Peugeot 308 MCM 6-Speed gearbox jumping out of gear

pomaussiefrog

Tadpole
Hello fellow aussie froggers, I'm after some help / advice on an issue I'm having with my Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI 6 speed Manual Wagon. I happily owned a 307 with the same engine and 5 speed manual for five years without an issue, but this 308 has been a lot more trouble in the last 18 months since I bought it. It must have been a Friday afternoon car.

So I believe the gearbox is the MCM 6 Speed manual. The issue started with 2nd gear jumping out when shifting down from third and engine breaking (please don't turn this post into the pros and cons of engine breaking). Lately it has also started jumping out of 2nd when up shifting too, especially in the mornings when cold. I've also had it jump out of 4th and 6th gear when changing up higher up in the engine rev range than my typical style of driving. I'm thinking it might be a selector cable issue, as 2nd, 4th and 6th are the bottom gears in the H-pattern. I have checked the selector cable at the shifter end and there doesn't to be any free-play. I will check the gearbox end at the weekend when I have more time.

Especially when shifting into second I don't feel as though the gear has been properly selected. Also when it does jump out of 2nd it requires more force than usual to select 3rd. I quite often have to force it into 3rd. There has never been any crunching of gears, so I don't think it is the syncros.

I was thinking a oil change might be a good first call, as the vehicle has done 289,000kms and there is no record of the gearbox oil being changed. I was also going to add Nulon G70 as recommended in another post on this site,

Other things I plan to check are the engine bushes to make sure the engine hasn't moved back. Other than that I'm all out of ideas.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be wrong with it, other than it being French :D

I think you touch on a good point; if the engine/gearbox mounts are soft or worn they might allow movement which moves the linkage/cables from the jerking of the drive train at the time of a change.

Be sure to do your research before using any additives. synchronizers can be very sensitive to additives and changes in oil viscosity.