Peugeot 206 GTI Track car

turbo pug

Fellow Frogger
Hi all I have a 2002 206 GTI 138 that’s pretty rough so we are thinking of making the car in to a track car, I see on AF that some of you partake in motor sport and I was after some advice on the basics to get the car ready to use so here are some of things I was thinking about;
The seats do I need a proper race seat or can I use a GTI 180 seat.
Do we need to fit a roll cage I’ve been looking at a 6 point bolt in type but no one ships to Australia.
The front suspension needs new lower arms and shocks so we are thinking of upgrading so to improve handling.
The interior is going to be stripped to a certain degree.
The engine we are going to leave std to start with but would like to increase the power at some point ( I have a spare engine to play around with)
Exhaust: I have a complete 180 system including manifold but would we lose power by fitting this.
Wheels do we stick with the alloys or use still rims?
Brakes we are going to fit 180 front brakes and change the rear pads and fluid.
Do we need to fit an electrical isolator, fire extinguisher.
If anyone can give us some advice on these topics and anything we need to get started would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Depends entirely on the level of motorsport you're aiming at. If it's a dedicated track car then you may as well strip the interior and just keep the dash. Roll cage should really be welded in for maximum strength and rigidity. You don't need to have a roll cage for Supersprints for example, but you're mad not to if the car isn't registered.

The major ticket items are:
upgraded torsion bars
lsd
shock absorbers
brakes
tyres
gearing

You can leave the original seat, but obviously a harness is a must.
Fire extinguisher - yes
Isolator - depends on the level of motorsport.
Headlight film - yes
Tow hook - yes
Secondary bonnet retaining method - yes

Many people run club supersprints for example, with very standard cars, other than safety items listed above. Obviously the lighter you make the car the better it will perform without spending lots of dollars. A good investment for entry level motorsport are a set of C5 wheels and Yoko A050's.

Notice I didn't mention power or the front springs.

Last edited:
Bond roll cages in Sydney do 6 point bolt in roll cages to self fit from $1500.
More expensive for cages suitable for state level events.
I use Walker Chassis in Adelaide for weld in cages starting at $3k

It use to be you can't run steel wheels with semi slick.
Standard 206 16" alloys are fine.
I use them with 205/50R16 Yokohama A050.

I ran steel wheels for many years. Good for learners but heavy. Thus why I suggested the ultra light weight C5 alloys. Additionally, 15" tyres are a lot cheaper than 16". You'll possibly recoup the cost of a set of C5 rims on the first tyre change.

Thanks for the information guys it’s much appreciated we have enough information now to get started the car is not registered so we shall be fitting a roll cage I was thinking for the uprated torsion bars would ones from a 180 be or do they need to be larger. To start with we will use a 180 seat and harness so we can use our money for the items mentioned it should be a fun project and one I’m keen to get started on. Thanks again David

You could start with 180 bars, they are slightly larger.

Along with LSD, they are the most significant modifiction in improving lap times and making the car handle. Best to invest in big bars initially.

Peter says best to invest in big bars. I would suggest if you can get a set of 180 bars for very cheap, like ~$100, then it's a worthwhile upgrade. Same would go for front suspension setup including ARB.
I've got 24mm bars on the rear of mine, which is about as big as you can go without totally disassembling the rear beam to fit.

I agree on best bang for buck being LSD, either Quaife or plate diff (maybe plate diff for a track only car).

I have a spare 138 rear beam that I can strip and convert if needed as I converted my turbo project to the 180 set up I also bought a 22mm front ARB which is available from Peugeot ( later 138’s had a 22mm front ARB) we will look for a 180 set of shocks or more than likely go aftermarket set up and fit adjustable top mounts, I have a quaife diff on my project so we will look at both options for this car the brakes will be 180 fronts and the rears will be new with better pads. I’m thinking we will loose the A/C and convert the alternator belt to a non A/C version to save weight but keep the heater/blower to keep the screen clear if needed. We will remove the air bag system. I noticed when I last drove the car that the gear linkage was very stiff so I need to replace the linkage and bushes is it worth fitting a short shift so we can get better gear changes.