NSW historic number plates

dayofthejackal

Fellow Frogger
As the NSW historic plates are so much smaller than standard plates the factory holes in a car's bodywork are often too far apart.
Are there any tips out there for the simplest way to secure NSW historic plates ?

The 5952 family of 3M VHB Tape utilizes modified acrylic adhesive on both sides of a very conformable, adhesive foam core. The combination of strength, conform-ability and adhesion makes this family one of the most capable and well-rounded 3M VHB Tapes

As the NSW historic plates are so much smaller than standard plates the factory holes in a car's bodywork are often too far apart.
Are there any tips out there for the simplest way to secure NSW historic plates ?
can you utilise a backing plate normal no. plate size and secure historic plate to that? just a thought..... jim

Yes, a mounting plate with holes to match the new plate and the car would work, except that the bolts/ screws of the new plate would extend through to the surface behind.
If you put spacers between the mounting plate and the car it would stand it off enough to give clearance, and maybe make it legal for visible angle range (recently discussed)

A few months ago I bought a rivnut (otherwise known as a nutsert) tool and a range of nuts to suit from M3 to M6.
I have installed M5 insert nuts in correct location for both types of plate.
They are neat, permanent, easy and inexpensive.
I've used M6 ones extensively in the construction of my hybrid pluriel multicar.
20210120_194121.jpg

Using counter sunk stainless screws and acorn nuts would keep everything flush and tidy and looking neat.

Also could use round head stainless screws and if the mounting plate is thick enough it could be drilled and tapped.

I doubt that any non metal attachment would be legal. No matter how good the double sided tape is, I expect the regulations would specify a metal fastener.

I drilled extra holes, though I was able to get to the back side of the hole, which you may not.
That said, I second the idea of rivnuts. A collection of different size threads and a setting tool kit is definitely one of things "that'll come in handy".

What about something like this?

Attachments

• 559191D3-FC2A-4268-87D0-EAD202DB591E.jpeg
    559191D3-FC2A-4268-87D0-EAD202DB591E.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 217