA

Here is the left hand drive version - passenger's footwell and it's higher than the bottom of the glove box.

PS The ever-helpful Eastern Europeans have a photo (LH drive again) at http://clubcitroen.bg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7110&start=105

Filtre polloen C5 X7 DP - left hand drive.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got around to replacing the Pollen Filter

Hi new C5ers,

So today I decided to replace the filter because the airflow through our aircon seems to have been getting less and less. I checked this thread and then went to tackle the job. First step is to remove the panel at the bottom of the dash over the passenger footwell. On inspection there were two rotating catches on the front edge so I rotated them 90 degrees and they came loose. Then there is a snick click latch over against the transmission tunnel. Move that to one side and the whole front edge is loose. It then pulls towards you and sideways to slip right out of place. You will need to disconnect the wiring from the footwell lamp to remove it completely.

I could now see the edge cover for the pollen filter. I grabbed the finger clips at the bottom to release the cover and after a bit of jiggling, it came off revealing the edge of the filter with quite a few leaves around the bottom of it. So out with the vacuum cleaner. I then managed to hook and pull the existing filter out although I had to bend it quite a lot to get it down into the footwell - very filthy. More vacuuming with piece of tube attached to vacuum cleaner was required to get all the leaves out from inside the filter cavity.

Then I opened the box of my replacement filter and found some instructions!!! - photograph attached. It does cover the peugeot 407 as well as the C5 but again for a LHD car. Now how to get the new filter in without destroying it. The back of the glove box is right in the way. I decided to try to get the glovebox forward so I could get some of the filter up behind it and lined it up better with the slot. So out with the two screws inside the deep part of the box, the two screws inside fuse box area, three screws vertical along the top edge and three screws just under the door lip and the door hinge pins. I could now pull the the glovebox forward releasing the snap connectors at both ends enough to make some room behind for the filter. I did not work out how to release the door slow open damper system which stopped me from fully withdrawing the glovebox - maybe next time. The other issue here is the cold air pipe joining the aircon to the top of the glovebox. Mine had been disturbed by previous maintenance and was floating above the footwell panel. I have not worked out how to get it back in place yet - another job for next time. (Maybe I could feed it up through the hole in the top of the glovebox if I could see where to locate the top of the pipe onto the aircon fitting.)

Now the glovebox was out of the way, there was still not enough room due to some connector bracket but with some bending and shoving, the new filter did go in.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly as they say. It will be good to find out how others go with this 'simple' job. There were signs that my glovebox had been out before, perhaps that was to replace the door when its latch mechanism failed under warranty.

Cheers,

Ken W

Attachments

• Pollen Filter Instructions.jpg
    Pollen Filter Instructions.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 17,692
Last edited:
Folks,

Good news. Changing the pollen filter has revolutionised the aircon in my C5. Now gets much colder on much lower fan setting than it did before. No longer do we have to run it on LO LO to get just some cooling at 3/4 of full fan speeds - it would now freeze us on those settings.

So if the aircon on your C5X7 is losing effectiveness, the obvious answer is to change the pollen filter.

Cheers,

Ken W

Last edited:
Thanks Ken,

I'll tackle mine a bit later and your experience will help.

As we have / are experiencing no such problems with our air con (once I fixed the air con module which was replaced by the Citroen Dealer at great cost but did not work - everytime we took it back it apparently worked OK so, we were told the problem is "us"; we don't know how to use an Automatic Climate Control!?. I'll be "posting" my findings of what was wrong with the genuine Valeo unit replaced by the Dealer in due course) because all filters were replaced by the Dealer with each timely service - I hope that I don't find them so dirty.

JAJEA

I changed mine a few weeks back. 2010 c5, still had the original pollen filter.I didn't remove the glove box, just the trim panel under it.

Via the aussiefrogs App

My replacement filter was more flexible than the original. I concertina folded it in one corner to insert it. Then shook it about until it expanded in the housing.

I found that it took me longer to get the trim panel back on than to put the new filter in. I just couldn't get the bit that clips into the plastic footwell to line up properly.

It would be a much quicker on a left hand drive car.

Via the aussiefrogs App