Perhaps lucky we didn't get the ZOE here?

JoBo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
An owner's report:
At the moment I regret it... But not the electric car itself, but the manufacturer...

In 2019 I bought the Renault Zoé. Today, five years later, the money and the car are gone...

Short form:

At the end of 2022 with 95,000km I had damage to the engine element. Just outside of Renault's short warranty, they gave me 50% of the material costs. So I was able to have the engine replaced for just under 3,000 including labor. The repair was quick, the engine arrived within four days and the change took less than half a day.

At the beginning of 2024 with 115,000km I could no longer charge. The message “Battery charging impossible” appeared on the display. Vehicle was moved from one garage to the next and again to the next (different types of mechanics - since charging caused a battery failure, it needed a Type3 mech). Back at the Type 2 Mech now the message: There is something more defective. The charging station has apparently destroyed the PEC. As I understand it, the charge controller.

Now, after five years, the vehicle is a complete economic loss. I have never had a vehicle in my life that was so expensive to repair after five years that it was no longer worth it. and why? Because Renault simply replaces the entire modules as a whole. This simply costs > €6000 for a repair because the “spare part” costs €3100. At Renault you have exactly three parts that can be defective in the drive: motor / battery / control element. Even if it's something small (like last time), the entire module always has to be replaced:

main-qimg-1b499cf429622df9d679b780cb4a21d3

I am still enthusiastic about electromobility. But definitely no more Renault! Buy a BEV from a manufacturer that is familiar with electromobility and also offers a guarantee on the otherwise very durable hardware...

Jaahn, are angry because i posted that or angry that a car is worth zero after 5 years?

Tesla's will be worth zero after 10 years as a consolation

An owner's report:
At the moment I regret it... But not the electric car itself, but the manufacturer...

In 2019 I bought the Renault Zoé. Today, five years later, the money and the car are gone...

Short form:

At the end of 2022 with 95,000km I had damage to the engine element. Just outside of Renault's short warranty, they gave me 50% of the material costs. So I was able to have the engine replaced for just under 3,000 including labor. The repair was quick, the engine arrived within four days and the change took less than half a day.

At the beginning of 2024 with 115,000km I could no longer charge. The message “Battery charging impossible” appeared on the display. Vehicle was moved from one garage to the next and again to the next (different types of mechanics - since charging caused a battery failure, it needed a Type3 mech). Back at the Type 2 Mech now the message: There is something more defective. The charging station has apparently destroyed the PEC. As I understand it, the charge controller.

Now, after five years, the vehicle is a complete economic loss. I have never had a vehicle in my life that was so expensive to repair after five years that it was no longer worth it. and why? Because Renault simply replaces the entire modules as a whole. This simply costs > €6000 for a repair because the “spare part” costs €3100. At Renault you have exactly three parts that can be defective in the drive: motor / battery / control element. Even if it's something small (like last time), the entire module always has to be replaced:

main-qimg-1b499cf429622df9d679b780cb4a21d3

I am still enthusiastic about electromobility. But definitely no more Renault! Buy a BEV from a manufacturer that is familiar with electromobility and also offers a guarantee on the otherwise very durable hardware...
This story is quite dismaying. I like the idea of moving to an electric vehicle - for environmental reasons - but the stories like this, of massive failure at a young age of the vehicle make me very very wary.

Ian.

I have a 55 year old vehicle with tried a tested technology.

And the new age wonder cars have 20% the life and are throw aways, and can't really be RECYCLED, so will go to land fill .....

I say Nothing.
Ray
304855261_5998745063471827_229097831102896150_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes this 69 year old van has been my daily for nearly 12 months, 5L per 100 kms, only one issue that cost $79 to fix.
Only yesterday I took this 100 year old bike for a ride over to the next town for a coffee with a couple of mates. I finished it 4 years ago, and have only had one problem with it that cost $60 to fix.
Trouble with EVs is I don't think the younger generations will care. They've grown up in a throwaway world. So when their EV finally shits itself, they'll just shrug their shoulders and buy a new one.

Resized_20240320_161838.jpeg
Resized_20211029_171609(1).jpeg

Last edited:
This story is quite dismaying. I like the idea of moving to an electric vehicle - for environmental reasons - but the stories like this, of massive failure at a young age of the vehicle make me very very wary.

Ian.
The thing is, it is probably not a massive failure - it is probably just a very minor failure somewhere, but it is cheaper for the manufacturer to junk a whole module and bring in a new one from a supplier in China than it is for them to employ a person to find and fix the fault, or to stock individual spare parts so that things can be repaired. So instead they just throw the whole unit away. But they'll still do lots of marketing - probably with images of frogs and rainforests and happy smiling people - claiming to be "green" and "environmentally responsible".

Yes this 69 year old van has been my daily for nearly 12 months, 5L per 100 kms, only one issue that cost $79 to fix.
Only yesterday I took this 100 year old bike for a ride over to the next town for a coffee with a couple of mates. I finished it 4 years ago, and have only had one problem with it that cost $60 to fix.
Trouble with EVs is I don't think the younger generations will care. They've grown up in a throwaway world. So when their EV finally shits itself, they'll just shrug their shoulders and buy a new one.

View attachment 240045View attachment 240044
Correct. Quite sensibly, they want fridges and they get fridges. Love the A30 van - I had a teacher in High School in Adelaide with one as his daily drive. Haven't seen one since about 1966 I am quite sure. Well done. Looking at the exposed chain on the bike, I wondered whether you sit side-saddle to the right? :)

The thing is, it is probably not a massive failure - it is probably just a very minor failure somewhere, but it is cheaper for the manufacturer to junk a whole module and bring in a new one from a supplier in China than it is for them to employ a person to find and fix the fault, or to stock individual spare parts so that things can be repaired. So instead they just throw the whole unit away. But they'll still do lots of marketing - probably with images of frogs and rainforests and happy smiling people - claiming to be "green" and "environmentally responsible".
Correct. It is a large scale version of a common problem. For example Scenic II digital instruments were not the most reliable. One or two dry joints in a recognised place and one small component prone to overheating. Both easy fixes but Renault understandably sold new units only. There was a good business in England with replacement units for a modest price! Be interesting to know whether Zoe owners in France encountered this problem and whether the aftermarket folk attended to it. When we eventually get an EV, it will be one with proper backup and a goodly number of that exact model on the road.

Correct. Quite sensibly, they want fridges and they get fridges. Love the A30 van - I had a teacher in High School in Adelaide with one as his daily drive. Haven't seen one since about 1966 I am quite sure. Well done. Looking at the exposed chain on the bike, I wondered whether you sit side-saddle to the right? :)
I'm on to it, I've had a chain guard (for both sides of the bike) on my "to do" list for 4 years now.😉

Wait, "I've got a to do list"???🤔

There's been a couple of articles in UK Guardian on the Zoe recently.
This one is in regards to a £11K HVAC issue, and you clink on the link (in purple text), there is another article on a £7.5K repair quote for a Zoe charging problem.
The second Zoe's insured value is only £5.6K.🤷‍♂️

Ah what a terrible experience. :(

But we did get Zoes here, or are we talking about a particular year version? They didn't sell many, so it's easy to miss them.

But we did get Zoes here, or are we talking about a particular year version? They didn't sell many, so it's easy to miss them.
77 imported and 63 reported as sold. Either there's 14 new Zoes still sitting somewhere, or the dealers are using them for company cars.
Dunno if its 0 star NCAP had any impact on its sales success or not?🤔