Peugeot 307 won't start

tigre

Tadpole
Peugeot 307 2 door convertible won't start.
1.6 petrol 107,000 km, auto tip-tronic.
i want to buy it but my folks say i am not really allowed to bring home a car that won't run.
The seller says RACV and another workshop tested it and found no error codes.
What is the likely reason then for the car not starting?
Thanks for any clues or how to find out.

See if you can get a Peugeot Mechanic like David Cavanagh to have a look at it for you and do a diagnosis and quote to get it running.

Last edited:
hey thanks for the tips,
apologies yes the car has a new battery already and it turns over.

i was thinking might be a fuse for the fuel pump or something simple.
Thanks for your idea you reckon it could be the brake pedal switch or the Park/Neutral lockout switch
thanks yes those sound like the usual suspects.

wouldn't there be error codes showing up for things like those since they are electricals?
this car has not shown any error codes at RACV or at a workshop.

I might need an auto electrician to look at it
or even as Ken W suggested
ask someone like David Cavanagh if they can look at it for me.

I guess i'll ring the lads at French Connection, couldn't hurt.
i've met Steve he is a good man, he bought some 4CVs off me a few years ago.
One had an R16TS motor and would kangaroo hop. {not a good look}

Already spoke to one workshop, he said "let me know if you're silly enough to buy it".

Can be lots of different things from a dud fuse to a damaged engine. Need someone who knows what he's doing to look at it first.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Since the battery was replaced has the car been locked and re opened with the key .it may be a security problem ,you may have to let it know you have legally entered the vehicle ,with a key ,pugs

Also if it hasn't been run for a while you may have to turn the ignition key on and off several times to prime the fuel line from the pump.

right okay thanks pugwash
so try turning the ignition on and off a few times to prime the fuel line from the pump.

yes the seller is Chinese he went away to Singapore i believe
and when he came back it wont start.

Take out the spark plugs, turn it over a few times to clear anything out.
Check to see if it has spark. Check if rats have nibbled anything visible. If there's spark make sure plugs are nicely cleaned or fit new ones.
Check if fuel is being pumped when ignition is on and engine is being cranked. If no fuel is happening go through the whole fuel system systematically. But if the crank sensor or the cam sensor are playing up it won't pump or crank. If there are neither spark nor petrol nor any fault codes you are probably looking at the BSI or the ECU which may need to be replaced as a pair. After that you'll find out what's really wrong with it.
If you know nothing about any of this be prepared to spend many times what you pay for the vehicle to fix it, or walk away. Depends on how lucky you feel that day. I would suggest it's a very foolish errand in that case.

Instead of throwing money here and there go to a Peugeot dealer near u and get a quote test it - maybe its worth known 100% all the cars faults at once and not going mechanic then electrical etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Luthier
thanks for the detailed list of operations.
Really appreciate everyone for their input on this topic thread.
I will see if i can sort it out before i decide whether to buy this 307.
yes if there is no spark or if there is no fuel getting through, then i will know what is wrong with it.
If there is spark and fuel but wont start then we don't know.
As you say i would likely be replacing the BSI and ECU.
i see your point as there is a roof ECU and an engine one that on eBay is about $425 a pop
but the whole shebang is likely way more and a price is too dear for the 2007 car is only worth around 3k.

I have bought a few car's with major issues. Unless I know what those issues are and how to potentially solve them, I walk away.

This included a 2006 307cc and my current 2010 c5, amongst others.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

@dcc236 thanks for the tip i see your point.
i was really keen on this because it's a convertible
but fixing it could become a costly nightmare.
i would probably be better off looking for a goer
as i'm unsure of the actual problem with it and not knowing much about it.

i had a 307 before that i replaced the lower suspension arm and things
but nothing was ever wrong with its engine.
Peugeots seem reliable to me i had a 205GTi for years.
it was a good car i put in a new clutch and serviced it myself.

im sorry i may not have explained sufficently ,when the ignition is turned on the in tank pump is activated for a short time ,to lift fuel from the tank ,so the ignition has to be left on for say the count of 3 or 4 ,several times ,if the fuel has run back to the tank after a long period unused ,i have a 307 hdi so am not totaly familiar with the petrol version .but have had to go through this same procedure with my sons partners Nissan tidda ,,,[parked for a while ,flat battery charged ,cranks wont start ignition on off ,starts no problem ],depends how much you are paying for it and how much trouble you are willing to go to ,take the air cleaner element out spray some easy start in the air inlet ,then try to start ,if it trys to run ,you have eliminated ,a lot of possibilities [problem has to be fuel ],,its difficult if you dont own it ,depends on the seller ,if they will let you mess about with it ,theres a fine line between getting a non runner going before you buy it ,as the seller may suddenly decide they wont more money ,are not willing to negotiate or decide they are keen to keep it now you have shown them its a quick fix ,try find a mobile mechanic who is not spooked by euros ,to give you there opinion ,pugs

@pugs thanks i see hat youn mean the ignition needs to be cranking over for a few seconds
and 3 or 4 times or more to prime the fuel line from the pump.
that could be the problem its just dry and the line is empty.
i will try to get the guy to give that a go and spray some starter fluid down the inlet.