Peugeot 306 heater blowing cold air

Dan93

Tadpole
Sorry if this is a commonly posted issue, but I haven't had much luck with the search function looking for this problem.

I've effectively had no heater in my 306 for over 2 years now, and seeing how we're heading back into winter, I thought I'd have a proper go at finally getting it fixed haha

My 306 has what I think is referred to as climate control (Baseline temp of 20, uses external temp to operate) and there is just a lack of hot air with the heater turned on. All other hvac functions work fine, all fuses/relays linked to hvac are fine, coolant level is full, and both hoses to the core are hot when the engine reaches running temp. Also, I haven't noticed any coolant smell/leakage in the cabin, or any leaks where the core hoses meet the firewall.

Just had a look behind the centre console also, and the electric motor that the temp dial controls is operating, but I can't seem to hear a difference in the air flow if I switch it while the fan is running on full.

Despite having owned this car for over 4 years now, I'm rather inept when it comes to how most of the electrics work, so I might be overlooking a common issue.

thermostat?

There doesn't seem to be any issue reaching normal temp, or maintaining normal temp once running (apart from a dodgy cooling fan)

Would the heater core hoses be warming up if the thermostat is stuck? Both hoses are hot to the touch consistently after reaching operating temp.

Thanks for your help :)

Sounds like the blend door motor is not activating? You say you can hear the electric motor operating yet maybe the spindle it moves is stripped? Alternatively the heater core could be blocked yet you should feel some warmth if it flows hot out of the return pipe. Modern cars bypass the heater matrix until heat is required to maintain a set temperature. So the door works constantly unless on max heat or max cold. Good luck.

Had a bit more thorough look around, and I've noticed sounds coming from behind the front facia when adjusting the heat, although I don't know for sure if the flap is moving as far as it should be. There's also an audible change in air flow when it moves, and there is sometimes a few seconds of warm air being blown, but this dissipates after a while, especially on high fan speeds.

I backflushed the heater core with a hose (at low pressure, was rather paranoid about breaking the core), and once the initial coolant came out, everything coming out was relatively clean, apart from a bit of black sediment at the bottom. After doing this, the warm air I could get out of the heater was noticeably warmer, but it would still only blow for a few seconds, before going almost completely cold/lukewarm.

I also bled the cooling system again, and there didn't seem to be any substantial air pockets anywhere. The indicated water temp is totally normal when driving also, no hot spikes or anything, just gets rather close to 100 degrees while idling for extended periods of time, before coming back down to 90ish.

Yep, the temperature control (blending ambient and heated air) motor can strip its internal final drive pinion.

and somewhere in a post here a pinion from a model shop is suggested as a cheaper alternative to the 'proper' one

I think mine has the same issue, although if I turn the engine off then on again, clubs and goes to the right temp.