petrol tank cleaner

alpine

Fellow Frogger
Is there a proven product/ method, to loosen crud in old petrol tanks?

Alpine,

I used the POR15 kit on a crusty 504 Ti tank recently!
You need to remove the tank and follow the instructions to the letter but its relatively simple. Let it 'dry' over a week or more to ensure the product goes 'off' before refitting. No more brown fuel filters at the back of the car after that.
Ian.

Is there a proven product/ method, to loosen crud in old petrol tanks?

Colin,

You need to put a quantity of gravel inside the tank and then strap the tank to a concrete mixer: Switch on the mixer for 15-30mins or until all the "krud" is loose.

I think you get the general idea.

con...

Hi Gerry,

For what it's worth I've had two tanks professinally cleaned. They use an acid etch to remove all the rust in the tank. Very happy with the result.

I'd avoid the internal coatings etc. as when they break down (and they will eventually) they become the problem...! Use something like "Fuel Doctor" to avoid the issues with moisture in the first place.

Cheers,

Mark...:)

G'day,

so what's wrong with modern fuel ?

When we changed from leaded all those years ago there was a couple of filter changes as the new stuff scoured the tank and lines......

cheers,
Bob

petrol tank cleaning

hi all
i thought it is about time to give the info how to clean old petrol tank,as i just did the one on my peugeot 203.
dont bother with por 15 as it will pill off and make more problems,realy waste of money .i think it is $100 for the kit
do it your self you need soloution of hydrochloric acid ,you can buy in pool shops but it is nasty in risky job and will have to be neutraliazed with soda bicarb .will be good for small tanks like motor bike .you can read about it by googling how to clean petrol tanks.
the best way ,and yes you may have to spend some money is to go to radiator place .there is national one
called natrad which dip your tank in caustic in it comes clean .it is $120 worth while . you will have to keep the tank full if you dont use the car too often.mine was more complicated
as there was a lot of rubish inside and had to be opened from the top ,and a new mesh was soldered at the outlet pipe on the bottom of the tank.i must say it is well spent as i have no more problem of fuel line blocage.
if you want more info you can always contact me
cheers ron