no start 308 HDI

pugwash

VIP Paid Subscriber
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
had a call from my daughter in lawyesterday, car wont start ,just goes click .have tried a jump start from passer by ,can you help .so i take some tools and jumper leads ,long socket extension to give the starter a tap ,stinking hot day parked nose in at the beach Coolangatta ,no response from tapping ,me thinks , ,have tried jump start , lets go home ,too hot ,my son and i went there this morning with a spare starter i had from my ex 307 ,from under the bench ,as you do ,so we turn the lights on try the starter, lights stay bright ,still just a solenoid click ,we try a jump start from the trusty 404 ,and it starts first pop ,took the battery to sunshine batterys in Murwillumbah showing only 10 volts its 4 years old ,so buy a new battery ,we were all ready to change the starter at the beach in light rain ,lucky we tried the jump start again ,sounded for all the world like the solenoid was jaming ,you never stop learning ,check the simple things first

I had a similar experience with a 508 a fortnight ago. Initially declined to see the key and if it did there wasn't even a starter click, it threw a handbrake failure warning, the full Christmas tree effect with sound, dancing wipers and no response to the Stop button. 9.26V so a cell evidently died suddenly. It did start with a jump and behaved normally with another battery. Original 2016 battery, so that's a remarkably long life for a battery, but it just didn't make it to the upcoming service. It is a case of needing to follow the handbook to replace the battery because it's not two terminal and a hold-down bolt as it once was!

i was wondering how the earth connection was made on the initial jump start that didnt work ,the 307 and 308 have an earth terminal on the raiator suport pannel ,specificly designed for jump starting as the terminal on the battery is inaccesable when the battery is installed ,aparently they looked up on the net how to connect the jumper leads ,but i dought ,that it was peugeot spacific ,the fact that it had failed to jump start the first time made me lean towards the starter as rhe problem ,the little window in the battery showed green ,but when tested the battery guy said it had a weak sell ,