Peugeot 308 repair or replace

Should I sell and replace, or repair.

• Total voters

En Cavale

Tadpole
Hi everyone. Last week my 308 wagon had a $7,700 scrape with a carpark pillar. The damaged area is the left rear panel including the door. The car is still 100% driveable and roadworthy. I can't decide whether to have it repaired, or sell it on Gumtree and move on. I love this car and want to keep it. I know it back-to-front and I think it has another 100k left in it. It's just that the body shop quotes equal the market value of the vehicle. 2011 Active HDi Wagon MY11 VF34HRHHABS138679.

The RHH motor is good for a huge mileage. Isn't the car insured?

If no insurance and depending on damage - 1) drive as is 2) fix it for less (s/hand door and cheap rear quarter job), or 3) Sell.
If it's insured comprehensively ... If it's a market value policy or just a low agreed value, insurance will total it for that sort of repair cost, which is expensive relative to the value of most low value cars. The policy ends with a total loss, you pay the excess, get the payout and they generally do not give back the pro-rated balance of the premium. Then buy a new car and pay stamp duty, new insurance and so on.
Here, you may have the option of being paid something for the damage, keeping the car and placing on 3rd party property only until repaired (if ever). It depends on the insurer. With most of them, if you just leave it to their assessor, they will total it and you are then stuck with that. In NSW, an economic w/off almost always means it's a statutory w/off and then for parts use only in NSW. You need to check the WA situation.

Not roadworthy with damaged panels, police will pull you over and slap a canary

Thanks, that all makes sense. The car wasn't comprehensively insured at accident time so all the costs are on me. If I could bring the costs down to $5k I would go for it. The first repairer I visited wouldn't provide a quote but repairers 2 and 3 both quoted at the $7.5k mark. I might be a couple more quotes, just to be sure. I'm in Brisbane now.

could you find a door in the same colour from a French car wrecker ,and install it[ provide that the damaged rear panel will allow it] ,that could reduce the repair cost , substantially

@kelpiebat : thanks and apologies for the late reply. Do you think a door from a RHR model would fit my RHH wagon? I've found a couple of 2010 308 wagons at a Peugeot wrecker but I can't work out if the left rear door and left rear panel from those models would fit my 2011 308.

As far as I'm aware the only change on the rear of the later T7 tourings was that they moved the Peugeot branding from the number plate light cover to the hatch panel around the middle of 2011. Doors and rear body work are otherwise the same from 2007 to 2013. It's possible the door card might be different depending on spec level - different interior handle finish and you might or might not get the interior blind.

Cheers

Justin

Update: I am getting the damage repairs done. I am also getting the timing belt replaced and some engine seals replaced. It's a mid-life refit but should get me to destination 200,000k.

If you need any other minor parts let me know as our white T7 wagon will be scrapped in 2 weeks. We have a replacement T7 wagon red this time 🙃

Can I ask what the timing belt replacement set you back ?

Cheers

Justin

If anyone can suggest a guaranteed-delicious recipe for a 70% chocolate brownie please let me know.

And here I was thinking every one who replied to you call for help was going to get a reward in time for Christmas! 🤣
Glad it worked out well though.