Peugeot 405 SRDT pump removal

andrewj

Fellow Frogger
Hi Everyone,

Decided to show my trust 405 SRDT some love after years of rewarding loyal service with neglect. First was to put in a new starter motor - done and dusted in under an hour - too easy!

Next is pulling the diesel pump out to seal up the leaky shaft seal at the pulley end.
All has gone smoothly until I try to unbolt the three bolts that hold the pump on to the bracket on the engine. The top two bolts came off easily, but I can not for the life of me get hold of the bottom one. Is because the power steering pump and alternator are in the way.

Any tips?

Cheers,
Andrew

i seem to recall that i removed the pump with the bracket attached ,unbolt the bracket from the block with the ,pump attached .thinking i must have left that hard to get at bolt a little loose so i could adjust the timing if necessary on re instillation .pugs

i seem to recall that i removed the pump with the bracket attached ,unbolt the bracket from the block with the ,pump attached .thinking i must have left that hard to get at bolt a little loose so i could adjust the timing if necessary on re instillation .pugs
'hmmm, that would involve disturbing the timing belt, which I am hoping to avoid if at all possible!...

'hmmm, that would involve disturbing the timing belt, which I am hoping to avoid if at all possible!...
I don’t see how you could do it without disturbing the timing belt. Good time to change it, and it isn’t a difficult job. Just make sure your reference point on the crank is correct.. don’t rely on the bonded pulley for timing hole, mark it at the crank where the keyway is and then use a pin in the cam.

there is a hole in the block behind the starter motor were you can install a tent peg ,to lock the flywheel /crankshaft .[ for timing purposes mark the old belt to the crank , pump and cam ,name the marks ,remove the belt lay it in its side ,then transfer the marks and names accurately on the new belt ,,line up all the marks when you re install ,turn the crankshaft through at least 2 rotations before ,using the starter ,to ensure nothing is interfering with anything else ,do not use the tent peg to hold the crank ,PS the diesel pump is driven by the cam belt ,and has to be timed correctly or it will be squirting fuel into the cylinders at the wrong time ,.PUGS

Guess I need to role my sleeves up and get on with it. I did do a pump and timing belt etc, etc a few years back, which involved timing the pump (as it was off another car). The Haynes manual explains how to pin the pump pulley and remove only the pump, so hoping there might be some short cuts this time. Looking again at the photos, they are from a non-power steering car where access is a lot easier.

thanks for the words of wisdom.

Cheers,
Andrew

in case you haven't already started and ..(assuming yours is a Bosch pump)

there should be 3 bolts fixing the pump to the pump bracket, and 1 more at the other end of the pump. 4 bolts total with two being kind of underneath/behind
is it possible you've missed one ?

I use every socket/spanner/extender available to get access to all four. if you've only one set of spanners, you may need to do as suggested prvsly
I would prefer moving/removing pwr steer and altntr for better access and then removing pump, to taking off the pump/bracket together
that way you can put a timing mark pump-to-bracket to refer to when reinstalling, and leave the belt (assuming newish) on
the belt does not necessarily have to come all the way off, but it will be loosened to get the pump pulley off

careful when removing pump pulley, it will stick a bit but resist the urge to lever or clobber it

in case you haven't already started and ..(assuming yours is a Bosch pump)

there should be 3 bolts fixing the pump to the pump bracket, and 1 more at the other end of the pump. 4 bolts total with two being kind of underneath/behind
is it possible you've missed one ?

I use every socket/spanner/extender available to get access to all four. if you've only one set of spanners, you may need to do as suggested prvsly
I would prefer moving/removing pwr steer and altntr for better access and then removing pump, to taking off the pump/bracket together
that way you can put a timing mark pump-to-bracket to refer to when reinstalling, and leave the belt (assuming newish) on
the belt does not necessarily have to come all the way off, but it will be loosened to get the pump pulley off

careful when removing pump pulley, it will stick a bit but resist the urge to lever or clobber it
Hi run205,

Yep it is a bosch and yes, I can't get enough of a swing to loosen the bottom of three front nuts without hitting the power steering pump.

I'll proceed as suggested. This should do the trick!

Cheers,
Andrew

good o

it sounds like it'll be a bit more involved than you would have liked
but that's always the way
(pwr steering can be great to drive with and wery wery annoying system to work on)
dont forget to install your timing pins etc as suggested by angru/pugwash
and thrown on a new belt if there's a question mark over existing one

I’ve done this job a couple of times and the only way I’ve got to all the bolts is by cutting down a 10mm ring spanner. I also drilled a hole and attached a string to it so I can retrieve it when I’ve dropped it.

That 3rd bolt is a bastard, which is why, I suppose, someone who worked on mine before I bought it didn't do it up, and why it vibrated and broke injection line and one thing led to another..... it's quietly moulering away under a tree.

i pulled out my kit of modified tools to do this job out this morning taped together and living on top of the locker in the shed ,the cars long gone ,includes a couple of bolts with sleeves fitted ,suppose for locking the pump and cam ,,a long tent peg bent with a swooping right angle ,for the flywheel positioning hole behind the starter ,the ring end of a spanner welded onto a bit of long steel bent at a funny shape ,no drought to get at that aforementioned .bolt ,and two other bolts one with a nylock nut ,that i must have had a purpose for at the time ,

Bush Mechanic
When removing pulleys.
Grease back of pulley well
Undo pulley bolt, one turn only
Start engine
Apply lever to back of pulley, and will ease off