Peugeot 307 EW10A Engine Oil leak. Advice wanted please.

PUG 307 CC

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi everyone. Some serious help and advice needed re: oil leak on my 307 CC with the EW10A engine.

So a few months ago, my mechanic thought the leak was coming from the valve / rocker covers gaskets. So, I then purchased new gaskets from AliExpress, and then was advised not to replace just the gaskets but also the covers as well at the same time. Anyhow, I then went and purchased brand new covers as well.

Now they were fitted by my ever so reliable mechanic yesterday. He then told me to take the car home and do another full degrease, and take the car for another run and check for leaks. Well I did this, and still leaking, and the leak is getting really bad now. My mechanic topped up the oil yesterday, and with a distance of 100kms driven since he had it yesterday, it is now almost halfway down on the dipstick. That means almost 500ml of oil in 100kms.

So been back to the mechanic today. He put it up on the hoist, and even with the engine running, we can not see where exactly the oil leak is coming from. It does not appear to be coming now from the covers, BUT we suspect it is leaking from the camshaft housing where it meets the head. He has asked me to ask around, and see if this is an issue in the past for anyone else with the 307 EW10A engine.

If so, do we need just new housing gaskets, or will we need brand new housings, or can the housings be shaved.......we thought that shaving them may not be an option.

Anyhow, we have decided that it is not best to drive the car anymore, until the car can be booked back in to dismantle the covers, cams and housings. I dont even know if I can buy new housings and gaskets, yet to do research on that. But he thinks the leak is from exhaust level and above. I am also thinking, that if the car is stripped down that far, that I may as well just go that bit further and remove the head and put a new head gasket in, as it would be terrible to have to replace a head gasket in a a year or 2 when we were so close to have replaced it now at this same time. Please anyone on here, with mechanical knowledge for advice and help. I am not asking for myself, but for my wonderful qualified mechanics, here in Tasmania. Peugeots are not a car that they normally work on, but are willing to go all out and get my car fixed, as they see that I love my car, by the condition it always goes to them in....always fully detailed, and cared for like a baby.

Now further on after doing a little research this is what I have found. Firstly, there are people in the UK, that have had leaks from the camshaft carriers/ housings. And has been known of more than just a few people that have had the issue. Mind you have not seen any post anywhere that people in Australia as having this issue. I have also not been able to find that these housings to be available to purchase anywhere, apart from maybe Peugeot Dealers. I also have been unable to find a pair of gaskets that go between the housings and the head. Even complete engine gasket kits, do not show such gaskets; and therefore maybe they are bed down onto high temp RTV gasket silicone. One place in the UK bed them back down on the silicone. Also from another forum here in Australia a mechanic has said that they do leak and to bed hem back down with Permatex. So, from this, my guess is, that it would not matter if the housings were slightly warped, as silicone should over come this issue.......I hope. So, unless I hear anything else on the next few days, I will go back to my mechanic with this info. Also thinking that maybe removing the head to do head gasket just may not be a great idea. As it will need removal of exhaust and exhaust manifold, and the fuel injection and inlet manifold. These removals may cause other issues, and could then open up a can of worms. So, I am thinking, I get my mechanic to do a compression test on all 4 cylinders, and if they return reasonable good numbers, then we leave the head intact..........................................ANY ADVICE welcomed.
🙂

Mr from Badger Head,

I have not had experience with the EW10A engine but I have had experience with DW10 versions in BXes and Xantias. They have a high pressure oilway that travels between the block and the head at the #4 end of the engine and this is 'sealed' by the head gasket. With age one gets seepage coming out between the head and the block just where the cambelt runs. Is you oil leak on your engine at the opposite end of the engine from the flywheel/transmission or near this oil passage?

If it is leaking from the Pressure oilway, you could try retorquing the head bolts around where the oilway transits to the head and see if that slows it down. Don't do the full angle tighten on the bolts, just take them to the last tighten torque setting and then maybe 30 degrees further.

