No spare wheel?

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
This is the dumbest of dumb. A few days ago I was driviing the rcz and hit what must have been a "ridge" rising out of the road, the road wasn't broken up with potholes to make it visible. I bloody near shit myself, it sounded like a shotgun going off in my ear .... I figured the frail crappy strut suspension would be somewhere near the back axle given the horndous sound it made .... and the wheel would be buckled beyond repair.... ie: bugger it, I never got around to finding a spare for this car.... Now I'm stranded 20km out of town in the dark...... and I'll need to find someone to go fire up the shitbox, empty the car trailer, hook it up .... bring it out here ..... Even then I'm not sure if the RCZ will fit on the car trailer as its so damn wide.

Anyway, I pulled over ... to find everything perfectly fine :confused: ??? How?? It was so LOUD. Anyway, none of this crap.

20230311_114501.jpg

If this is the dumbest thing ..... Anyone who depends on that crap is as dumb as poogoe is for not putting a spare in the car. There is no doubt, pretty much any flat in this car with stupidly big wheels is going to be ... destroyed tire and bent wheels as there is nowhere near enough sidewall in the tires.

20230311_105735.jpg

I whipped the foam bit out .... and the wheel well is quite large ... why no spare ?? Absolutely nuts!
20230311_105754.jpg

This is all you get. Its only now I notice I do actually have a jack and wheel brace. I'd been searching around for a jack and wheel brace for the car assuming it didn't have one.

20230311_105712.jpg

I have four poogoe 407 16" wheels here that can't be balanced .... That was driving me nuts, so a few years ago I rang aroudn the local wreckers and amazingly found someone wrecking a 407 ... that had center caps in the wheels (unfortunately 17" .... why do the numpties fit stupidly big wheels to a family car so it rides ever worse ?). Anyway, I scored a set of 17" wheels with bolts and brand new quality tires fitted for not much money. Look what I just spotted on the first 16" wheel I rolled over to try on this car :eek: My wife was driving around on that :eek: .... Oh, and by the way. I've recently found out bloody poogoes 17" wheels also cannot be balanced :mallet: :blackeye: that bloody center cap doesn't push out.... if you break it out not realising you will find a hole to small for a balancer to use.

20230311_111943.jpg

The 16" wheel fit well on the back ....

20230311_112903.jpg

There isn't a snowmans chance in hell its clearing those brakes on the front.

20230311_112927.jpg

Look at the size of them! They would be bigger than Citroen DS brake rotors .... just enormous.

20230311_112015.jpg

While I was here I got rid of these crazy things. I think I've used all the wheel bolts that came with the 17" 407 wheels now, the 407, rcz and c2 have all had these mongrel locking bolts removed. Anyone crazy enough to want them out there ?

The 407 16" wheel fits in the boot pretty much perfectly. I did run a straight edge over it and the tacky plastic poogoe badge in the middle of the wheel is the highest point. So I scraped that off..... And went to put in the wheel in the boot .....

er .... lets reference the original picture again ....

20230311_105735.jpg

There is a big raised bracket in the middle of the recess that the wheel it going to sit and rattle on ..... I don't want to remove this, so I'm going to have to put the wheel in upside down. This means the tools can't sit in the middle of the wheel.

20230311_114322.jpg

To get around this, I wrapped bits and pieces in a sheet of foam I found blowing around the yard ...

20230311_115517.jpg

and cable tied it in so it would stay in place.

If anyone else needs a 16" 407 wheel, I have 3 here still that hold air (tires are crap) .... even the cracked one would be better than nothing if your stuck in the middle of nowhere!

seeya,
Shane L.

The wheel centre caps on my two Cits are both 60mm wide at the front face. They push out easily, and all the tyres were balanced without issues.

Unfortunately big discs and big wheels are made for each other.

I can't figure out through all the ranting if the wheel and the rcz was actually all ok?

I have no spare in my 308 and it has 380mm front rotors. There is a well in the boot for a spare but no chance of getting a 19" wheel in there.

