Peugeot 2006 307 Diesel Wagon

En Cavale

Tadpole
Hello. I am considering purchasing a Peugeot 2006 307 Diesel Wagon from a small euro vehicle dealer in Perth with a really good reputation. It has 200+ km on the clock but otherwise checks out. I am wondering if I should get an additional pre-purchase check, or whether the dealer pre-purchase service and check is enough?

Only you can really answer that based on how confident you are about your own abilities to spot faults. If the seller is known to sell vehicles without faults (some dealers just wholesale out those with faults to dodgy small yards) then I guess that's reassuring. One thing is that around this mileage the Eolys fluid service may be due, which is quite expensive. If it's Eurocars, then they will know for sure the status of this service item.

Rather than mention specific dealer's names, I have sent a PM to you.

Cheers
Roland

:banana:

Thanks. I am pretty confident with the dealer, but the last model I owned was a 504 and things have changed a bit since then for me.. I will ask about the Eolys fluid, good point.

Only you can really answer that based on how confident you are about your own abilities to spot faults. If the seller is known to sell vehicles without faults (some dealers just wholesale out those with faults to dodgy small yards) then I guess that's reassuring. One thing is that around this mileage the Eolys fluid service may be due, which is quite expensive. If it's Eurocars, then they will know for sure the status of this service item.

Yeah, apologies for naming Eurocars, but when I was looking for a 307 wagon they always seemed to have a few with around 200,000km done.

Values of most cars drop severely when they have done over 200,000 k's.Mainly in my opinion as the presumption that they are going to fall to bits shortly up the road.I think the lowest distance any of my 'Froggies
have ever done would be 130,00 k's.a 2 y.old 504 auto.Did over 1.2 m k...Some really high 307's diesel's are available.
So that fact should be kept in mind that some of the high k 307 Diesels are advertised at prices very close to the low k cars.

The afore mentioned car yard has an extremely long 'Froggie' reputation which is worth appreciating.I would strongly suggest checking service records + speaking to the previous owner.

Actually looking for one for a friend while I am here in Albany.

It's a good idea to look for injector problems at that age. Take it for a test drive from cold and warm it up and listen for noticeable change in engine noise or rough running.
They SHOULD still be good, but Peugeot was fitting a lot of different injectors from different manufacturers around that time period and not all are equal, so it's a good idea to check.

After what I've heard of them, I wouldn't buy a 307 in a fit....especially a high mileage one. Search this site for 307 probs....it could turn into a money pit.

You have fallen into the common trap of having had an older Pug....a 504....and thinking the newer ones are just as reliable. SOME are.....but the 307 is the last one I'd buy.

Look at Carsales.com and see how many are for sale. There's a reason for this. And don't be fooled by the occasional person saying theirs did high Ks with few probs.....they are in the great minority.

I've owned my 2007 307 wagon since new.

It is about to have its 10th birthday and has covered 215000 km.

It seems to be getting better with age - it has been a lot more reliable in the last few years than it was when new.

I'm still very happy with it. I will probably replace it this year or next, but only to get more safety gear. And a softer ride would be nice...

Beano I think you are exaggerating - are you perhaps thinking of 'Prince' engined cars? I know of several people who have diesel 307 wagons (one is my son) & none are having problems!

That said, En Cavale hasn't told us whether his proposed purchase is 1.6 or 2 litre, and if 2 litre whether auto or manual - potential issues may vary depending on the answers.

The most reliable model is probably a late T5 with the original low-powered 2 litre engine and no particle filter - the later ones have the extra service cost (as Stuey mentioned) of refills for the EOLYS fluid, and there have been problems with blocked DPF, but that can be caused by too many short trips, and no diesel behaves well under those conditions. At least Peugeot have produced (and sell) genuinely low emissions diesels - unlike another euro manufacturer who we won't name in the same post as Peugeot!

Cheers

Alec

Last edited:
Hi. It's a 2.0l 6 spd manual diesel wagon. I think it's the facelift model, 2006. VIN 3ERHRH. I have bought it. Yes, I am aware that some 307 lemons exist and have caused their owners $ and effort. I anticipate some issues with this one due to age and mileage. But the price was good, I couldn't find any major faults, and the report from the Peugeot mechanic who did the pre-buy inspection was also good. I would like it to last another 6 years when I will have paid off my mortgage and I am prepared to spend a few more $ to keep it running and in good condition until that time.