Cheers, Ken

Yes the can boxes on these motors leak not as bad as es9 v6s but still common using the correct sealant is important it is not anaerobic sealant. If I can find a link I will ad it here. Not a hard job if your mechanic knows how to remove the cam belt

Reactions: COL
Mr from Badger Head,

I have not had experience with the EW10A engine but I have had experience with DW10 versions in BXes and Xantias. They have a high pressure oilway that travels between the block and the head at the #4 end of the engine and this is 'sealed' by the head gasket. With age one gets seepage coming out between the head and the block just where the cambelt runs. Is you oil leak on your engine at the opposite end of the engine from the flywheel/transmission or near this oil passage?

If it is leaking from the Pressure oilway, you could try retorquing the head bolts around where the oilway transits to the head and see if that slows it down. Don't do the full angle tighten on the bolts, just take them to the last tighten torque setting and then maybe 30 degrees further.

Cheers, Ken
Hello Ken,

Yes it appears to be coming more from the flywheel end of the engine, more so than the timing cover end. And on the firewall side of that camshaft housing side. So this probably why, when the car is at idle, not being able to see the seepage, but when the car is out on the open road, and hitting 3000 rpm, it is more likely to be leaking profusely. Would you recommend stripping the engine down further and installing a new head gasket, or simply re-torque the head bolts around #4 cylinder.

My only concern with removing the head, is if we then open a can of worms with issues involved in removing the exhaust and both manifolds.

I will be phoning my mechanic with all of the information that I have managed to gather over this weekend.

Cheers David.

Yes the can boxes on these motors leak not as bad as es9 v6s but still common using the correct sealant is important it is not anaerobic sealant. If I can find a link I will ad it here. Not a hard job if your mechanic knows how to remove the cam belt
Thanks for your help.

So on another forum on facebook, there is a well known mechanic by the name of Fred Hopkins, and he recommends to use Permatex® The Right Stuff® Black 1 Minute Gasket Maker, Apparently this is what he has used on assembly of V8 Supercar engines, and says it is the bees knees, especially where V8 Supercars rules and regulations do not permit even the slightest of oil leaks. Fred is well known in Australia for his workmanship especially to do with Renault cars, but also other French Cars.

And yes, my mechanic, is totally confident in removing timing belt, and cams. He has done timing belt on my Meganes that I have had, plus work on many other Renaults. Plus he has worked on Peugeots, but not this particular model Peugeot. I have total trust and faith in him, he knows what he is doing, but has never come across a leak like this.

Cheers David.

Hello Ken,

Yes it appears to be coming more from the flywheel end of the engine, more so than the timing cover end. And on the firewall side of that camshaft housing side. So this probably why, when the car is at idle, not being able to see the seepage, but when the car is out on the open road, and hitting 3000 rpm, it is more likely to be leaking profusely. Would you recommend stripping the engine down further and installing a new head gasket, or simply re-torque the head bolts around #4 cylinder.

My only concern with removing the head, is if we then open a can of worms with issues involved in removing the exhaust and both manifolds.

I will be phoning my mechanic with all of the information that I have managed to gather over this weekend.

Cheers David.
Hello Ken.

I have just taken my camera on my phone along the flywheel side of my head and then follow all of the way along the back of the head from flywheel side to timing cover side. And this has shown me more than, what we could see at the mechanic using mirrors.

And from what you suggest, looks very much like what is happening. The oil has pooled at number 4 down where it meets the exhaust manifold. It is oily all of the way along but is at its worst at number 4.

I have attached a copy of the video.

So now am really wondering if head gasket should be replaced, thinking just re-torquing the head, might only be a temporary fix. And by removing the head, we can then check if the head has warped.

Cheers David.

I have tried to upload a video that is only 24mb in size, but am told can not do it, as the file size is too large. I cant find as to what the limit is on file size. I will try compressing it further and then try again.

Okay, I have compressed the video as far as I can go, and then split it into 3 parts. This is the first part. Part 2 and 3 to follow.

And from what you suggest, looks very much like what is happening. The oil has pooled at number 4 down where it meets the exhaust manifold. It is oily all of the way along but is at its worst at number 4.
For reference, Peugeot (as do most French manufacturers) refers to the cylinder numbering starting from the gearbox end as #1.

For reference, Peugeot (as do most French manufacturers) refers to the cylinder numbering starting from the gearbox end as #1.
Thanks Simon. I was not aware of this, I always knew number 4 as being the cylinder closest to the flywheel, but that is on north-south engines and not east-west engines. Many thanks once more for that info. :)