Old, old starter motor fixemup

well there you go, thanks for your reply, i posted that july3 ,i had forgotten all about it ,!

I wouldn't use self amalgamating tape on those windings. It does fuse together nicely but it remains soft and anything will damage it, including grit/crap that works its way into the motor. One other thing I would look at is heatshrink tape. It works exactly like heatshrink tube (same material) but it is a tape so it will take whatever shape you cover with it.

Thanks Schiltzdude, I tried my local Jaycar without any joy, staff apathy being part of the problem. Truth is I got tired of driving all over town for a 'frikin' roll of tape. So ebay to the rescue. True it's not pretty but if the tape does what was claimed I'm on a winner. It does however, looks like the ducks giblets when hidden inside the case.
Because the inner is concave I think it may be Adhesive backed Glass Cloth, I recall RS or Farnell may stock it

https://www.huskytape.com.au/products/electrical-insulation/

An Excellent restoration!

Over the decades I pretty much have given up on Geoff Wood/DickSmith/Jaycar and now mostly use Altronics. You can still call your nearest store and get knowledgeable advice and mail order.