Peugeot 505 perfomance enhance

ozzster314

Fellow Frogger
Hey guys.

Ive had my peugeot 505 STI for three years now and i love it. Its tough and reliable, but not as quick as id like. I was wonderin if anyone knows of any good sites for engine modifications to the ZDJL Petrol 2.2 litre engine.

I dont know if theres any way of mounting a turbo, im pretty sure the Renault 25 did and used the ZDJL for a few years.

Thanks for any help you guys have to give

Chris

When Peugeot decided to fit a turbo to the 505, it went for a stronger engine. The place to look for good info on 505 engines is the website of our very own Dave McBean. <a href="http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/fiveohsindex.html" target="_blank">Five Ohs Index</a>
It is a top site.

Depending on how much power you want, the answer is "yes... maybe"

If you have electronic fuel injection rather than the older mechanical injection (wires rather than hoses) then you can fit an aftermarket computer. People have had pretty good results with this, and it's something I always meant to try myself (now selling my car.) After you've got the computer, you remove the airflow restriction of the 'flap' type sensor (assuming you change to a pressure-type sensor.)

You could also try higher-compression pistons.

Otherwise, just make sure the injection system the car has (no matter which) is in good shape.

Yeah my pug is an 87 fitted with the Electronic fuel injection so ill have to look around for an aftermarked comp system thatll work.. Unfortunately it is hard to find anyone knowledgable of the peugeot and Bosch L-Jetronic system here in the states. Thanks for the tips.

You could always take the F&F approach to performance, add 10 kilo's of stickers, more plastic than Pam Anderson and Nos it. Bingo instant 10 second car. roll_lau roll_lau

cheers!

wink Well we can't deny that plastic makes a car go faster.

The Peugeot's L-Jet system isn't too different from most contemporary EFI systems (at least Euro and Japanese, for US stuff you're on your own!)

My advice would be that unless you're willing to DIY (read up on EFI systems and then hack into your wiring loom a little), it won't be worth your while financially.

hmmm the stickers sound tempting but a mod to the L jet system wouldnt be too hard.. I was thinkin of an old BMW 6 or 7 series, there AFM are larger than the peugeots and would alow greater air flow. I already have the fuel mix gauge so i can just adjust to the correct settings after install and then a K&N filter will mount easily. Just a thought on this

Thanks

Mmm.

Actually, most of these types of air sensors (flap type, Mass Air Flow) are pretty accepting of engine mods anyhow. I actually saw a picture in hot4s/something of an Alfa which had been turbo-ed and had the turbo plumbed straight into the original air flow sensor (I imagine, in this case, there were mods involved!) So for simple stuff like a K&N, or even for slightly bigger things like cam/comp, you're probably safe with the stock EFI.

The advantage with moving to a Mass Air Pressure sensor (ie a sensor which measures manifold pressure to determine airflow, instead of using the flap) is that I'm told the flap is the main airflow restriction in these cars. Not sure how much of a restriction it actually is (something for the homemade manometer I guess!)