Peugeot 206 XT (2005) Horn broken & Airbag light on

kimstanek

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hello all!
I have just bought a Peugeot 206, late 2005 XT model, its great fun to drive, very zippy though there’s an issue and I'm after some help!

When I test drove it, I saw that the airbag light was on, and after a little research thought It would just be a case of having it reset, so i went ahead and bought it. The day after I went to use the horn and its also dead. I feel a bit stupid for not having checked this (too trusting and mislead with a somewhat dodgy mechanic receipt) but now looking to trouble shoot and resolve the issue - I suspect they are linked. Between me, my girlfriend and our dads we're pretty competent mechanically, and work on various cars and motorbikes, though normally pre 90's - this is the newest one for me!

We spent the day yesterday going through the obvious, took off the horn and tested this straight from the battery and its loud and clear. Swapped some fuses around to check that it wasn’t the issue. We put a multimeter on the female horn plug and can measure only 8V, after a bit of googling it makes me think that there is resistance in this squib sensor / clock spring. This would kinda make sense as this wiring assembly operates both the airbag and the horn.

I took off the airbag from the steering wheel (very carefully, battery disconnected and left to discharge for a good halfa) There were no obvious breaks in the cable or plugs, so it might be further down the line. I’ve read that over time this part can just wear out. There is a bit of a ‘ticking’ noise when I turn the wheel all the way in each direction, as though something is clicking internally which I assume isn’t totally normal, and may be the cause of the wear.

There’s a couple of parts that can replace it, and wondering if anyone would direct me to one over the other

Link for --> Just the wiring assembly

Link for --> The wiring assembly with the plastic housing and contacts

I’ve contacted the seller with my VIN to make sure they’re right, but wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any other suggestions or things to try.

I also might be looking into a diagnostic tool, if the above doesn’t fix the airbag issue. My dad has a Bosch one, which made me more confident to reset the airbag light initially, though it doesn’t read the pug codes or reset the issue. Any pointers on a cost effective edition would be great. Alternatively If anyone has one in the inner west area of Sydney (or further afield) that they don’t mind me using I’m happy to bring a 6 pack.

Cheers,
Kim

Attachments

• pug206_s.jpg
    pug206_s.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 72
Yes, the most likely suspect is the "clock spring".
The module containing the clock spring and the stalk controls is called the COMS unit. Unfortunately there are a number of versions that yours could potentially be (being 2005). If you have stripped the COMS unit down and the plugs (airbag and horn) on your unit match the plugs on the the ebay spring, it will probably work. Although, at those prices, I would be tempted to buy a whole used COMS unit from a wreckers. At least you will know the clock spring is installed correctly (hmmm I guess).
You need to hope the ebay item comes with instructions as winding the spring too tight or too loose could put you back to square one!
The airbag code will go away on it's own when you fix the problem.

Edit; Hmm I would have thought with the airbag and horn failures the car wouldn't have passed road worthy/safety certificate?

1 if our 308s which passed RWC with no horn working, had the same issue we swapped BSM engine bay fuse box no change .

Then noticed previous owner removed the car kit and wiring was tapped into horn circuit for power.

Reconnected wiring to BSM correctly and horn worked again

Have the same issue on my 2003 Peugeot 307, there's a couple of YouTube videos where they test for continuity on the airbag plugs on the steering wheel after removing the airbag unit and the cowling, in order to determine if it is indeed the comms unit.

Could you do a similar test on your car?

Yes, the most likely suspect is the "clock spring".
The module containing the clock spring and the stalk controls is called the COMS unit. Unfortunately there are a number of versions that yours could potentially be (being 2005). If you have stripped the COMS unit down and the plugs (airbag and horn) on your unit match the plugs on the the ebay spring, it will probably work. Although, at those prices, I would be tempted to buy a whole used COMS unit from a wreckers. At least you will know the clock spring is installed correctly (hmmm I guess).
You need to hope the ebay item comes with instructions as winding the spring too tight or too loose could put you back to square one!
The airbag code will go away on it's own when you fix the problem.

Edit; Hmm I would have thought with the airbag and horn failures the car wouldn't have passed road worthy/safety certificate?
Thanks for the info

I did consider replacing the COMS unit, though thought I might need to reprogram the central locking and wondered if a second hand one might present the same issue in the future if it is down to wear and tear.

Regarding the safety check, yeah... The airbag light was identified and I knew about that though the mechanic receipt said safety check which is where it gets a bit dodgy...

Looking to get it fixed before Rego is due

1 if our 308s which passed RWC with no horn working, had the same issue we swapped BSM engine bay fuse box no change .

Then noticed previous owner removed the car kit and wiring was tapped into horn circuit for power.

Reconnected wiring to BSM correctly and horn worked again
Ahh thanks, maybe something to check too. With the airbag not registering and bring off the same wiring as the horn I'm hoping one part will fix them both.

Have the same issue on my 2003 Peugeot 307, there's a couple of YouTube videos where they test for continuity on the airbag plugs on the steering wheel after removing the airbag unit and the cowling, in order to determine if it is indeed the comms unit.

Could you do a similar test on your car?
Yes, I saw one with a 3 Ohm resistor, I thought that all the other features from the COMS worked so maybe it was just the clockspring

If you were to replace the COMS unit and the central locking didn't work, you could swap out the "high frequency module" in the top of the COMS. The HF module operates in a couple of different modes and you are right, it might not be compatible with the central locking transmitter in your key. But as I said, you can just swap out that module with your old module.
The clock spring breaking is fairly unusual, however, there must be a reason why the Chinese are "knocking them off". I.E. ebay, banggood, Aliexpress???

There would be lots of 206's wreaking in Sydney, buy a replacement Comm unit and swap out. I dont know if there are any pick a part style wreakers near you

Just be aware of the exact switch you are looking for.
Three types of multifunction switch on 206.
Pick and Payless at Blacktown always have them.
Check on-line.

Just be aware of the exact switch you are looking for.
Three types of multifunction switch on 206.
Pick and Payless at Blacktown always have them.
Check on-line.
Thanks for your input, just to clarify can you describe the switch you're referring to when you say there are three kinds?

I had a couple of busy weeks so just addressing it now!

I went through this with my daughters 206. Ended up getting Colliers automotive to fit a brand new unit - which was about a $900 exercise from memory. And yes, you need to match either the VIN or the unit to ensure you get the right one. You could fit a secondhand one, but how would you know how old it was, or how long it would last?

I think what he means is that there are different models of comms 2000 units available.

Berridale - P&P at Blacktown no longer exist. They shut at the start of the year.

There are basically 2 types of COMS units. VAN BUS and CAN BUS. In 2004-2005 PSA cars went from a Vehicle Area Network to a Controller Area Network communications system. The two systems are not compatible. The two types of COMS units look very similar but the give away is the horn and/or steering wheel connector (from the clock spring). The two airbag connectors are standardized and remain the same. The "guts" of the two COMS units are also very different.
On top of that, there are options like radio controls, rear wiper, cruise control and so on. On the later model COMS units (CAN BUS) some of these options are on "pods" sticking out the side of the unit. On earlier units (VAN BUS) they were incorporated into the steering wheel or on the end of the stalks.