Peugeot 308 T7 2.0L Turbo Diesel (RHH) engine shuts down while driving.

CopaT

Tadpole
Tadpole
I have a 308 T7 which shuts down, often without warning. If I leave it turned off for a few minutes it will generally restart and go again for a few kms before cutting out again. Sometimes there is a display message 'Gearbox faulty' and other times it shows 'Antipollution system faulty'

The scanner shows the following fault codes:
P0336 $07E8 Crankshaft position sensor A circuit range / performance
P0337 $07E8 Crankshaft position sensor A circuit low
P1351 $07E8 IDM Input circuit malfunction/ Ignition coil control circuit High voltage

A mechanic has previously replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the battery has also been replaced, but the same issue persists.

Any suggestions on a possible cause would be appreciated.

Forget P1351 - it's the almost compulsory open circuit on the glow plugs. They are hardly used in our climate. There are no ignition coils in a diesel.

(Leftmost digit = 1 means a manufacturer specific code)

If a code scanner is not the factory tool and maybe the software not up to date, some have been known to sometimes generate 'junk' fault codes. P1351 may not be valid here. Those messages should leave faults behind in the log. The gearbox faulty message when it's not can sometimes point to the engine slave (fuse/relay) unit failing and it might come with a P0215 supply relay fault. Don't Supercheap read fault codes? NRMA can.

If a code scanner is not the factory tool and maybe the software not up to date, some have been known to sometimes generate 'junk' fault codes. P1351 may not be valid here. Those messages should leave faults behind in the log. The gearbox faulty message when it's not can sometimes point to the engine slave (fuse/relay) unit failing and it might come with a P0215 supply relay fault. Don't Supercheap read fault codes? NRMA can.
Thanks for the replies. I will get someone with a better scanner to check the fault codes.

I've seen the latch on the plug for the crank sensor fail, leading to the plug working its way out.
Should be easy to access though the driver's side wheel arch. It may be worth reaching in there and giving it a tug to see if it is seated properly.

Thanks for the replies. I will get someone with a better scanner to check the fault codes.
Hello
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, SOMETIMES ENGINE CUT OFF ON RED LIGHT OR STOP SIGN OR AT IDLE OR WITH SLOW SPEED IT SHOWS P1351

DID YOU FIND WHERE THE PROBLEM IS??!?

With the engine running wiggle the wires on the battery terminals ,see if it cuts out ,has all the hallmarks of loss of power from the battery ,could also be poor earthing ,dry joint somewhere ,fluctuating battery supply can cause a hole lot of faults to show which are totally unrelated to the problem,

ALL CABLES UND BATTERY VOLTAGE LOOKS FINE BATTERY IS ABOBE 12.8V
I TRYED TO MOVE THE CABLES WHEN ENGINE IS ON BUT NOTHING HAPEND! THIS CAR MAKES ME CRAZY, never again car from France, rubbish

The RHH engine is extremely reliable usually. I'd prefer one to most other car diesels. If a diesel stops intermittently, either the injectors aren't working, or there is a fuel problem or the air supply has stopped.

Injectors are controlled by the engine computer, so power supply and sensors. like the crank position sensor mentioned above may be faulty. An OBD code reader is needed to check these problems. Note the stored error codes, and clear them. If the problem returns see if the error codes have also returned. (Most of the sensors come from a German maker, and the engine computer and injectors are from a US firm).

Fuel could be insufficient through a dirty filter, or there may be air in the line, or worse, water. These are not going to give computer error codes.

Check the filter, and drain any water there. It is possible you filled from a contaminated service station tank. The RHH motor sucks fuel up using the engine pump. Air being sucked in from an opening would show at the transparent tube after the filter. Make sure the filter cover is correctly sealed after checking.

Air supply needs a clean filter and a working turbocharger. Vacuum controls the turbo and the inlet valves. Poor performance is more likely than a complete stop while in operation. Solenoid valves mounted at the rear of the head are the controllers.

Last edited:
Hello
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, SOMETIMES ENGINE CUT OFF ON RED LIGHT OR STOP SIGN OR AT IDLE OR WITH SLOW SPEED IT SHOWS P1351

DID YOU FIND WHERE THE PROBLEM IS??!?
Hi Tefi,
I think the issue was dirty contacts on the crank position sensor. After removing the plug and cleaning all the contacts I did not have any repeat of the problem.