Pays to shop around!

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I am finally getting around to doing the headlight conversion on the D. This requires a 7" headlight conversion kit and are available as either NARVA or Hella.

I got the part numbers from their respective websites today and rang some local suppliers. The Narva (5604/100) is the cheaper price all round by about 20%, but the price ranged from $120 at Autopro to over $185 at a local parts supplier. Interesting...:rolleyes:

UFO said:
I am finally getting around to doing the headlight conversion on the D. This requires a 7" headlight conversion kit and are available as either NARVA or Hella.

I got the part numbers from their respective websites today and rang some local suppliers. The Narva (5604/100) is the cheaper price all round by about 20%, but the price ranged from $120 at Autopro to over $185 at a local parts supplier. Interesting...:rolleyes:

Hi UFO,

I guess that rationale for this is to get bright new reflectors, and crystal clear lenses etc to brighten things up a bit. Just a clarification...is the Narva Part No. 72040 and the Hella Part No. 5604/100?

UFO said:

Thats great ufo I didnt know you could get them locally an new:approve:
one DS we have are so bad Id wouldnt like driving it at night:nownow:

Dan

D'Oh! It also pays to get your facts correct!

The Narva part is 72040 and Hella is 5604/100. Both these sets are 100w/55w.

Daniel - the job is a little more complex than pop out the old ones and pop in the new ones. You must sacrifice an old original headlight for each side because you need the back off it to make a new frame to silicon the replacement light into. When I do the job I will photodocument it for you. In the meantime someone will probably find a link on the net.

Fitting of new wiring and relays will also be in the job.

Repaired and repainted light boxes are ready and I will get the protective film soon too.

Craig - Are these preps for Cit In? Or are you taking the XM?

Maybe I should be doing the same thing. I still have the two candle power jobbies up front too.

Maybe I should be doing the same thing. I still have the two candle power jobbies up front too.

What about the yellow globes? Will we see any of them at Citin?

UFO said:
D'Oh! It also pays to get your facts correct!

The Narva part is 72040 and Hella is 5604/100. Both these sets are 100w/55w.

Daniel - the job is a little more complex than pop out the old ones and pop in the new ones. You must sacrifice an old original headlight for each side because you need the back off it to make a new frame to silicon the replacement light into. When I do the job I will photodocument it for you. In the meantime someone will probably find a link on the net.

Fitting of new wiring and relays will also be in the job.

Repaired and repainted light boxes are ready and I will get the protective film soon too.

Thats cool I have a box full of old dead DS headlights somewhere in the shed, thats alot better than ordering something from france.

Dan:cheers:

danielsydney said:
What about the yellow globes? Will we see any of them at Citin?

I don't think the yellow globes are legal here in the nanny state of NSW. They do look good though and are all the rage among D owners in Europe! :)

Boyracer said:

Taking both cars. I hope to have the headlights done before Cit In. The drive home from the meeting the other night in the rain and via the coast rd from Stanwell Park was "interesting". Better than being on the F6 with the strong easterly gusts making things yuck!

As you would probably be travelling to Dubbo in daylight it may not be necessary to worry about doing your lights before Easter.

Daniel, the yellow lights are, I think, not ADR compliant - although they do look good :rolleyes:

UFO said:
Taking both cars. I hope to have the headlights done before Cit In. The drive home from the meeting the other night in the rain and via the coast rd from Stanwell Park was "interesting". Better than being on the F6 with the strong easterly gusts making things yuck!

As you would probably be travelling to Dubbo in daylight it may not be necessary to worry about doing your lights before Easter.

Daniel, the yellow lights are, I think, not ADR compliant - although they do look good :rolleyes:

I have seen them on a stunning noir 1968 Pallas that had bucket loads of money spent on it sitting at Dentons about 6 years ago.
No, I mean ask my uncle in france to find a good second hand one of course.

Ok I have got a question regarding DS headlamps...:D

How much better is the directional feature compared to fixed headlights - can you really see around corners?

Can someone explain how this works - I think I need a ride in a DS :joker:

Joel

STALLED said:

How much better is the directional feature compared to fixed headlights - can you really see around corners?

Joel

Mate words cannot explain how good it is:approve: I once was amazed in ho w I could see house numbers in a dark street.

STALLED said:

Joel

The directional lights are excellent. They seem to light up the places you want to see before you even look there and it's all done by cables and springs.

Another little-known feature are the 'self levelling' headlights (not fitted to all D's, I think they may have been optional). As you can imagine a D tends to waft up and down and all over the shop. More cabling and springs make sure the main beams don't light up the skies above or the road immediately below - they're always level and pointing straight ahead. :headbang:

STALLED said:

Joel

When they are setup correctly they are very good. About 50km later they are usually spotting possums for you or lighting the other side of a multilane freeway :rolleyes: They can be a real bugger to get right and keep that way.

Now about the ride in a DS. You'll have to think about it for a while and make a decision and then act on that decision. So, you should maybe get a ride in a DS sometime before the world runs out of oil.:tongue:

Come along to one of the days out and look longingly at a D and mutter under your breath "never been for a ride in one" and pretty soon you will be bounding over speed bumps. IF you are rool lucky you may even get a drive. But we'll have to think about that.....:approve:

i bought a gps navigation today for $800 when they were selling the same one 3 shops down the road for $1200

definetly pays to shop around :p :2cents:

Craig,

I might have to come along to another CCCNSW meeting/event in the near future - Its a tad hard ATM with school etc!

I'd love a DS, - The car wouldnt be garaged and I am worried that it would get eaten away by rust within months. Dad's car allready has enough rust in it not being garaged let alone a rather expensive DS, maybe in the future I might get one when I have the space so I can really appreciate such a fine car and take care of it properly. Then again I dont even have a car yet:D It would be very cool as a first car, maybe not that practical - I do want a car I can drive in summer without melting:crazy:

Maybe one day!

Joel

Joel

Are you ever going to get around to buying a Xantia? People keep pointing you in the direction of them for sale....

UFO said:
Joel

Are you ever going to get around to buying a Xantia? People keep pointing you in the direction of them for sale....

Craig,

Being back at school and its HSC year - Ive kinda stopped looking for a car at this stage, I know everyone is helping me to try and find the right car and Im mighty thankfull of it - shows what a great community AF really is. Its just that I am really busy with school, study, assignments etc etc I dont really have the time to be spending my weekends or during the week spending hours looking at cars - it becomes a bit of a distraction.

Basically - If its not this year, It will be next year most likely after my exams, I would like one... I just have other priorities at this stage!:)

I'm still looking - It will happen.....eventually

Joel