Peugeot 407 Article

Dr. 306

Fellow Frogger
http://www.drive.com.au/news/articl...-new/news/general/2003/12/10/FFX71WZ70OD.html

Peugeot's 407 bites back
By Chris. Gable
Wednesday December 10 2003

Peugeot has put the bite on Ferrari for its new 407, due here late next year.
Yes, that gaping "shark mouth" grille owes much to Ferrari's variety -- right down to the egg-crate insert. And it's definitely helped toughen-up the look of Peugeot's new mid-sized sedan, due on sale in Europe about April.

There'll also be a "Touring" version of the car, which is said to borrow heavily from the car-maker's Frankfurt Motor Show concept, the Eclipse.

Peugeot is at this stage being fairly coy about its new 407 but says it will come with both petrol and diesel engines, and transmission choices will include 5- or 6-speed manuals and 4- or 6-speed automatics.

There's also talk of the new, Peugeot-first double-wishbone/linked hub carrier front suspension and multi-arm rear set-up with steeply-inclined dampers designed to optimise boot width.

We're also told brakes on the new car are well up to the job, with discs up to 330mm diameter, and all 407 variants will come with a new-generation Electronic Stability Program. The new ESP comprises an anti-skid function, anti-lock brakes, emergency brake assist, new individual wheel brake force distribution and a stability control system.

Passive safety features -- depending on model variant -- include up to nine airbags, active anti-whiplash head restraints, adapative front airbags coupled with pretensioning set belts and a force limiter.

Peugeot here says the new 407 will come well equipped, with advanced air-conditioning, CD player and "follow me home" headlight function all standard.

Other standard equipment on same variants -- and optional on others -- includes:
. Memory function for steering column, seats and door mirror settings;
. Telematics equipment featuring audio, GSM telephone and GPS navigation ****ions;
. Parking sensors;
. Automatic windscreen wipers and headlights; and,
. Full leather interior.

100 Posts :dance:

Last edited:
Can't wait until we hear some concrete information about how it drives. Even in my limited experience in driving cars, I already well know that spec sheets don't necessarily make something fun to drive.

Hopefully there will be a 407 "Mi24" type sporty version with a 6 speed box somewhere :dance:

Dr. 306 said:
Telematics equipment featuring audio, GSM telephone and GPS navigation ****ions;
Okay I'm going insane trying to work out what part of the word got censored there :confused: I guess my swear word vocabulary isn't wide ranging enough :tongue:

rek said:
Hopefully there will be a 407 "Mi24" type sporty version with a 6 speed box somewhere :dance:
Yep, you don't need to hope, V6 with 6 speed auto :D

rek said:
Okay I'm going insane trying to work out what part of the word got censored there :confused: I guess my swear word vocabulary isn't wide ranging enough :tongue:
I just had a look at the article. It looks like the four letters are eff-u-cee-t, it's meant to be functions, but they misspelt it. Not quite a swear word, but sounds damn close when you say the whole lot :)

At least it's not like the Zeroforum software. I was typing up a post and used the phrase "chink in the armour", and it would always replace "chink" with "Chinese". The sentences always looked somewhat funny after that - fortunately there's that edit button!

407 show car

Dr. 306 said:
http://www.drive.com.au/news/articl...-new/news/general/2003/12/10/FFX71WZ70OD.html

Peugeot's 407 bites back
By Chris. Gable
Wednesday December 10 2003

.....There'll also be a "Touring" version of the car, which is said to borrow heavily from the car-maker's Frankfurt Motor Show concept, the Eclipse.

Nice try Mr. Gable, but the name of the show car was the 407 "ELIXIR", not 407 "ECLIPSE". Daft name in either case though.

The overhang on the front end is bizarre, rather like Frankie Avalon's hairdo in the Beach Blanket Bingo movies of the early sixties.... Peugeot says it's 1 metre, 2.9 cm! That's 3 feet four-and-a-half inches folks! My word, what were they thinking? Even a 900 mm overhang is too much, especially with a bumper/spoiler that low to the ground.

The car looks like a Chrysler Concorde, not a Ferrari...