Panel air filter

ean36

Fellow Frogger
Hi guys, I've recently (last week!) picked up my MY04 206XT Manual and have not stopped driving since!! :)

Anyway, I would like to get some advise as to the installation of a panel filter. I know they're not as good as the induction types, but, in light of keeping my new car warranty, I'm after a K&N filter asap. However, my first enquiry at AutoBarn returned a nil result - in that it doesn't exist in Oz for the 206 (or not imported by the distributor yet). Someone else told me to look out for the brand "piper cross" (not sure about the spelling)?

Any input would be much appreciated. Especially if you can direct me to the store / brand / part number etc.

Thanks guys!

ean36 said:
Hi guys, I've recently (last week!) picked up my MY04 206XT Manual and have not stopped driving since!! :)

Anyway, I would like to get some advise as to the installation of a panel filter. I know they're not as good as the induction types, but, in light of keeping my new car warranty, I'm after a K&N filter asap. However, my first enquiry at AutoBarn returned a nil result - in that it doesn't exist in Oz for the 206 (or not imported by the distributor yet). Someone else told me to look out for the brand "piper cross" (not sure about the spelling)?

Any input would be much appreciated. Especially if you can direct me to the store / brand / part number etc.

Thanks guys!

It does exist i had one in my 206 XT which was manual also, and i left it in there when i sold it, should have take it out and could have sold it to ya. I got it from the UK, have to find the link to the site i found it on. It is very easy to install, you just unscrew the four screws around the airbox, open the airbox up, pull out the stock one, and then replace it with the k&N which fits nice and snug. The place the lid back on, replace the screws and away you go.

It gives a nice little induction note

I will see if i can find the website when i get home. It ended up costing me delivered about $110.

Simon

I know that Rocket industries Are the importers of K&N in Australia. BUt the source from the US.. You may need to source one from the UK, if you have problems finding one Locally..

Good luck...

BLK206 said:
It does exist i had one in my 206 XT...

It gives a nice little induction note

I will see if i can find the website when i get home. It ended up costing me delivered about $110.

Simon

Thanks Simon, I look forward to the URL. I've had problems sourcing it here. Called a couple of auto stores and they've all contacted the K&N distributor to be told that they (the distributors) will need to contact the US. I find this rather odd, considering the number of 206s around the place.

The part number does exist on the us website, but it lists the model as being from '98. Can anyone confirm that this is the right part (i.e. the airbox hasn't changed in anyway since the introduction of the 206)?

With the strong Aussie dollar, I'm sure it'll be more that worthwhile to get it from the US or the UK; apart from the 'long...' (read: can't wait to have it now!) wait.

Thanks again.
-Mark

ean36 said:
Thanks Simon, I look forward to the URL. I've had problems sourcing it here. Called a couple of auto stores and they've all contacted the K&N distributor to be told that they (the distributors) will need to contact the US. I find this rather odd, considering the number of 206s around the place.

The part number does exist on the us website, but it lists the model as being from '98. Can anyone confirm that this is the right part (i.e. the airbox hasn't changed in anyway since the introduction of the 206)?

With the strong Aussie dollar, I'm sure it'll be more that worthwhile to get it from the US or the UK; apart from the 'long...' (read: can't wait to have it now!) wait.

Thanks again.
-Mark

Ok here it is http://www.filterpower.co.uk/

They dont give prices on the site, but you just email them, and they get back to you quite quickly, and the delivery was quick also.

Simon

I have some K&N thing I swapped in and out of a 206 GTi, with the conclusion that it made absolutely NO difference at all.
Don't waste your money.

Thanks Simon. I got in touch with the UK last night (our time) and placed an order. Should arrive within 7-10 days. Warwick: I had the K&N in my ex cars (Audi & MGF) and found it made a 'good enough' difference. Of course, if you want better airflow, you'll have to get the 'pod type' induction filters. However, the pods will unfortunately void your warranty (not something I want to do to a 1 wk old car) and is also illegal in NSW.

Will let u know what difference it makes....

Cheers guys.

ean36 said:
Thanks Simon. I got in touch with the UK last night (our time) and placed an order. Should arrive within 7-10 days. Warwick: I had the K&N in my ex cars (Audi & MGF) and found it made a 'good enough' difference. Of course, if you want better airflow, you'll have to get the 'pod type' induction filters. However, the pods will unfortunately void your warranty (not something I want to do to a 1 wk old car) and is also illegal in NSW.

Cheers guys.
Who is the person that told you it would void your warranty??
I don't see how a K&N of Pod filter of any kind will void your warranty, firstly something would have to go wrong with your car, secondly they would have to prove that the replacement filter was the cause of the problem, as long and the filter is stopping garbage from getting into the engine I can't see how this would void the warranty. Now, Having said that, If your intentions are to change the filter because you want to car to sound a bit more throaty, by all means this is the way to do it. But if this is the only modification your considering doing because you want more horeses, don't waste your money. The car is at its optimum when it comes out of the factory, unless your considering some serious modifications on the car...then that's another topic.

