Peugeot 308 AL4 Gearbox no power P0721

navqx

Tadpole
Hi Peugeot Forum team,

Let me introduce myself I am Nav. I have an IT background and like to repair and fix issues as that is what I do as an IT Support Analyst. I also like to get my hands dirty fixing car issues. I learn't the basics from my dad, who has had Alzheimer's for many years now.

I bought a Peugeot 308cc 2009 a few months ago and carried out the following:
1) Timing chain replacement
2) Roof repair ( parcel shelf replacement)
3) Full service.

The car struggled to change from 1st gear to 2nd and caused a slight delay with high revs this was happening since the car was bought other gear changes were very smooth and life carried on.

The car now has an issue with the AL4 Automatic Gearbox. When engaging Gear (D-drive) the car does not move at all and in reverse R it is fine I have the following codes using Lexia 3 PSA Diagbox Software.

P0721 Vehicle Speed data fault (Gearbox section of diabox)
U0404 Gear information fault (Engine section of diagbox)
P0565 Cruise control signal fault (Engine section of diagbox)

I understand that codes may be related.
Work done is change of speed sensor Number 8 in the diagram
I dont have the other sensor number 7 as there is a blanking plate.

Does any one know what should be done to resolve the issue? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• P0721Gearbox.JPG
    P0721Gearbox.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 441
  • U0404EngineFault.JPG
    U0404EngineFault.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 434
  • SpeedSensor.JPG
    SpeedSensor.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,017
Welcome Nav.

Does the cluster display show that gear's are changing when you manually move to reverse/drive and 1st/2nd/3rd....4th usually doesn't hold for long when you are at stand still?
Can you select 2nd and move the vehicle or only reverse?

Item 6 has historically known to cause problem's or the valve body.

How many kms and has the transmission fluid every been changed. Wrong oil can also cause these issues.

With PP2000 check the pressure in the auto. Figure will be in bar.

Also check transmission ECU does not have corroded connectors at ECU end or at the connection at gearbox item 11.

Welcome Nav.

Does the cluster display show that gear's are changing when you manually move to reverse/drive and 1st/2nd/3rd....4th usually doesn't hold for long when you are at stand still?
Can you select 2nd and move the vehicle or only reverse?

Item 6 has historically known to cause problem's or the valve body.

How many kms and has the transmission fluid every been changed. Wrong oil can also cause these issues.

With PP2000 check the pressure in the auto. Figure will be in bar.

Also check transmission ECU does not have corroded connectors at ECU end or at the connection at gearbox item 11.
Hi Dimistyle,

the cluster displays the gears when you move to manual mode (reverse/Drive 1st 2nd 3rd, 4th not sure about)

2nd can be selected but has issues moving the car as it does not move when revving. Does not move even a meter checked 3rd also but same.
Item 6 the Neutral switch changed today for a new one (old one in pic) - reset the error codes, but same codes came back.
As for the valve body -Is that inside of the Gearbox?

This car has done 44739km and Transmission fluid has not been changed as was owned by one old guy for 12 years
as for the corroded connectors at ECU I checked them and all clean and also checked at the gearbox end item 11 and all clean. Also tested for continuity on the speed sensor connector.

I will check for pressure and get back to you hopefully tomorrow. A few weeks ago When I changed speed sensor and reset the error codes the car went to normal for 200 metres and then back to same problem of moving at 5mph at really high revs back home. It was as if something had cleared on the gearbox lines and then became blocked again. Now struggles to move even 1 or 2 metres

When I initially bought the car I used diagbox to test the following solenoids (see pic) and I could hear them click even inside the vehicle as the test suggested.

When I do a solenoid test on Line pressure modulation solenoid and torque converter lock up solenoid now on the same solenoids I hear a faint humming outside near the gearbox. Also, when carrying out a test on the other solenoids 1-6 Diagbox advises that an error code will be generated if they fail and aborts the tests.

thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Neutral switch.jpg
    Neutral switch.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 783
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Check line pressure. I have no good news here. Could have burnt out clutches or torque convertor is damaged.

Old posts on AF regarding AL4 will have expected pressure as i don't recall atm.

Do an oil flush using method mentioned on AF.

This will clean out the gunk/build up and hopefully get the valve body working.

The original AL4 from early 2000s had solenoid problems but not aware this issue still exists as our 308 with AL4 seem to run and change smoothly and have yet to change the oil but next on the list as have 110k on the clock but at 44k I'm surprised this vehicle has a VB issue?

Check line pressure. I have no good news here. Could have burnt out clutches or torque convertor is damaged.

Old posts on AF regarding AL4 will have expected pressure as i don't recall atm.

Do an oil flush using method mentioned on AF.

This will clean out the gunk/build up and hopefully get the valve body working.

The original AL4 from early 2000s had solenoid problems but not aware this issue still exists as our 308 with AL4 seem to run and change smoothly and have yet to change the oil but next on the list as have 110k on the clock but at 44k I'm surprised this vehicle has a VB issue?
Further update :
I tried to get manual mode (M) and it went into it M1,M2 and then would not move to M3 so placed it in D and went back to (M) and would not switch to manual (M) any more. As to the pressure to begin with at Idle cold it was running at 2.8 bars and after warm up at oil temp 44C pressure was 5.6 bars (see Pic). Also came up with orange message in centre display panel gearbox fault and snowflake and sports flashing on the dial. Left the car to idle and pressure slowly dropped but did not go below 3 bars as mentioned in the pic.

