Non frogie clutch problem

Brad

Fellow Frogger
I am going to break an unwritten rule of this forum and ask for assistance diagnosing a clutch problem in my girlfriends Diahastsu Charade (1985) eek! eek!

The clutch pedal has gone soft and when it is engaged it will not go into gear. If you push hard to get it into gear the engine starts to labor slightly and you can hear a grind...my que to stop pushing.

The cable is fine, it was replaced only 6 months ago and it moves the lever it is connected to going into the top of the gearbox. However, this lever is very soft to move. I would assume that as a clutch lever it would be stiff. I can move it with one finger.

The clutch was not slipping before this happened, and it occured very suddenly.

So what could be in the clutch assembly that could of broken?

<small>[ 02 June 2002, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Phasis ]</small>

Broken fingers on the pressure plate? Collapsed thrust bearing?
Normally there is a hole of some description through which if you look hard enough you can see a bit of what is going on inside. Just check that the shaft to which the activating lever is connected is turning when the pedal is depressed so as to be sure that the lever is turning it and not just slipping on the shaft.

Alan S

the other thing it may be is that the pressure plate spring have given in if you still have a little bit of clutch i'd say that is what it would be
regardless of what the fault may be you are best just to pull it out and put in a new clutch kit