Peugeot 306 not aircon light or blower fan - fuses OK

blahblah

Fellow Frogger
Happy Christmas everyone!

In time for a 43 degree Christmas drive today, the 306 has decided to throw a tantrum with the blower fan not working.

I've checked the fuses, (5 and 20 from memory), and they're both OK. The recirculate and air con on/off buttons don't operate either with no lights.

Before I pull out the console and look at the air con control panel, are there any other suggestions?

Regards,

Happy Christmas everyone!

In time for a 43 degree Christmas drive today, the 306 has decided to throw a tantrum with the blower fan not working.

I've checked the fuses, (5 and 20 from memory), and they're both OK. The recirculate and air con on/off buttons don't operate either with no lights.

Before I pull out the console and look at the air con control panel, are there any other suggestions?

Regards,
I've had this. It wasn't the the control panel behind the dash. I had a short in the wiring behind the fuse panel that was in turn blowing the fuse. But that doesn't sound like your issue. Have you checked the engine bay fuses? I think there is another in there related to the AC.

Check the fan brushes? Several 205s around d here have done this of recent. Once they wear down the motor stops, the brushes conduct more current on a fixed rotor and fuse blows and or fan over heats, Fortunately the 306 has metal runners for the brushes, the 205 is plastic. Check these as they are a wearing item, and need renewal, after 20 years its time!

PS Merry Christmas. my 306 has new brushes, charged with green freeze and never been better.

Thanks for the replies - the fuses aren’t blowing and the aircon light in the switch isn’t coming on. The compressor and radiator fans aren’t kicking in either but work with engine temp. Will have another look… when it’s cooler!

Ah the pressure switch is not triggering, indicating low gas for starters, the fans are part of this circuit so no surprise. Why the cabin fan isn't going is a mystery they always are on. Aircon light may be linked to aforementioned circuit and indicate same issue. Check pressure switch first or put a gauge onto low pressure side it should be well above atmospheric 14 psi, something like 30 psi at least.

Ah the pressure switch is not triggering, indicating low gas for starters, the fans are part of this circuit so no surprise. Why the cabin fan isn't going is a mystery they always are on. Aircon light may be linked to aforementioned circuit and indicate same issue. Check pressure switch first or put a gauge onto low pressure side it should be well above atmospheric 14 psi, something like 30 psi at least.
Sadly Matthew I think you’re right - I can see a mist of oil that looks like it’s from one of the compressor connections. I’ll need to take it to someone who can sort out the seal and regas it.

Check your ignition switch. Contacts in there can cause these issues.

Fixed it! There’s a relay which supplies power to the fan/aircon controls, air flap motors and the radiator cooling fans (high speed). I’d replaced it previously so assumed it was ok… This had failed and when replaced it all fired up and the aircon works. I think the fine mist of oil on the hoses is possibly from the power steering (or something else). Will clean it up and monitor it. I think there’s a dodgy earth in there somewhere that’s putting strain on the power supply.

Ah forgot that issue too, dodgy relays, Now at this age the hoses may also need upgrades, the flexible bits, but wait until gas leaks out for this one!

Having replaced 80% of my XSi's air con. Over the last 6 months I can confirm it becomes a bit of a chase from one fault or leak to the next. But hopefully you find that earthing issue and it's sorted!

I've had this. It wasn't the the control panel behind the dash. I had a short in the wiring behind the fuse panel that was in turn blowing the fuse. But that doesn't sound like your issue. Have you checked the engine bay fuses? I think there is another in there related to the AC.

I’ve just been going through the 306 wiring diagram and repairing blower fans on 2 car.
It is common for the fans to fail due to a buildup of sticks and/or leaves. This should blow fuse 21 due to excessive current draw.
It is also common for the relay to burn out due to being marginal for the application, it generally lives next to the orange one but location may change with model variables.
If light in AC button is illuminating it’s likely due to a fault with bad brush contact in the blower fan motor. I had this along with a bad relay in one car and a short behind the fuse panel blowing fuse 21 in the other car.

I found the short by unplugging the blower fan and inserting a new fuse that blew in about 2 seconds.

The upside is I now know my way around these fairly well.

If the A/C system short cycles works sometimes or the A/C clutch won’t kick in to is likely to be a open circuit created by the pressure switch due to low gas levels and/or a potential leakage.

I have a 207 and trying to locate the a/c relay. The air blower fan works but no click on the compressor so suspect either the compressor or a fuse/relay. appreciate any guidance.