Please explain this tool:

BIGRR

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Item 10,

The man in the museum suggested that one end was imperial and the other metric!

Attachments

• IMG_1313 shifter.jpg
    IMG_1313 shifter.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 132
Or for Whitworth and Metric.

These things are old, of US manufacture (eg Crescent). There is usually a difference between the two ends, like offset, or jaw finish, or thickness.

Wow, that would really confuse the apprentice.

Do they also have a can of striped paint and a jar of sparks?

Cheers.

It was obviously a special tool designed to tighten LH and RH threaded nuts of different sizes simultaneously.....

Are the ends of it at different angles, to allow you to get onto fasteners that have restrictive access ?

Angles? No. If you turn it over, the top it becomes the bottom, and vice versa. You have to keep the adjustable jaw compressed or it will slip.

THE SPANNER FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS EVERYTHING, PERHAPS on the negative side without a loop on one end it cant be hung on a shadow board ,why you no longer see them, as this design flaw was picked up by the discerning buyer

You're all numpties.

That is obviously a very early design of a wheel nut locking device. Didn't sell because it was fixed reach and let's be serious, who had their wheel nuts six inches apart by then?! That was so steam age.

Reactions: COL
It actually has "6 - 8 in" marked on the handle - how that works with an adjustable wrench I can't figure, unless one head is bigger that the other, maybe disguised by the perspective of the photo.
The longer I look at it the more confused I get - is one thumbwheel the opposite to the other, ie, LH/RH?
I can't stand the old Bahco I used to have, with it's thumbwheel opening the jaws when most adjustables would be closing them!

You can weld the tool and then call it whatever you choose, the rest of us might call you an idiot, but heck comes with the territory these days.;)