Peugeot 504 brake rotor options

Pug72

Fellow Frogger
I am about to overhaul my brake calipers and just looking at options for rotors.

My current rotors are still the originals, however they are getting thin and have surface rust on all areas that don't come in contact with the brake pad.

Should I go back to Peugeot and ask for a replacement under warranty...or in an effort to look for some better braking performance, get something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-S...eugeot&hash=item2cec790455:g:Y9IAAOSwKtVeazgy

These look the goods and should help to give a marginal increase in performance/pedal feel (I will be installing braided hoses too), but has anyone got any bad feedback from installing these?

I am well aware that modern discs will not last as long as the originals.

Cheers

Are your discs below the minimum thickness? if not I would just get them machined and re-install with new pads.

This is all I have done with my Renault R12 a car from the same era.

I am about to overhaul my brake calipers and just looking at options for rotors.

My current rotors are still the originals, however they are getting thin and have surface rust on all areas that don't come in contact with the brake pad.

Should I go back to Peugeot and ask for a replacement under warranty...or in an effort to look for some better braking performance, get something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-Slotted-Dimpled-Disc-Brake-Rotors-for-Peugeot-504-505-604-1971-1994/192945914965?fits=Model:504|Make:peugeot&hash=item2cec790455:g:Y9IAAOSwKtVeazgy

These look the goods and should help to give a marginal increase in performance/pedal feel (I will be installing braided hoses too), but has anyone got any bad feedback from installing these?

I am well aware that modern discs will not last as long as the originals.

Cheers
These are ventilated, you would need to get 604 calipers. 504 Coupe V6, 604 and 505 V6 would be the models that use them.

Like COL says + new brake hoses if they have not been recently replaced.

Also I think one of the 80,s Volvos 2 pot calipers can be adapted.

Reactions: COL
Why ventilated discs, the cars had such superior handling did not need to slow for corners at all?

The 604, the505 turbo, and the 504 V6 coupe had ventilated brakes. The reality is that you don't need them for everyday driving, but you certainly do for competition use. With non ventilated discs you notice the fade very quickly if you left foot brake, especially on downhill stages.

try EAI you may be surprised , they had some 404 stuff i required recently ,

The photo of the discs in my link are just for show, the actual discs are 11.9mm thick, so no way they will be vented.

I just liked the finish and being cross drilled/grooved will give a little better bite.

Pad wear will increase, but I can live with that.

The photo of the discs in my link are just for show, the actual discs are 11.9mm thick, so no way they will be vented.

I just liked the finish and being cross drilled/grooved will give a little better bite.

Pad wear will increase, but I can live with that.
You are correct that the advertised discs for the 504 are solid. If you read the Ebay add in the "Item specifics" box, the seller actually says that the discs are solid with a thickness of 12.9mm.

Cheers

I have made the decision to keep the existing rotors. They are still well above minimum thickness and all I need to so removed the surface rust from the outside edge then paint it and they will be fine.

I'm slowly gathering the other bits needed for the caliper rebuild. Sourced most of it locally, but just need another set of 54mm Girling pistons which I have just ordered from Der Franzose. I have new pads to go it too.

I had stainless braided hoses made for the front. I've sourced a good set of second hand rear pistons with undamaged splines so I can have a working hand brake again.

Hoping to start rebuilding calipers this weekend

Attachments

• 504 brake parts.jpg
    504 brake parts.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 168
I have made the decision to keep the existing rotors. They are still well above minimum thickness and all I need to so removed the surface rust from the outside edge then paint it and they will be fine.

I'm slowly gathering the other bits needed for the caliper rebuild. Sourced most of it locally, but just need another set of 54mm Girling pistons which I have just ordered from Der Franzose. I have new pads to go it too.

I had stainless braided hoses made for the front. I've sourced a good set of second hand rear pistons with undamaged splines so I can have a working hand brake again.

Hoping to start rebuilding calipers this weekend
I would get the old discs skimmed so the pads have a nice new surface to bed in on.

Since we are on this topic, allow me to post questions...
Without carefully examine the spec, I bought new brake servo that appeared to be having slightly bigger flange on the master cylinder side. The original one has already leaked.

I have been told this is from the later 504 model with dual circuit system.
Should I upgrade my master cylinder to dual circuit (to improve safety) and what is the correct master cylinder to go with? I am aware it would involve pipe modifications to adopt dual circuit system.

Master cylinder options
4601 50 - 20.6mm
4601 52 - 19 mm

They are about EUR 50-60 new include new reservoir tank plus shipping

The car is 1974 GL with 4 disc brakes.

Or, should I just source the correct servo that fits single circuit master cylinder? (The new servo costs EUR 165 plus shipping)

1613407059807.png
1613407364573.png

What's wrong with your current booster? If it is leaking air through the seal at the back , this seal can be replaced. Whereabouts are you?

There's a guy in Brisbane who can rebuild these boosters. He rebuilt my (original 1972) booster about 2 years ago.

I contemplated upgrading to dual circuit but only once in the entire time of owning the car (since 1980) have I had a master cylinder seal fail and I lost brakes.

What's wrong with your current booster? If it is leaking air through the seal at the back , this seal can be replaced. Whereabouts are you?

There's a guy in Brisbane who can rebuild these boosters. He rebuilt my (original 1972) booster about 2 years ago.

I contemplated upgrading to dual circuit but only once in the entire time of owning the car (since 1980) have I had a master cylinder seal fail and I lost brakes.
Im in Singapore.. not sure if anyone here can rebuild brake booster. Anyway, I ordered dual circuit master cylinder already. I am hoping the rear pressure compensator still work well

As one who had a master cylinder seal let go once, swapping over to a safer dual circuit is a no brainer. A bit of mucking around but worth it.