Peugeot 504 clutch and brake master cylinder replacement and bleed

Nz504

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hello I’m about to acquire a 504 that hasn’t run in 30 years. I am trying to get it going again. Clutch and brake pedal are stuck firm. What is the procedure to replace brake master and clutch and slave cylinders. Can these be done via the engine bay and how is the bleed done? I’ve read it’s not as easy as in normal cars! Also is the Haynes manual the best one for these cars? Thanks in advance

you will need to buy new cylinders. The easiest to bleed the clutch cyl is to bleed the brakes first then back bleed the slave cyl by connecting a tube from the lh wheel cylinder and ,open the bleed nipples and pump the brakes to fill the slave cyl then close the nipples

Very difficult to bleed the clutch, keep pumping until you get the beginnings of a pedal, from there it will bleed itself fairly quickly.

Thanks. Can the slave and the clutch master cylinder be easily accessed from engine bay?

you will need to buy new cylinders. The easiest to bleed the clutch cyl is to bleed the brakes first then back bleed the slave cyl by connecting a tube from the lh wheel cylinder and ,open the bleed nipples and pump the brakes to fill the slave cyl then close the nipples
Ok thanks a lot will try that

Is there a service to sleeve it in stainless steel in the area? They bore it out and insert a circular liner.

The proper way to bleed the clutch slave is to rotate the slave cylinder 180 degrees so that the bleed nipple is on the top. Bleed it in the normal way then rotate it back to where you started. I think this is the way Mr Peugeot meant it to be done. From memory there is a small lock plate that stops the cylinder rotating.

I have been able to get clutch master cylinder for my 404 recently from EAI in melbourne ,were are you located ?

I have been able to get clutch master cylinder for my 404 recently from EAI in melbourne ,were are you located ?
Good to hear, I need one for a car that's been sitting for 20 years. Have bought the 504 ones recently, early and late cars are different.