P02420 2006 Pug 307cc

dcc236

Fellow Frogger
My daughter's pug 307cc has just thrown a check engine light. Scan revealed a p0420 code.

How do I check if it's a bad cat converter or something else?

Engine is the 2L petrol RFJ.

I know she uses 98 or 95. The car is 14 years old and done 175,000 kms.

Any advice on how I check if it's a bad cat or O2 sensor/s?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I would also suspect plugs and/or coil packs. I recently had a coil pack fail (petrol 406 V6), and it gave me a cat fault.

Admittedly a code for the faulty coil pack was also stored, but I'm pretty sure that ageing spark plugs could cause problems without triggering a specific fault - just the more general anti-pollution error and cat fault.

Cheers

Alec

There are two catalytic converters on Lions with EW10A Engine. One is part of exhaust manifold. The other is under the car, the usual cat position.

The catalytic converter that usually fail on RFJ injection system is the exhaust manifold one, very close to combustion Chambers and pain in the ass to remove, just like the 3FY, XFX & XFV. I think that's the one the downstream oxygen sensor monitors, not the main cat under the car. Will check and confirm.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

Replaced those plugs yet? I think it's the post-cat O2 sensor that blames the cat when it detects higher than normal oxygen levels.
Also in my 406, I get an anti pollution fault if I let the fuel tank level get too low. A full tank of 98 and a few hundred km (preferably highway I suggest) usually fixes it.

Plugs and coils are 18 months old.

Car drives as well as it ever has. Cleared the codes and check engine light is now off. I've advised her not to worry if the cel comes back.