Noisey C2 Brakes

Thats good to hear as there were lots of complaints ages ago about the auto mode around town. Pity we didnt get the MOS version here though. Ateco has no plans to bring it here either....:cry:

Antiseize goo

Hi Chris,
Can you tell me the name of the antiseize goo please. I have tried three or four different "squeal stop" products on my GS and they only last about 3 weeks then the squealling starts again.

Many thanks, Andrew.

chris said:
Rear brakes on a GS are notorious squeakers, but you can quite easily fix them so they never do it again, ever. Just pull the pads out and smear the backs and edges (not the faces!) with antiseize goo. Might be worth a try... I do it to any new brake pads I fit now.

Chris

Hi Andrew,

Walk straight past the anti-squeal products, as far as I can tell they're a gimmick.

You want anti-seize paste of the type you'd put on a bolt, somewhere like Repco shold have it but might offer you Loctite instead, which is not what you want :rolleyes: . The stuff I've got is called Molycote (I think), Copaslip is another one. Smear it fairly thickly on the back of the pad where the cylinder presses, then put a thin smear along the edges of the pad where they touch the caliper. DON'T get it on the front of the pad or on the disk!

With a GS the rear calipers often sieze as they don't get much exercise, so while you're in there lever them back a bit with a screwdriver to make sure they move OK. Press the brake pedal and repeat as needed. The anti-seize should keep them free after that.

Hope that helps,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the info :) . It will go straight to the top of my "things to do" list :spanner:

Cheers, ...... Andrew

chris said:
Hi Andrew,

Walk straight past the anti-squeal products, as far as I can tell they're a gimmick.

You want anti-seize paste of the type you'd put on a bolt, somewhere like Repco shold have it but might offer you Loctite instead, which is not what you want :rolleyes: . The stuff I've got is called Molycote (I think), Copaslip is another one. Smear it fairly thickly on the back of the pad where the cylinder presses, then put a thin smear along the edges of the pad where they touch the caliper. DON'T get it on the front of the pad or on the disk!

With a GS the rear calipers often sieze as they don't get much exercise, so while you're in there lever them back a bit with a screwdriver to make sure they move OK. Press the brake pedal and repeat as needed. The anti-seize should keep them free after that.

Hope that helps,
Chris

Last edited:
artisan said:
It will go straight to the top of my "things to do" list :spanner:

You have one of those too! :banana: :banana:

Mine keeps getting longer instead of shorter, someday soon I'll get around to the things I thought needed doing when I first bought the car :joker:

What a noise

It is an odd noise, agreed, I had a passenger in my C2 who thought that i tooted my horn as i reversed out of a parking space in the middle of Surfers Paradise! :nownow: It was the noise from the rear brakes grabbing, mostly audable as I reversed at slower speeds.
I had to persist with the dealer to take the car and repair the problem. European Autos replaced the rear brake calipers and tooled around doing what they do,for 2 days!
The noise is still there faintly :confused: It is 80% better but I am used to it now, it is a small consideration for a spirited drive.

PS: Car goes in for the 20k service on Thursday.

I tried the orange "Disc Brake Quiet" stuff a few weeks ago on the backs of the C2's rear pads, however it made no difference at all.

It's booked in next week purposely to have the rear brake problem fixed under warranty. Parts are ordered apon Citroen's approval & it seems there is a known fix for them!

I'll let you C2 owners know how it goes.

Noisy brake fix

It will be interesting to hear how you go with the brake fix, gibgib...I am booking in my C2 for its 20K service in about a month, so if it is successful, I will be asking that they fix mine as well.

Cheers

Nil Time said:
It will be interesting to hear how you go with the brake fix, gibgib...I am booking in my C2 for its 20K service in about a month, so if it is successful, I will be asking that they fix mine as well. Cheers
Is this a Citroen dealer only? Be interested what the breakdown of the C2 20K service is see how it compares to Peugeots offerenings on small cars. Suspect it's probably very very similar .. then again a Corolla is probably the same too !

- xTc -

Breaks are fixed!

Citroen authorised supply & fit of modified caliper retaining brackets a month ago under warranty, & yesterday they were fitted.

No squeaks now... not a sausage :wink2:

Also under warranty was a new sensodrive actuator (product recall) & associated software download for it.

We upgraded the sensodrive software when it went in for squeaky brake assessment with big improvements to gear changing in auto mode also.

Brisbane Citroen did well :)

XTC206 said:
Is this a Citroen dealer only? Be interested what the breakdown of the C2 20K service is see how it compares to Peugeots offerenings on small cars. Suspect it's probably very very similar .. then again a Corolla is probably the same too !

- xTc -

I have just booked the car in for its 20000km service at Citroen Melbourne - they quoted me $386.00 for it, which I think is pretty comparable to the 10000km service on my wife's Mazda 2.

Good news on the brake fix, gib gib - I have mentioned it to them, and I hope that I get the same result that you did! :)

Good Value

gibgib said:
20,000k service (done yesterday also) was $262 including Mobil 1 oil.

Wow, good price....I called the other Citroen Service place in Melbourne - and was advised that it would be about $500.00 :(

Cheers

Wow, good price....I called the other Citroen Service place in Melbourne - and was advised that it would be about $500.00 :(
Pays to shop around for Victorians bigtime it seems.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

danielsydney said:
Pays to shop around for Victorians bigtime it seems.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You are not wrong, Daniel! :tongue:

It's a pity that I cannot shop around Brisbane citroen!

Still, as long as they do a good job, I will not complain.

Cheers

the noise in the citroen c2 rear brakes is a recall issue..
take your c2 to your dealer an they will fix under warrenty..

after having had many french cars, all i can say is they are supposed to squeak - its the french way reminding you that the brakes are working :roflmao:

Yes, Indeed

jasC2 said:
the noise in the citroen c2 rear brakes is a recall issue..
take your c2 to your dealer an they will fix under warrenty..

I innocently asked the dealer - "have there been any recalls affecting my car?" - he replied that he could not tell me without knowing the VIN number, (which is fair enough) - and that any recall work would be done as part of the service that I have booked. I made a point of mentioning the squeaky brakes, and he will look at them.

I must say that I am suffering withdrawal symptons being without my c2 whilst I am up here in Newcastle... :( - I look forward to getting home every Friday to go for a blat in it any also on my bike..

Cheers

danielsydney said:
The rear brakes on my C3 have sqeaked since new....:D

Same with the Xsara... squeaking since new.

The C4 DOESNT SQUEAK AT ALL! (Best feature!)