Peugeot 207 CC 1.6 Vti no response from turning key to start position

gwest

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
I sold this 2007 207CC with 134,000 km earlier this year to a young student. In my defence I should add that I did everything possible to ensure the engine would be reliable! It had an engine transplant from an XT with 100,000 km on the clock, with new piston rings and valve seals fitted- the cylinder head had a total rebuild. It also had most of its rubber seals/ O-rings replaced as well as new plastic bits like the thermostat, expansion tank and coolant pipes. It ran very nicely and I was quite impressed with its performance. I did about 4,000 km on it before I sold it, looking for a new project.

Today I received a call from the new owner to say that when she started it this morning it ran very badly and had a depollution system faulty warning. Then it stopped.

I was surprised to find that while the ignition switched on as normal (with the above warning showing) when you turned the key to the start position there was absolutely no response. No solenoid clicks - no turning over. The battery voltage was around 12.0. My Launch diagnostic reader could not connect to the ECU. It read the other modules ok. And previously when I owned the car it read the engine ECU ok and gave similar results to Diagbox. We tried her spare key fob and it made no difference.

The only adverse recent events were that she had hit a kerb sufficiently hard to bend the LHS front steel rim. It had also been using a small amount of coolant, although there were some signs of splashes around the fan housing. The battery connections looked fine as did the multi-plugs into the ECU. The oil level was also ok.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

I should have added the following information.

VIN VF3WB5FWF33888701

Diagnostic troubles codes: Launch 123. All faults are permanent.

Automatic gearbox. 0026: Accelerator pedal position not characterised.

ABS U1308:Engine ECU operating fault. Not characterised.

U1108: Communication missing fault with engine ECU no signal

Power steering: U1108 Fault engine status information. Not characterised

U 1308 Fault engine status information. Not characterised.

I wonder if 12V is a bit low for the battery at no load? Perhaps try swapping the battery before digging too much deeper?

Andrew, that was very perceptive of you. Today I returned to the car thinking that maybe her slight offroad excursion had broken some electronic component or a wire in the loom. This time I sat behind the wheel. Ignition came on but the battery icon was flashing. To my surprise it started, although it ran very badly for a while - I am assuming that the ECU had to relearn the optimal settings. The GPS HUD (not connected to the OBD port) voltage display took a while to come up to 14.4 so the charging circuit is ok. The battery is new so hopefully all that is required is for the owner to drive it a bit more. Being parked in the street limits her options for charging it from the mains.

You may have the solution. The U codes came down to no information from some sensors (inc pedals) and from the engine computer. System out of action in other words.