oil problem =(

PugPower

Fellow Frogger
well i am having a litle oil problem and hope someone here has any advise.

today it was -35 C **COLD** and i had to go to work so i dared drive my mi16 in that weather hehe

On my way back from work i noticed a smell i stopped and checked the engine:
while the car was still running ,oil was squerting out of the hole (the one where u check the engine oil level) so the smell was oil cooking on the engine!!

So to my question

what can it be ???
is it gona ruin my economy ? hope not =)

/Samer
mi16-90

Yikes :eek: !!

if you ask about '+'35 (and higher) temperatures Aussies will be able to help much more. I can't even imagine -5C letalone -35C. Let me guess, your in Canada?? :D

seeya,
Shane L.

[ 02 January 2002: Message edited by: DoubleChevron ]</p>

Yeah Shane, Sweden's the capital of Canada... :D

Samer, were there any other symptoms or problems? Sounds like an overfilled crankcase or extreme pressure build up in the crankcase (really shot rings?). But this might be a problem unique to cold weather - fortunately the coldest we get here is about +3C...

Stuey

Samer,

The problem you have is caused by what is jokingly called "mayonnaise" over in Europe. The ventilation system on these BX and Pug 405 series is prone to getting condensation in them which when mixed with the oil turns into a creamy coloured mush which looks very much like the salad dressing mayonnaise, hence the name.
You will have to take off as much of the breathing system as you can, which are black rubber hoses and wash them out with a solvent, possibly petrol to remove all this muck. Change the oil (depending on the cars mileage) Full synthetic does reduce the build up a fair bit, change the filter as this moisture will be mixing with your oil and can cause damage in the long term. Try to avoid short trips as this is where the moisture build up is normally created in the first place.
Do that and your problem should disappear.

Alan S

I assume your car was in a nice warm garage before you set off, At -35c outside your coolent could have frozen solid, allowing the engine to overheat,depending upon where your temp gauge sender is located your temp gauge may not have shown the real situation. :(
Cheers Ranger

I don't think overheating would be the major problem if your coolant froze solid! Well before that, cracking the block and or head due to expansion when freezing would have been the biggest worry, followed by the water pump impeller being siezed and possibly cracking the pump housing when turned...

Cheers

Stuey

hi

well now its +1 C so its much warmer hehe

The car was parked in a warm garage that day and when i arrived at work i had used my engine pre-heater.
Turned out it was as Alan S said the
"mayonnaise" had frozen during the time i was working.

So the next day i had to wash the engine as it was covered with oil ,now i got a new problem ;(.

Since cleaning the engine with lots of water and gotten the engine temp to 92 C for a long while at different occasion (inorder to get all the water to evaporate) i cant seem to find whats been causing my K-lamp to come on every now and then.

any suggestions ?? does anyone know how to do that Ecu test inorder to pinpoint the error ?

iv foundout how to do it =)

<a href="http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/fuel/test.html" target="_blank">http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/fuel/test.html</a>

Just for my benefit, are water pumps positive or non-positive displacement? What can you do if your engine's coolant is frozen solid? If you cant start the car up to thaw the coolant, what option do you have?
Also, does the oil have a freezing temperature?

Humor me.