Not sure please can you explain "AF" or provide a link maybe?

Attachments

• OilPressureIdle.JPG
    OilPressureIdle.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 202
  • warmedUpOilPressure.JPG
    warmedUpOilPressure.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 227
  • oi pressure back to idleHigh.JPG
    oi pressure back to idleHigh.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 266
AF is the forum your on. Use the search function. Plenty or horror stories on the older AL4s.

Snowflake and sports means end of life of transmission oil. Change now and clear the oil counter but not sure if this locks out car from moving or the VB is gummed up. There's no way of knowing without getting your hands and driveway dirty.

The one thing that make changing the oil on the 308 difficult is the battery needs to be removed so make sure you can reach the filler plug before you need to move the gear lever maybe leave it in N as at least you can move it to P without the battery connected.

AF is the forum your on. Use the search function. Plenty or horror stories on the older AL4s.

Snowflake and sports means end of life of transmission oil. Change now and clear the oil counter but not sure if this locks out car from moving or the VB is gummed up. There's no way of knowing without getting your hands and driveway dirty.

The one thing that make changing the oil on the 308 difficult is the battery needs to be removed so make sure you can reach the filler plug before you need to move the gear lever maybe leave it in N as at least you can move it to P without the battery connected.
Thank you sooooo much for a quick response. I will order the oil today and will let you know once it is done. Do you think it would be a better option to open the ValveBody clean it and place it back or just oil change? I understand it will need a new gasket etc.

Hi I have well known instructions below:

Automatic Transmission Fluid Type Esso LT71141

PARTIAL CHANGE
DRAIN and REFIL process Litres 3.0

Drain out 3 Litres of oil approx.

1. Fill 3.0 litres of oil into gearbox.
2.Press brake pedal. move selector through all gears, then return to P
3.Ensure oil temperature has reached 60 C
4. Remove level plug
5. Allow stream of oil to reduce to a drip
6. If no fluid loss apparent then fit the level plug. Stop the engine and add a further 0.5 litres of oil and repeat stages 2-5 ( until sure oil has reached hard to get places using gears and then move to 7
7. Fit level plug

Automatic Transmission Dry/Fill oil required 5.9 Litres

1. Fill 5.9 litres of oil into gearbox.
2.Press brake pedal. Move selector through all gears, then return to P
3.Ensure oil temperature has reached 60 C
4. Remove level plug
5. Allow stream of oil to reduce to a drip
6. If no fluid loss apparent then fit the level plug. Stop the engine and add a further 0.5 litres of oil and repeat stages 2-5 ( until sure oil has reached hard to get places using gears and then move to 7
7. Fit level plug

Thank you sooooo much for a quick response. I will order the oil today and will let you know once it is done. Do you think it would be a better option to open the ValveBody clean it and place it back or just oil change? I understand it will need a new gasket etc.
Ideally don't play around with VB and solenoids unless you get desperate as it's a whole different set of tools and can get very frustrating...I've done this task on our C5s way too often.

Follow the oil change process and reset the counter

Regarding transmission oil - I have skin in this game as have a car with 4HP20 transmission, which has the same fluid recommendation (LT71141).

This stuff is hard to get and expensive if you can find it, but it appears that some modern synthetic ATF fluids are suitable. Salman (a Melbourne mechanic who occasionally posts on here) told me that he uses Total Fluidmatic MV LV.

There may be others that are OK, but I will leave others to comment, as "oils ain't oils" & I have no expertise whatsoever!

Use this fluid - readily available and the AL4 thrives on it. Its a better viscosity for smoother shifts, especially in hot weather.

Cruise fault would probably have me checking the brake light switch at the brake pedal, and speed signal fault looking at live data for each ABS ring sensor.

Use this fluid - readily available and the AL4 thrives on it. Its a better viscosity for smoother shifts, especially in hot weather.

OP is in the UK, so not sure Penrite is available but there should be some equivalent .

I only use Penrite, so far so good😁

Internet says Penrite is available in the UK but doucln't find ATF FS (full syn). If navqx decides to use Penrite then I'm sure local Penrite can advise.

Esso LT71141, now labelled Mobil, is readily obtained in the UK.

Esso LT71141, now labelled Mobil, is readily obtained in the UK.

There are a lot of fluids that meet LT71141 - its a specification, not a particular type as such.

The reno version of the same gearbox uses an ELF fully synthetic fluid im sure is readily available over there. Its the reason the reno DPO boxes have a lot less trouble than the PSA AL4 version - PSA used a fairly ordinary semi-synth Mobil LT71141 spec fluid that didnt last nearly as well as the full synthetic ELF stuff.

Hi All
the update for today is I changed the transmission oil 6 litres in 2 cycles and reset the counter. The problem of speed data P0721 remains and U0404 gear information fault remain. I noticed 2 ABS /ESP faults but when I tried to go into the module on diagbox I get "communication error" so unable to get live data for each of the ABS sensors. Is it likely that the ABS module has issue and causing speed data fault. Car moves ever so slight with extremely high revs. Any ideas where to go from here? I am assuming speed data is gathered from here? I will check the brake light switch at the brake pedal too as mentioned by Haakon.
global test.JPG

is it likely that it isnt going to engage a gear, until it is sure the brake is on ,whether that it the foot or hand brake ,

The brake switch is working it does engage gear, and you can see it on the screen, but high revs make it move ever so slightly