Good on ya mate! If it's 6-speed it's definitely the later type 2 litre motor, with all the anti-pollution gear. If it's 2006 then definitely face-lift model (T6). Just to confuse things, the last shipload of T5s came with the new motors, but these should all have 2015 build & ADR dates.

We had one from new for 3 years/75,000 km, and only sold it because we were in the middle of house renovations and needed money to pay for the kitchen. It was the top-spec model, with 16" wheels and very stiff suspension. This certainly made it very secure at speed on windy roads (& I imagine we have more of them than you :D ), but tended to draw complaints from elderly parents, who didn't like the harsh ride. It wasn't caused by the 16" wheels (vs 15"), as I had a drive of a 1.6 litre wagon with 16" wheels, and it's ride was noticeably more comfortable.

I can only remember 3 problems - 2 fixed under warranty:

1. EGR valve. This was the subject of a recall, so should have been changed on your car in 2006 or 07. Hopefully the replacement unit had been redesigned, as the original gummed up and stuck (open?), which prevented the engine producing any useable power. This happened to ours about the time we received the recall letter, and resulted in ours being trucked back to the dealer (they bent our towing eye!!).

2. Brake (light) switch. This again was a common fault (but not a recall). Turning off engine cleared it, but it would recur during the drive. It was not obvious that the cause was the brake pedal switch, as the symptoms were that ABS, ESP, EBD and cruise control were disabled. Car was still driveable, but obviously not as controllable in an emergency situation (which thankfully didn't occur).

3. Steering pulled to the left. This was not fixed by the dealer. Best they could do was to insist that wheel alignment was correct, and therefore there wasn't a problem. Here is a thread which has a good discussion of the problem: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/98288-308-steering-drift-left-wheels-aligned.html

In our case it was (at least partly) tyre related. I particularly remember it being much worse after new tyres were fitted. Took it back to tyre service and they fixed it - claimed to have just rotated the tyres until they found a combination that went in a straight line.

Cheers

Alec

Beware of being told that this is to allow for the road camber in LHD countries. I am not joking; I was once told that until I informed them I knew a little bit more than they thought I knew about cars.

The term used for a tyre pulling is called a lazy tyre...often swapping the 2 fronts neutralises the problem.

EGR is a common fault on DW10B engines.
It can also intermittently fail in the closed position, causing the engine to choke and surge.
It can be hard to diagnose if you've never seen it before, so its good to know.

Just my two bob's worth. I bought early last year a 2006 307HDi 2 litre, six speed wagon with only 114,000 kms on it. Not long after buying it, I got a message on the dash that the anti-pollution system was faulty. I took the car to a Peugeot dealership, who gave me a diagnosis that the turbo was stuffed. They quoted me $5,700 to fix it. I smelt a rat, so I started to do a bit of investigating. Sure enough, I came across heaps of owners of similar vehicles who had been quoted exhorbitant figures (up to $8,500) to repair their vehicles and who had decided just to scrap them. I took my car to my local mechanic, who charged me $350.00 for an injector clean, and I haven't had a problem since.
I can only guess that Peugeot dealers are lying in wait for these owners to come in, in order to tell them that their car's trashed and that they should replace it with another vehicle. I wonder though, how the car salesman would be able to counteract the fact that the potential customer has already been told by the service personnel that Peugeot is a dud brand.
Just beware - Peugeot service centres are not your friend when it comes to an honest diagnostic report. If the car once went well, there's no reason that it can't again. Trust your local mechanic for an unbiased report.

Last edited:
Interesting and wow those are big figures. I now have one eye on the dash for that warning light. I intend taking my 307 to the same Peugeot mechanic who did my pre-buy inspection, and who is not employed by a dealership.

My 307 sat for 3 weeks while I was in hospital (again), and when I first drove it, the same message came on again. So I took the car back to my mechanic and he again did an injector clean, and no problem. Somebody on this site has suggested that when this warning sign comes on, to pour a half bottle or a full bottle of methylated spirit into the fuel tank.
I threw this idea to my mechanic yesterday and he agreed. He said that while I"d been in hospital over most of March, it had been raining heavily, and in probability, it had developed some humidity sitting above the diesel. He said that the methylated spirits would burn off the condensation.