I can't figure out through all the ranting if the wheel and the rcz was actually all ok?

I have no spare in my 308 and it has 380mm front rotors. There is a well in the boot for a spare but no chance of getting a 19" wheel in there.

Do you need a 16" ? I have 3 spare here! The RCZ seems fine ... which is just bizare, it made a hell of a noise 😖 If you get a flat on the front, you'll just have to put the spare on the back .... and move the back wheel to the front :)

Do you need a 16" ? I have 3 spare here! The RCZ seems fine ... which is just bizare, it made a hell of a noise 😖 If you get a flat on the front, you'll just have to put the spare on the back .... and move the back wheel to the front :)
Hmm, glad it is ok! I have to admit the wheels on my car are a constant source or fear. I wouldn't be comfortable driving it in sparsely populated areas. Mind you driving round Sydney there's some craters on the road that can't be avoided and haven't had an issue yet.

It is silly though. The car would work perfectly with smaller brakes and even 18" wheels would be better.

I would take a 16" spare for sure... But might not survive the drive south to get it 😜

big brakes and wheels on a car like the RCZ that is pretending its a sports car is fine ..... on a passenger sedan like a 407 its just nuts though.

In a country like Australia, no car should be sold without a spare though. Even a space saver .... its too easy to be stranded hundreds of kms from the nearest place that can supply and fit a tire. Even if you limited to some tiny speed rating, its still better than being stranded for such a silly reason (the roads around here are just absolutely appalling). in a car like the RCZ I find I'm often driving down the roads with the center line dead center of thte car ... trying to avoid the heavily broke up surface. No wonder most people think they need a 4wd these days :(

It's about stopping distance. The kinetic energy to be dissipated is 0.5*mass*speed-squared as taught at school.

Setting a design stopping distance for this energy determines the braking torque required, allowing for dynamic weight transfer to the front. That torque in turn determines disc diameter if caliper force and pad friction are constant. The larger disc allows a larger lever arm.

You can drive the quite heavy sedan easily at speeds that need large discs.

It's about stopping distance. The kinetic energy to be dissipated is 0.5*mass*speed-squared as taught at school.

Setting a design stopping distance for this energy determines the braking torque required, allowing for dynamic weight transfer to the front. That torque in turn determines disc diameter if caliper force and pad friction are constant. The larger disc allows a larger lever arm.

You can drive the quite heavy sedan easily at speeds that need large discs.

Interesting, I've never really found my CX under braked, and its brakes are probably a similar size to the 407s. It has more power, acceleration and top speed than both the cars above. Its designed use is really high speed cruising though..... take it on a race track like some would with an RCZ and your brakes would be gone pretty quickly.

The RCZ must stop phenomenally quickly given the weight on the front axle ... and the sheer friction surface those front calipers have :dance:

I'm guessing my main problem is I'm used to driving cars with proper suspension .... That actually absorbs road imperfections rather htan slamming into them with great force. Everyone has different priorities though.

I sure do NOT agree with no spare .... not ever. Unless of course its a "track only" vehicle.

why do people buy cars then complain take away know what you are buying. Anyway most rtards around can’t even change a tyre

They are my wifes cars .... I'd never buy a poogoe unless it had some decent suspension put under it :clown: That's probably why I don't own anything built this century.... The newest car I've ever owned is the shitbox range rover.

You know, I didn't even give spare wheels a thought when the boss women got the RCZ. Who in there right mind would think a manufacturer would be insane enough not to put a spare wheel in a car ..... So why would you ever htink to check for it! every car since the dawn of motoring has had at least one single spare.

On the bright side, at least the RCZ wheels can be balanced (damn there heavy though .... I thought the idea of big alloy wheels was they were supposed to be light weight ). I'm happy now either way, the car has a spare in it .... so shouldn't be stranded for such a dumb reason as a flat tire. The wheel brace and jack work surprisingly well. The angles of the wheel brace will allow you to "jump" on the brace to loosen the wheels nuts if they have been rattled down tight at a tire shop.