Noisy Koleos front door lock

Clicktracy

Tadpole
Greetings All,
2015 Bose Koleos Petrol and the driver’s (keyless) door lock has started to make an unpleasant grinding sound for about 1 second when locking and unlocking. The other doors just make their normal clunk sound.
Has anybody else had this and/or can offer any advise. I can’t seem to find anything in the workshop manual apart from removing the lock barrel IE just mechanical stuff but there is obviously an electrical locking motor or solenoid to perform the function.
I would like any advance info if possible before I dive in and remove the door trim etc.
Cheers Bob

Yes, this in not uncommon.
What's likely happening is the spindle on one of the gears in the door lock mechanism has partially come out so the gears aren't meshing properly and causing the grinding sound. They'll be intermittent for a while but will eventually stop working. There were two types of locks on the H45 Koleos, one was repairable, and one was not so had to be replaced. The repairable type was fixed by drifting the spindle back in position. But regardless of the type you need to remove the lock mechanism from the door which is not a pleasant job as you have to gut the entire door to get at the lock. I had to do this twice on my Koleos, one front door and one back door.
Do a Google search for Koleos H45 front door lock or similar working and you should pull up some threads.
It has been mentioned on this forum before so a search here should pull up some hits.

Cheers RTT.

There are two types of the same door lock: One with the spindle/axle/shaft that holds the gear in place protruding through the lock housing, and the other where that spindle hole is closed.
As RenTinTin correctly said, where the spindle is exposed it eventually drifts out, with all the door slamming etc, and the gear comes adrift, causing it to go grrrrrrrr! and eventually fail.
The simple cure is to push the spindle back all the way in, and stop it from coming out again. I inserted a piece of bent metal strapping in place as a stop. You do not have to dismantle or remove the door lock as this can be accomplished simply through the striker plate hole, best with a small screwdriver. I will attempt to send you photos, if they will go through on this site. No, just as I suspected, file too large.
Otherwise send me an email to <hwbreitenstein@hotmail.com> and I will forward the pics to you that way.

Hi Clicktracy, I have trawled through previous posts under the heading "Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems" and have found two useful references to the door lock problem: One on Page 36 started by "Mase", and another, longer, and more comprehensive thread on
Page 44, started by "Breitie" (me) that goes on a bit to Page 46, where you will find everything you need to know to fix your door
problem, including photos to illustrate the simple "fix" through the striker hole, and showing the "pin". with and without opening.
Have fun.

Having read through all the bumpf on pages 36, 44, 45 and 46, to save you time I recommend you go straight to page 46, and post #906, that tells you all you need to know. Should be an easy job for you now.

Last edited:
Oops! Bad idea to publish my e-mail here? All of a sudden I get hundreds of unsolicited 'phishing' e-mails.
Cannot say for sure if that is the result of my e-mail appearing here, but who knows. Seems coincidental.
Has any clever reader of this forum got ideas about killing the phishing? I think the stuff comes out of Russia.