But hey by all means put the filter on their, I don't want to sound negative in any way.:2cents:

:cheers:

Gak306 said:
Who is the person that told you it would void your warranty??
I don't see how a K&N of Pod filter of any kind will void your warranty,
:cheers:

I'm pretty sure the car is tuned probably out of the factory; but I've always felt that allowing more airflow into the engine is the best way of 'getting that little bit more' - at least a definite improvement in response for simply spending $100 on a mod. Secondly, I'm simply 'guessing' that the pod will void the warranty because it is illegal in NSW.

Cheers :)

ean36 said:

Cheers guys.

Howdy - I joined up here just before everything crashed last week - Check out http://206gti.net/intakemod/ - this has info on how to do a cheap & effective intake mod on a 206 gti (i'm assuming the XT's have similar airboxes) This gives a bit of extra torque and also gives the intake a nice sound - without being too ricey.

Cheers.

Michael
02 206gti

gti138 said:
Howdy - I joined up here just before everything crashed last week - Check out http://206gti.net/intakemod/ - this has info on how to do a cheap & effective intake mod on a 206 gti (i'm assuming the XT's have similar airboxes) This gives a bit of extra torque and also gives the intake a nice sound - without being too ricey.

Cheers.

Michael
02 206gti
Nice photo of your car Michael.

ean36 said:
I'm pretty sure the car is tuned probably out of the factory; but I've always felt that allowing more airflow into the engine is the best way of 'getting that little bit more' - at least a definite improvement in response for simply spending $100 on a mod. Secondly, I'm simply 'guessing' that the pod will void the warranty because it is illegal in NSW.

Cheers :)
Of course airflow into the motor is good and the more the better, only if the engine can process all the extra air, once I changed to a pod filter we found that the amount of air coming in couldn't be process and pushed out fast enough with the standard inlet and exhaust manifolds. But the claim that a car with an air filter and tuned length exhaust produces more power isn't entirely correct, the first mods on my car were exactly that, we had the car on the dyno before and after, increase of power was zero, increase of torque was zero. Once we took the next steps and starting working on the car properly the modified filter really made a difference, we also found that a the K & N filter I had on the car was actually restricting the amount of air going into the motor, then we changed to a pod, and that think really sucks!!:approve: (air that is).
As for a pod being illegal, I have not heard this so am uncertain as to weather or not it is.

Gak306 said:
Of course airflow into the motor is good and the more the better, only if the engine can process all the extra air, once I changed to a pod filter we found that the amount of air coming in couldn't be process and pushed out fast enough with the standard inlet and exhaust manifolds. But the claim that a car with an air filter and tuned length exhaust produces more power isn't entirely correct, the first mods on my car were exactly that, we had the car on the dyno before and after, increase of power was zero, increase of torque was zero.

Talking about airflow, has anyone ever 'tried' to use the airscope on the bonnet? I assume it is carried over from the rally model for 'looks' on the road car. Can anyone direct me to a link that shows under the bonnet of the rally car? BTW, how's the rally car going this year?

Finally - can't help but feel 'cheated' that there won't be any power/torque increase. Hopefully it'll feel 'faster' nonetheless (even if it's only in my mind) :) heh heh......

-Mark

ean36 said:
Talking about airflow, has anyone ever 'tried' to use the airscope on the bonnet? I assume it is carried over from the rally model for 'looks' on the road car. Can anyone direct me to a link that shows under the bonnet of the rally car? BTW, how's the rally car going this year?

Finally - can't help but feel 'cheated' that there won't be any power/torque increase. Hopefully it'll feel 'faster' nonetheless (even if it's only in my mind) :) heh heh......

-Mark

The bonnet vents DO perform a function: they are the fresh air vents for the in car ventilation system. If you look under the bonnet you will find that the section of the engine bay is sealed around the vents. There is a pollen filter at the back which flows the air back into the cabin.

That said you could channel air from there into the intake but it would require a lot of plumbing etc to make it happen.

you wont get not torque or power increase - they will just be very marginal and probably wont be that noticable.

Cheers!

Michael

ean36 said:

-Mark
Mark, the road car came before the 206 WRC so the air vents were allways a design statement.

For a cheap but effective intake modification have a read of this How To on 206GTi.net:
http://206gti.net/intakemod/

kermit said:
Mark, the road car came before the 206 WRC so the air vents were allways a design statement.

For a cheap but effective intake modification have a read of this How To on 206GTi.net:
http://206gti.net/intakemod/

I've done the above mod - was really easy - took me about 2 - 3 hours all up and cost about $7 for the parts that i didnt have laying around the shed. It's about as effective as the K&N induction kits etc for a fraction of the cost :)

Michael